Moving music storage location

If you do this, it will trigger Roon to perform audio analysis from scratch on your entire library. If you only have a few thousand tracks, that’s not a big deal. But if you have tens or hundreds of thousands of tracks, that could take a long time.

Once all of your files have been copied to the external drive, I’d suggest attaching it to the Nucleus and then editing the existing storage folders to use the new location rather than deleting and re-adding. If the directory structure is not the same, Roon may end up re-analyzing files anyway, but it’s worth trying.

On the format, if you need compatibility between macOS and Roon OS, exFAT is your only sane option. NTFS is not recommended.

That said, I am curious to know why you want to connect the drive to your Mac. You’ll be able to access it over the network after connecting it to the Nucleus. I would just leave it attached unless you plan to take the drive in trips or something.

David
Really appreciate your response
Thank you
I didnt realise i could add/delete files once drive connected to Nucleus
Thanks for letting me know that.
I formatted to Exfat and am currently adding files.
I will connect to nucleus as you have recommended as i have over 150,000 tracks and assume starting from scratch would take a long time
Thanks alot

1 Like

Cool. This post I wrote back is a little nerdy, but I’ve found the Open Source rsync command to be very helpful for doing data migrations. A straight copy will be a little faster, but when copying over 100,000 files, it’s not uncommon for the copy process to be interrupted, forcing you to start over to be sure you got everything.

Rsync is smarter than a straight copy in that it analyzes the source and destination locations and only copies/updates files that are out of sync. It’s a lot more powerful than that. You can read more about it here.

Here’s my post: Backing up to hard disk - #6 by David_Snyder

The use case in my post is a bit different, but once you get your files there, you’ll probably be looking for a way to back things up. This is, essentially, the process that I use. Let me know if you have questions.

2 Likes