Missing local audio on Roon Remote - probably the duplicate machine-id issue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Pro 2013, OS 10.15.4, Roon 1.7, Build 537 (Same as remote)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Single Layer-2 network connected to the ethernet switch, no IGMP snooping or anything inhibiting multicast.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All audio devices regardless of type that exist on the remote Mac are not seen, the core attached devices are listed as “This Mac” which of course they aren’t.

Description Of Issue

Devices on the mac running as remote Roon are not seen. Devices on all other roon clients are seen as are the ones attached to the core, though miscategorised as “This Mac”. Diving into the RAAT server logs it is clear on both the core and remote that they are using the same machine ID which I assume is the root cause of the problem.

I am having the exact same problem but with 2 Microsoft Surface Pro4s. I’ve spent the last 2 days trying to figure out why I cant get audio from my 2nd Surface Pro. I figured that somehow Roon was thinking they were one and the same machine. After seeing your post I checked the RAAT server logs and sure and enough they both have the same machine id. To add a bit more info, if I install RoonBridge on the second Surface Pro4, it shows up in Setting:About but still has the same problem.

@Jeff_Steele had the solution to the problem, found over here:

Fixed my issue straight away.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that is for a Mac. I cannot find any such file in Windows. I notice in the original problem that Jeff reported Roon support never indicated where they get the machine id from or that it was stored in a file somewhere. One question for you. I originally had the Roon Core installed on the Surface Pro that I am now having the problem with. I then uninstalled it and installed it on the Surface Pro it is now on. Just wondering if you had done the same and if that is why the machine id is the same. Thanks.

Ah yes. Correct, they did not describe how the ID was created but I believe it persisted because I turned my “old” machine into a core and then “restored” my old user onto the new Mac. I suspect what is going on is that if the .rmembid file does not exist then Roon creates one drawing from some unknown parameters of the machine. However if it already exists I think Roon just sticks with it. I suspect that restoring my old user account also imported the .rmembid file and that the new machine then became stuck with the old ID. Deleting the old ID I suspect Roon created a new ID and since it was a new machine, it was indeed unique and problem fixed. The question is, where is that file on Windows? That, I’m not sure!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.