More cloud network storage options for storage

This would be pretty cool. I know Roon integrates with Dropbox already, but I have just assumed that this is streaming only…no folder sync’ing.

2 Likes

How do you find the performance of this? When we did Dropbox support a few years ago, we also did GDrive, but it was so slow we decided not to ship it. Dropbox is pretty slow too, but GDrive was like 10x slower.

We tried to do Dropbox for holding the music too, but they were so brutal on copyright enforcement that it made the feature worthless. Even in the backups, we have to obfuscate the data… a Roon database backup can contain album artwork that they mark as copyrighted and do not let you download it. It means corrupt backups. Funny thing was that the first cover they dinged as copyrighted was a free download from Trent Reznor.

4 Likes

Sorry for not putting this under Feature Requests - I wasn’t sure if you wanted to ship this for all of Roon or just for Roon Nuclei devices, since non-Nuclei devices can set up Drive Backup and Sync (or the aforementioned google-drive-ocamlfuse) and then add the appropriate (sub)folder under “Storage”.

How do you find the performance of this?

I honestly don’t know how the performance is if you’re trying to stream files. The advantage of using something like google-drive-ocamlfuse is that it locally caches file contents and only re-syncs them on updates. This results in far better latencies than trying to stream things live, but also means that you need enough local storage to be able to handle the cache.

We tried to do Dropbox for holding the music too, but they were so brutal on copyright enforcement that it made the feature worthless.

I haven’t had any issues with copyright enforcement with Google Drive.

You know, I really appreciate these little nuggets you share from time to time… they make understanding why things are how they are so much easier (not sarcasm, lol).

3 Likes

I would like to be able to sync my library up and down to back it up to other cloud services. Not sure streaming from them is a good idea though. But adding gdrive, one drive etc would be handy, just having one provider is not great. Currently have to use my Nas to do this.

1 Like

You can do this with OneDrive. Have a music folder set up in your local OneDrive hierarchy on Windows, and then set this as a Watched Folder in Roon.

Alternatively, use the OneDrive music folder as a second backup for your music files, then you don’t use it as a Watched Folder.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what I am doing. Works great. I am a Microsoft 365 subscriber. €69 a year for 1TB cloud storage, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, lots of free Skype minutes and more. Has to be one of the best deals around.

I dont use windows for music playback so not much use, I use ROCK for my core and the music location so being able to back it up would be beneficial and my database to at the moment, my nas pulls data from ROCK and then uploads it. As i subscribe to Office 365 I get the storage at a good rate for all the family so dont need or want to use Dropbox as well. They all offer apis for connecting to these services so I dont get why Roon only has Dropbox,

Limited development and support resources versus an ever-increasing list of feature requests, I would guess.

You can do this with OneDrive. Have a music folder set up in your local OneDrive hierarchy on Windows, and then set this as a Watched Folder in Roon.

You’re absolutely right, so long as you’re hosting Roon on say a Windows/MacOS box. On those you can pretty much set this up for any/every cloud storage host that has a client which locally caches data (eg, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and I think Box, too, although I’m not 100% certain on that). Hell, you can even set up a cron’d rsync task to do this if you wished.

However, this request specifically is for the Roon Nucleus/Nucleus+. I’m not sure there’s a way I can set this up myself on my Nucleus+ without ssh access and more in-depth knowledge of the OS. I like the hardware itself, but the lack of flexibility may result in me returning it and setting up a Mac Mini or something similar. :frowning:

I used the example of having a Watched Folder set up for network access to a Windows machine acting as a NAS. That would work, and I could do it here at home, but I don’t like using a NAS with my ROCK/NUC, therefore I would fall back to the concept of using the OneDrive folder as a Backup for my music files.

I used the example of having a Watched Folder set up for network access to a Windows machine acting as a NAS.

Aah, I see what you mean. That would absolutely work if I had an always-on machine other than the Nucleus+. Unfortunately, limited space apartments kinda suck so all I really have that I can use for this is my personal laptop which isn’t always booted. When it is booted, it’s not always booted into Windows (I dual-boot Windows and Kubuntu). I got the Nucleus+ specifically because (1) I could hide it easily behind my TV on top of my PS4 and (2) it requires very little (if any) setup/maintenance work from me :smiley:

1 Like

I second that - I am running out of space with Dropbox, and use it now exclusively to backup Roon. Upgrading to 2TB is an option but not considering it, too expensive and Google Drive is a much lower cost proposition. It shouldn’t be a big effort to add other backup storage options for Roon users in the Settings menu.
Perhaps something to share with the Roon Tech guys?

4 Likes

Why is Dropbox the only cloud storage option?

I already pay for storage on Apple iCloud and Google Drive. I’d rather not have to add a $9.99 / month plan with dropbox just for music / Roon.

Any plans to add iCloud or Google Drive integration soon?

I can’t answer the question on Roon’s plans.

However, as an alternative to Dropbox … perform the DB backup to a folder on local disk, and then sync that folder to an offsite service of your choice.

Personally I prefer this approach, of having both local and remote copies.

Ah, I was actually hoping to store my music in the cloud but that doesn’t appear to be an option right now. The cloud integration is purely for DB backup?

Hi @Kyle_Fieleke,

I see, though Roon maybe considering something … see this topic …

1 Like

Im thinking about trying this. I have 25tb+ Flac.
Have anyone tried this?
Dont you get API bans from google doing this?
Is it fast or do you have to wait long between songs?

Thanks!

Not sure about 25TB but I recently upgraded my Google One service to 2TB (to replace my Amazon storage) and just pointed the Google backup and sync app to my Music folder (it’s about 750GB) and is also backed up to OneDrive and went up and backs up perfectly.

Was surprised how quickly the data went up and it syncs faster than OneDrive which also surprised .

(I can only aspire to 25TB but I have gone back to working hard on this)

I was thinking of moving all my music to google drive.
i run backup locally and then i have a cron job that copies it to google drive :slight_smile:

1 Like