MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

All the files on my PC are also backed up to a separate usb drive. Also I still have all my CDs. I haven’t made the jump to cloud backups because I’m already using Google drive extensively to backup family photos and videos, and jumping to the 2 or 5 TB pricing tier is pricy… If I lost my 90 GB library, I wouldn’t stop listening to music.

I’ll look into these sync recommendations. Thanks!

No need for cloud, just take a copy and leave it with a friend/family member. I do appreciate it’s a dull message, I’ve just seen a lot of tears shed over irretrievable milk.

1 Like

Next ROCK/MOCK test will be the HP Elite Slice G2 while i wait for a new CPU to continue test of the HP Z2 G4 mini.

I had forgotten i had one at work, it was used maybe 20 times then forgotten and put away, anyway is also a cute little mashine that might be up for the task.

HP Elite Slice for Meeting Rooms G2 Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Elite Slice G2 - Components | HP® Customer Support

Thanks for this note about USB sticks vs external drives. I wonder whether the heat issue varies depending on what version of USB is being used - 2 vs 3 vs 3.whatever. Any thoughts on whether the speed really matters in this context? I imagine it’s almost all reads and very little if any writing.

For now, I’m using a USB stick marked “USB 3.0” for data on my Lenovo M75 MOCK system. This PC has a second internal M.2 SSD slot, which I had originally planned to use for a data drive. But I determined after a few failed attempts that the second slot is disabled on the fanless version of this PC! Fanless is what I wanted, so external data is what I got! :slight_smile:

Brian its always the same when we make plans.

I always figure that it is the proximity to the port that causes USB drives to become extremely hot and corrupt and the smaller the form factor the worse. But other times they are fine so I cannot explain it.

Speed of reads of music files should be no issue even for a slower USB stick so let it go and see how it goes. I believe they are just a copy as well so not a lot to lose by trying it.
Good luck

1 Like

1 Like

Up board (1st gen, 5V version) can install and run ROCK. If internal storage is less than 64G just use a USB flash drive and install ROCK on that drive.

1 Like

ROCK has to go on SATA or NVME based memory. If you try to load it on eMMC or launch it from USB, it won’t work. It doesn’t even see eMMC storage. Are you talking specifically about ROCK or Roon on Linux (which will work)? I’ve loaded ROCK on Atom based devices before. But only for endpoint duties.

It’s ROCK for sure. The Up board I have is 32GB internal storage version which is insufficient (64GB at least) so I attached a USB SSD to Up board and install / run ROCK successfully.

Oh, that’s cool. I put Roon on a Pipo x8 and it ran (on Widows) but wasn’t very smooth. My guess is this will be better using ROCK?

Worth a try. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for that review Brian. I’m always scouting out new (or used) hardware that might be a candidate for either ROCK, or Roon-Server. The Lenevo seems like a worthy option to consider.

If you’re still using that config, you can use Open Core Legacy Patcher to take it up to ventura. That would likely solve your ethernet driver issues. I’m running Roon Server on the 2012 i7 version.

Hi all!
Can someone tell me if it is possible to install ROCK as a second system, so that if necessary, you can reboot into Mac OS X.
Mac Mini 2012, SSD 240GB - of which 120 GB for Mac OS X and 120 GB for ROCK?
If it is possible, how can I force it to be installed in the selected partition?
Because I ran the installer from a flash drive, but it suggests choosing an SSD and erasing all the information on it;).
Thanks for the replies and advice!!!

ROCK will not run alongside another OS. It occupies the entire SSD it is installed on.

1 Like

As noted below on a single volume it’s not going to work, but a mini with 2 physical drives should be workable

But to be honest why bother…get a half decent intel machine and use that.

1 Like

It is an Intel machine! :wink:

1 Like

Generic one

A story in pictures.

4 Likes