Missing permissions for Folder containing Music Files and playlists, strange name of USB Disc

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Nucleus is connected to ethernet
USB disc with Music files is connected the nucleus
Network connection all seems to work fine > see path…

Info regarding the USB disc: Samsung_SSD_840_EVO (formatted MAC OS Extended)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB Bel Canto - works fine, there are no issues with playing music

Description Of Issue

a) the name of the disc appears as MEDIADISC_Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_000000123ADA_b3d4f498-16a7-36f7-8e5f-e46d7d8cd096-p2 (very long name) instead of MEDIADISC only - why is this the case?

b1) it is not possible to copy the XML playlist file to the folder "LIBRARY_FILES"
b2) it is also not possible to copy music files to this folder or to rip CD’s into this folder from iTunes

see according screen shots with error messages:

it is possible to copy the XML file one level higher then the folder “LIBRARY_FILES” only
but moving (trying to move) the XML file from there to the folder “LIBRARY_FILES” leads to another error message

iTunes (or now better Music) sees the LIBRARY_FILES correctly
/Volumes/Data/Storage/MEDIADISC_Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_000000123ADA_b3d4f498-16a7-36f7-8e5f-e46d7d8cd096-p2/LIBRARY_FILES

Roon choose to present a long name with information. Which is your Drive Name, Drive Queried Information(Drive Model and Model number) and then Roon’s own GUID at the end. Probably to help with troubleshooting and to prevent users from adding in multiple drives with the same name. (That is my guess, support might be able to give more insight).

The issue is that you have formatted the drive as (formatted MAC OS Extended). Linux, which is what Nucleus runs, mounts that file system in read only mode. Reformat to exFAT will allow you to read/write. Don’t forget to copy the music off before reformatting the drive or you’ll lose the information. The safest bet might be to get a new drive, format it in exFAT, copy the music over and then set it up on the Nucleus. If all goes well, then you can re-purpose the original drive.

1 Like

Hi Daniel. Problem solved. Thank you. A first test with a exFAT formatted disc has confirmed what you said.

Regarding the XML files (playlists): Before iTunes became Music the XML files where named “iTunes.XML”. Now they are named “Music.xml” if exported from Music (iTunes). Does roon recognise these files as well or do I have to rename them to the former name? Or does roon only consider the file extension?

I am not an iTunes user. But, have you taken a read of the Roon iTunes FAQ? It might answer your question. From my quick view, it seems to say Yes it reads the xml playlists, but the music has to be in the same location AND you need to enable iTunes for that storage location. Anway, take a read. https://kb.roonlabs.com/iTunes

Hi Daniel. Thats the problem:-) All documents refer to iTunes and its preferences/settings and not to its successor MUSIC which has replaced iTunes recently. MUSIC is different in some aspects. Also on how it handles playlists. I’ll give it a try.

Well, than you might want to wait until support can come in and give it an official, this works with the new Music software.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.