Motu ROCK OS not working

Roon Rock/NUC/version 1.7 build(505)

I’ve got a MOTU 8A DAC which I’m trying to connect via USB to my NUC. Roon recognizes the DAC (ELSA driver), but no sound plays. When I connect my laptop running Roon on Windows (ASIO driver) to the MOTU everything works fine.
Is there something I need to tweak or is this a lost cause (I did find many references on google where people report incompatibilities between Linux and MOTU)?
If there is no fix, I guess one option is to erase my NUC, install Windows 10 on it, and Roon server (knowing Windows, I’m guessing the server won’t run as problem free as the ROCK OS).
The other option is to buy a second device running Roon Bridge (Windows version)—>USB —> MOTU.
Does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

I’ve had a problem free Windows Roon Server for nearly 5 years.

That works, too.

Hi @Omid_Mostachfi,

Looking at the device’s produce page, I notice that under operating systems I see:

For computer audio I/O: Mac OS X 10.8 or later; Windows 7 or later

There is not any mention of Linux support here and, as you mentioned above, there seem to be other reports of issues as well.

Using a Windows or Mac device as a remote with this device connected or as RoonBridge is probably going to be your best option here. You could also install Windows on your Core machine as suggested too — either should work for you to get this device up and running.

Is there any way of using the AVB interface from Roon?

(Which might beg the next question - how is RAAT related to AVB, AES67, Ravenna et al?)

(Edit - sorry - thread hijack. I realise none of that will directly help the OP… )

Thank you. It’s good to know a Windows machine will work well as the core.

Hi Daniel,
Motu does not seem to work under linux. I was hoping someone had found a way…
I’ll convert my NUC to Windows 10, run my core Roon on it (just scared about Windows ‘s update Tuesdays !).
Andy, the AVB route is a good idea too. I have a Mac but it sits far from the DAC. AVB only seems to work if there is a direct Ethernet cable connection between the Mac and Motu (using the house’s LAN doesn’t work). I’ll find a long cable and try the direct connection, just to see if Roon manages to use AVB. The other option is to buy a Mac mini put it next to the Dac and connect directly via USB, but I’m not keen on it since I already have a fanless NUC.
Thanks for all the comments to all 3 of you.

Hi @Omid_Mostachfi,

This sounds like a good idea. If you want, you can also disable Windows updates for your server considering the only function is to run Roon.

What I have seen most commonly is that Windows Updates revert the settings in the Windows Defender firewall for Roon, which you can add back by using these instructions:

I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall. You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

Thank you Norris. I will try to disable the Windows updates.
Andy, for curiosity I connected the Mac directly to my Motu through an ethernet cable. I was able to play music using AVB. I then ran roon and found the MOTU AVB listed as a device. I enabled it. I managed to play music through Roon!
Once I removed the direct ethernet cable and connected the computer as well as the DAC to my LAN, Roon no longer could connect to the MOTU through AVB.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.