What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

Oh, do tell what you are planning for RoonOS 2.0?

2 Likes

I have a list, but I donā€™t want to promise anythingā€¦

How abo ut you tell me what youā€™d like to see?

Things not on the table:

• NFS
  • Roon UI on HDMI
  • WiFi support
  • support for non-NUC (itā€™ll continue to be a roll of the dice)
  • network interface bonding

Things on the table (but not yet committed to):

• UEFI support (done)
  • better exFAT support (done)
  • fixing cd ripper issue (done)
  • something shown on the HDMI (chromecast UI?)
  • extensions
  • some other sanctioned services
  • network bridging
  • HDMI CEC support
  • more machine/os stats on web ui

EDIT: Iā€™ve deleted a bunch of posts on this threadā€¦ This is about Roon OS, not Roon. If you donā€™t know the difference, please refrain from commenting.

16 Likes

Rock 2.0 should be as small and free of ballast as possible. My wish list: 1. Best sound, 2. Best sound ā€¦ 20. Best sound 21. The best possible support for USB 2.0. Compared to AudioLinux, InnuOS, VitOS ā€¦ Rock still has to sound the best! For a million additional options ā€¦ there are other solutions.

19 Likes

Itā€™s a small thing but how about a ā€œForce Rescanā€ toggle on the main dashboard? Those of us with libraries on NAS have to navigate into the Settings - Storage - Force rescan every time we add something to the library and it is a pain. Perhaps where the spinning widget shows library activity. Just eliminates several steps which quite honestly I do potentially a few times a day. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

@Wayne_Carter , what would you like to have Roon OS do about this? Again, note that Roon OS is not Roon.

I really love Roon OS. I cannot remind a single issue, super stable.
I would like to be able to configure folder, naming structure and metadata tagging for the ripped albums.

2 Likes

These are my two favorites from your list.

10 Likes

A BIOS update tool built into the installer GUI - that was the worst part of the install experience here. Not RoonLabsā€™ fault, but on your plate if you want it done properly.

Want a neat trick with HDMI ? Use it for Device integrity monitoring. And please implement integrity monitoring in general.

Not sure if thatā€™s ROCK, but cloud backup for the files, not just the database.

6 Likes

My vote:

• extensions for example pre-installed Extension Manager, incl. ablility to install Entrypoints / Bluetooth
  • ability to install HQPlayer embedded (or preinstalled)
  • ability to reboot OS or relaunch roon server from a Roon remote
6 Likes

Hmm, since it is not on the ā€œThings not on the tableā€ list, and they are all similar:

1. Some way of monitoring the system thermals and memory usage
  2. Some way of running memory or drive diagnostics. Currently users are asked to boot into a live linux or Windows environment to run such things. If you are in RoonOS you shouldnā€™t be asked to load a different OS to test the hardware.
15 Likes

Interesting question, as at present RoonOS as part of ROCK running on a NUC does everything I want of it, as a place to run Roon Core to serve my endpoints & zones.
As such I want RoonOS to run as light and fast as possible, with as little resource usage. Additional functionality normally means additional resource usage, so for me ā€œless is definitely moreā€.

Out of interest I would like a load monitor, with lightweight probes, something like istat with CPU utilisation, load, memory/cache usage and network throughput. I have istat running on my ReadyNAS units, have ported to a RPi and a legacy Linksys NSLU2. I view the statistics on a iOS app. This means the chart rendering is performed off-server, with just the probes running in a thread caching a limited level of data.

On the subject of ā€œsomething shown on the HDMI (chromecast UI?)ā€, just get a Chromecast dongle for the display! As to run on RoonOS you would have to envoke GPU processing in the OS, and drive a display - taking away from the headless server focus of RoonOS. Stick to what it is intended as, an embedded server-side headless applicance.
If more is needed, the user can install a general purpose OS and install the Core+Remote product, is my view.

BTW istat see GitHub - bjango/istatserverlinux: A system monitoring daemon that sends stats to Send stats to iStat View for iOS and iStat View for macOS.

6 Likes

what does this mean?

Is this even possible on NUCs? I didnā€™t think soā€¦

This is an interesting ideaā€¦ Iā€™ll split it this out here:

2 Likes

This already works to some degree. Just add a second interface (usually via usb). You wonā€™t get DHCP on the subnet, but you can put your audio endpoints and/or NAS there if youā€™d like, with a static IP.

1 Like

Itā€™s an extension allowing to send audio to Roon via Bluetooth. Entrypoints, the audio entrance to Roon [NEW: Bluetooth support]

Iā€™d really like this if it were possible - thereā€™s a few extensions Iā€™d like to try but I donā€™t really want to setup and maintain yet another device to make this work.

9 Likes

Keep it lean and lightweight.

• UEFI support - Yes
  • network bridging - Yes
  • better exFAT support - Yes
  • fixing cd ripper issue - Yes

Additional monitoring as suggested by some other commenters.

7 Likes

Definitely UEFI boot, so as to make ROCK useable on non legacy boot device es (such as Pentium NUCs).
Not sure if you would count the following as being part of ROCK 2.0 or part of Roon. I would be looking for a ROCK implementation that contains Roon Bridge in order to build a Roon Endpoint based on low power (Pentium or Celeron) NUC or NUC like devices. I can do this without major issues using say diet, but dietpi does not maintain itself automatically as does ROCK. I would definitely prefer a Roon supplied one shop solution for a NUC based endpoint.
Alternatively or additionally a ROCK based Roon Bridge endpoint for RP4.

I think you are suggesting we have a way to disable the Roon Core and replace it with Roon Bridge.

This would be more interesting on lighter weight machines, like Raspberry Pis and so, yah? But with Roipeee and DietPi, is there a need for this? Both are approved by us.

Iā€™m guessing this wonā€™t fit, since itā€™s not strictly Roon OS, but database validation/verification/integrity, including backups.

6 Likes

Hi - guess I am not clear on OS vs Roon. Assumed that a dashboard change would be part of the OSā€¦