Moving files from external to internal storage and keeping edits

Hi again. Well my ssd arrives tomorrow. The G drive was struggling so I bought the ssd.
Any tips on how I move my music and backups etc from old to new? Thanks!

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_collection_to_a_new_folder%2C_hard_drive_or_NAS%2C_Will_I_lose_my_edits%3F

2 Likes

THANK YOU!! Was looking for this haha

1 Like

Does a more involved document exist for this? I’m a bit confused as to how to do this. This article states to disconnect the music sources and quit Roon. But then how do I copy/move what is on the USB to the internal SSD? Sorry for dumb questions.

You can’t copy or move files inside of Roon. And since you cannot get to the file structure of the Nucleus, you need to use another computer to do the copying.

1. Make Sure you have made a database backup!
  2. Disable the existing USB storage in Roon.
  3. Shut down and install the internal drive
  4. Format the internal drive from the Web UI, make sure the Server is stopped.
  5. Plug the usb drive into another computer. go to the newly installed storage location on the nucleus using that computer’s file browser. Copy everything from the usb drive to the new internal storage
  6. Start RoonServer. Go back into Roon, and EDIT the old storage location to the new internal drive.

Rugby thank you so much! Couple questions if you don’t mind. I’m on a Mac btw.
#3 Do I use a browser to get to the Web UI or open the Roon app and go to settings/configure?
Also, do I copy everything at once, or do small amounts at a time? Perhaps doesn’t matter?
I’m pretty sure I understand the rest. Thanks again.

You use the Web UI. Roon the app should be closed and not used from step 2 til 5.

While you copy, RoonServer will be off because you don’t want it to pick up partial albums that can happen. So, copy it all in Step 4. Be aware that depending on how much you have and the speed of your network it can be a long copy.

Ok thanks it’s copying over now, I did all you said. I’ve been doing groups of folders instead of all at once hope that didn’t mess anything up. When this group is moved over I will just select all that is left and copy them over.
If you get a minute, could you go over Step 5 a little more in detail? I have the old (usb) storage disabled in Roon. What do you mean EDIT the old storage location to new internal drive? Do I not just choose the internal drive now?
Thanks so much for all the help, so far so good

I think I screwed up.
I only copied the music and not the other two folders from the USB: Roon Backups and Roon Imports.
All the music copied over to Internal Storage so I went to Roon and enabled Internal storage now it’s importing all the tracks.
Will all my edits and artwork etc be gone? I’m afraid to stop it the import now.
Anybody out there who can advise me? Thanks so much.

haha thanks man! well it seems ok but some of my edits and artwork are gone or switched around. Think I have to redo this or something but like you I’m not quite sure how to go about it.

Just wait for someone to respond. Also, make sure you keep your data that you are copying from. If this try doesn’t work like you want, I think you can probaby delete it from Roon and try again.

1 Like

Once all the music has been copied. Click on the 3 dot menu of the old storage location and choose edit. This lets you pick a new location.

you absolutely do not want to copy this. Backups cannot go into a watched storage location.You still need to keep the old usb drive attached to do the backups.

Unlike the USB Drive, an internal drive is only for music, you can’t use it for Roon backups.

1 Like

Hi. Yes I plugged in the usb drive back in, after deleting the old music folder off it since I have it on another hd and now the internal.
But bummed out, as I did a restore from the last back up and now the albums are in worse shape then they were, I should have just left it. So now not sure if I should try again from two backups ago?
Other than that the internal SSD is much quicker! I just bought a USB 3 Flash drive stick gonna put that in the nucleus for backups now. Just need to get my artwork and edits back how they were. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks all

Hi @James_Cortez,

I split off some of the posts into a support thread so we can help you directly here. Starting out, let’s restore a backup from before the original migration occurred — Can you then share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan
I tried restoring another backup and both were from before the original migration. When it says ''relaunch" I do so and it looks like everything is ok but then as Roon starts loading all the albums it ends up with just Qobuzz albums showing so I have to go into settings and reenable the internal storage drive. Not sure why as I never disabled it? Once I do that my library comes back in but with most saying ''new" and a bunch with my edits like artwork and song sequencing wrong. Some split up into multiple discs. Etc. I don’t know maybe because a lot of them are bootlegs that I have sequenced and made art for? Guess I might as well just leave it and go in and hand edit the ones that need it. Afraid if I do another restore it will just get worse. Seems the point of backing up and restoring should be the opposite of this? That said I’m sure it’s something I did wrong but seems pretty easy. I just go settings/backup/choose folder and the backup I want. Right? Thanks again.

I have tried to do the same thing with transferring my database to a ROCK server. I have copied all of my files to the ROCK internal storage, all according to the knowledge base. however. My music is stored in three main subdirectories that I had set up as three separate watch folders in Roon. Now in ROCK, I can only set the root “internal storage” as the new path, no subdirectories. First I thought no problem since Roon advocates that ist doesn’t care where your files are stored but doing it this way screwed up all my 1200+ edits, my 250+ album art and 200+ artists fotos. The playcount, import date and play history etc is still intact though and

I could solve this by pointing to the subdirectories as a network path. Now I have my three watched folders back but Roon sees them as a samba share, strange. It’s a mystery to me why I can’t specify any subdirectories in the path edit. It’s also a mystery to me why I can point to subdirectories in an internal samba share but not a network samba share. Subdirectories simply get ignored when trying so. Since all your personal edits seem to be highly directory structure related there should be a way to point out to these directories directly. It’s not that strange to have three watched folders on one drive, is it?

So maybe this is a solution to your problem as well, just point to the music as a network share within ROCK/Nucleus. It is a strange solution but at least it worked for me.

1 Like

thanks so much for your reply but I’m not really as knowledgeable as you are. I have no idea what a ''samba share" is? I don’t have any subdirectories either. Shouldn’t simply restoring a database from backups create the same library we had? Also, are you saying to reload my original library again? I’m sorry I’m just not sure what you are suggesting to do. My fault, not yours lol.

Yes, restoring a database should create exactly the same library you had but it seems the library is highly dependend on the correct directory path. Since you are moving your files from external to internal storage the path cahnges so you have to change this path in the watched folders. Wnat you don’t want to do is to select the first option called “internal storage” with that option everything is scanned like new again if the directory structure doesn’t exactly match the original and all of your personal edits are lost.
underneath the “internal storage” option you will find a watched folder with the old path to your external storage. That’s the one you have to edit.

Click on “edit” then by edit storage location click on “browse”. In the screen that follows You can only choose “internal storage” or “+add network share”. Click on that one and add \ROCK\data . Now you can browse to your music directoy and slect this one as your new music folder.

I had to do it this way because I had three watched folders but it did restore all of my edits so it might work in your case to with just one watched folder. It’s easy to try.

2 Likes

Do you think that doing restores on top of previous restores is simply perpetuating whatever problems you’re having? Is it possible to completely erase or reformat your Nucleus data and music drives and start fresh? IDK.

1 Like