Moderation in MQA Threads

I don’t think some people want to solve world hunger, it appears to me that they would rather have a row and try to discredit someone else.
I guess it goes back to ‘my dads bigger than yours’.
The internet has made a few world champion typing ‘tough’ people by providing a safe environment. That’s why I prefer wit and sarcasm, it goes above their heads.

3 Likes

While this laudable and I’m inclined to agree, all these subjects would break moderation rules. That’s a good thing BTW, I’ve seen enough political discussions online to know the Roon forum is virtually a non-contact sport in comparison. To discourage discussion about music related subjects in favour of politics on a music forum feels perverse, and is unlikely to usher in a new era of forum peace.

That’s still consistent with sarcasm as the lowest form of wit :wink:

3 Likes

Please - a bunch of (mostly) affluent, (often) caucasian, (majority) males, (statistically more likely to be) of a certain age and from the western world duking it out on their brilliant solutions for the rest of the world has always resulted in optimal solutions, everyone knows that.

As a matter of fact, given how lucid and altruistic people here have shown themselves to be on such hot-button topics as “should ressources be devoted to features that I don’t use”, I can think of no one more qualified.

2 Likes

Of course you are right!

I was just trying to point out that some of the posts in this and other MQA threads are way way over the top, in a way that could make one believe that those people are of the view that MQA is the root of all evil in the world!

2 Likes

I sometimes wonder if the pro-MQA side does most of the flagging, but I might be wrong (That’s my impression anyway). I’d love to see statistics, but am sure that is impossible even if the Roon team wanted to. But i’d still like to hear their impressions on that.

or just shifted to more appropriate threads.

Honestly, I don’t know and I don’t think we should try to find out or take it into account in some way. Mods call flags as we see them. We don’t try to ‘balance up’ agreed and rejected flags according to what side of a debate they may be on.

In Rugby’s Weekly Google Meet today I heard there are posts on Audiophile Style asserting that Roon and the Mods are engaged in some kind of concerted defence of MQA. Unfortunately the $$$$ for this service haven’t filtered down to me. In my experience no Roon staff have ever tried to influence Mods to moderate MQA posts in some way favourable to MQA. The concern is always about the quality of the discussion and the health of the Forum.

There is, in fact, a variety of opinion about MQA amongst the Admins and the Mods. Some, such as Danny and I have expressed a view criticising aspects of MQA or its marketing. Some support MQA. Others have been careful to avoid expressing any opinion, whether they have one or not. None of us, so far as I am aware, have ever made a moderation decision based on whether a post or user is in favour or critical of MQA.

9 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Moderation in Moderation of MQA threads thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Moderation in Moderation of MQA threads thread

Hardly!

I guess your reply goes some way to making my point for me.

Or that person can say what I said. Thanks, though.

1 Like

Perhaps a thread like “Proprietary music formats – existential threats?” could be formed to discuss that, while still avoiding all the pseudo-technical bafflegab pros and cons about the M the name of which may not be mentioned. It would be interesting to discuss past examples from the larger media world.

Love that Bostrom link, btw. Particularly this line:

Bostrom points to the lack of agreement among most philosophers as an indication that most philosophers are wrong

My oh my. What are the implications of that chain of reasoning for audiophiles?

3 Likes

From the Roon Forum Behavior Rules:

Avoid Behaviors That Breed Incivility

We expect everyone to act like a group of friends who respect each other, no matter what their differences are. Below, we’ve listed some behaviors that friend groups wouldn’t tolerate, and aren’t tolerated here either.

Endless Contrarianism

It’s ok to disagree with others, but if you find yourself engaged with the same battles over and over again, it’s time to move on. If you are developing a reputation around an issue or position, then you’re not building constructive discussion. Move on.

Axe-grinding

If you keep gravitating back to a specific topic, theme, or complaint, it’s best you let it go or find somewhere else to grind your axe. Axe-grinding derails otherwise civil topics and is tiresome to others. Axe-grinding isn’t about what you post or whether it’s accurate, but about how often you bring up the topic. Axe-grinding is toxic behavior, and you don’t need to repeatedly restate your position, no matter how valid your issue / concern / point is.

Griefing / Trolling

Griefing is a softer version of trolling, where one baits another community member into getting the discussion heated. Additionally, following users from topic to topic just to harass them, is not allowed. As always, stay on topic, and keep the discussion to the topic, not its participants.

Persistent Negativity

If your negative contributions outweigh your positive contributions, it’s a good signal that you might need to take a break. Criticism is welcome, but it should also be constructive, and it shouldn’t be the sum-total of everything you contribute.

Ranting

Much like axe-grinding, ranting often derails otherwise civil topics and is tiresome to other participants. If you can’t make your point without inflammatory language, ad hominem attacks, or excessive posting, please rethink your approach.

Grudges

Don’t carry ill-will from previous discussions into new discussions. Holding grudges erodes the community and is often the precursor to some of the behavior patterns detailed here.

Megaphoning / Clickbait

Topic titles should describe the content of the topic and/or solicit discussion. They shouldn’t be used as a megaphone to provoke others or loudly make your point. If a topic title contains inflammatory language or is misleading about the actual content of the thread (clickbait) it will be edited by staff or removed altogether.

2 Likes

"When the chips are down, these civilized people, they’ll eat each other.” – The Joker :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think that the need for moderating MQA threads may be disappearing rapidly . With Apple entering the lossless streaming, Amazon immediately adding lossless to prime, Qobuz, and soon Spotify all those BIG labels that would force MQA only on us, suddenly look a lot smaller. Life is good.

1 Like

I think you mean Tidal rather than Qobuz.

However, in any case do you not use Roon, which makes Amazon and Apple Music an irrelevance?
Otherwise, why bother posting on the Roon forum?

3 Likes

My bad, I was not clear. My post should read:
I think that the need for moderating MQA threads may be disappearing rapidly . Apple is entering the lossless streaming (no MQA), Amazon adding lossless (no MQA) to prime, Qobuz already supporting hi-res and NO MQA, and soon Spotify will be making lossless available (no MQA) as well.
In this context the BIG labels that would like to force us into MQA only are suddenly look a lot smaller. Life is good.

Better? And I certainly hope that Roon will adjust its development effort to what makes sense in the current market.

2 Likes

One thing I’m curious about is Roon’s apparently relaxed attitude to statements that would normally be considered libellous.

I appreciate there are differences between USA and UK libel law, but nonetheless, comments similar to “x and y are a pair of liars” or “this is a total con” surely makes Roons’ lawyers nervous.

2 Likes

in. the US, if it’s opinion, it will not be libelous. And virtually all of what is posted in the community is opinion, even a lot of the links posted to support a point of view.

The only person, imho, who might have a case, using this definition, is Bob Stewart. Even though I hate MQA, and his claims about it, I still feel that some of the comments made about him borderline on being libelous, and although I don’t think any court in the U.S. would rule them libelous, I think many are unfair. People, turn down the rhetoric, and make it more civil, please. I yield my soap box for now.

1 Like

Thats interesting because I also seen two other sites have threads about Roon protecting tidal from mqa criticism. While people wait for weeks to get help from roon.