Moving Qobuz Albums Ids

I mainly use Roon through Qobuz, and it seems to me the best way to take advantage of it is to add lots of things from Qobuz to my library and listen to them in the future. So I use the album browse feature a lot filtering on things I have never listened to + additional metadata to select what I want to listen to next. Albums in Qobuz however seem to move every few months to have new Ids. So something I have added before is no longer available (all songs marked Unavailable red in Roon), and is now replaced with an album of exactly the same attributes. To keep having that in my library, I need to delete the old one and add the new one whenever I discover something is changed like this, which is usually accidental. This has several issues though: until I manually add the new album and delete the old one, its tracks won’t be played in mixes and radios (when restricted to library content which I often do). The new replaced album also resets listening counts and likes, which is not ideal. Can Roon come to some kind of arrangement with Qobuz so Roon libraries can be automatically updated while preserving users’ metadata?

1 Like

See this and the many other threads linked from there

Not sure how that is related to my question.

I don’t see the link with custom credits either, or only vaguely. Your question is exactly what I have given to Roon as feedback when they did their survey: the request to have discontinued Qobuz albums in our library automatically replaced by or mapped to the replacement version, so that we don’t have to find out by accident and manually replace each and every one of them. +1!

If you read the link and the other stuff linked from there, maybe it would become clear

I don’t see the link either.

The OP’s question is about tighter streaming provider (Qobuz) integration. I myself am painfully working my way through 167 Qobuz BIS albums which are no longer available in roon after a general change to the Qobuz BIS catalogue.

Having said that there are many much more relevant posts and change requests for background re-mapping of streamed content (both Qobuz and Tidal) after changes to the licensed content.

I find it quite disruptive as usually the first time I notice is when playing stops due to “too many failures” when streamed content is no longer available. It happens much more frequently than I would like and although an entire label like BIS becoming unavailable all at once may be extreme, I can’t help thinking that the same thing will happen one day with a much larger label like Deutsche Grammophon or Philips. That would be near impossible to fix manually in any reasonable time for libraries with a high proportion of streamed content.

I read the excerpt and the next few posts and I don’t understand how it is related to the issue I am raising. I don’t even know what custom credit is. If you can’t be more helpful, please abstain from responding dismissively to users’ issues, and let someone in official capacity chime in.

I created a feature suggestion:

1 Like

I think you can only really control your own personal files with some degree of accuracy in Roon, even then I saw files I knew were on my Nas disappear from the Roon library, yet they were playable by other software.

This is probably not the reply you want but you’re not in control of Qobuz, nor Roon and I don’t think you can ever trust your library to be accurate and reflect 100% what you have added, saved etc even if they implement some kind of remapping between old and new versions of releases. I have used transfer services to map Tidal to Qobuz and vice versa to transfer content and ended up with completely wrong artists, tribute artists even, I would not trust it at all.

It seems to be a moving target with streaming services.

I would like Roon to add composers, artists etc as favourites even if you have nothing by them in your library, so you can browse and see what is available to play at that time and queue up releases to play. Streaming services allow it.

I no longer use Roon as it needs too much tinkering and I prefer to just listen to music.

1 Like

This is probably not the reply you want but you’re not in control of Qobuz, nor Roon and I don’t think you can ever trust your library to be accurate and reflect 100% what you have added, saved etc even if they implement some kind of remapping between old and new versions of releases.

I am not asking for 100% accuracy at all. If remapping were implemented and it would occasionally result in incorrect entries, that would be a lot less work than what I have to do now.

Of course I am not in control of Qobuz, but Roon and Qobuz are partners, Roon has counterparts at Qobuz to discuss new developments to improve the user experience for their customers.

In fact, another, perhaps much easier solution would be for Qobuz to simply re-use the album ID for the new version. I have no idea how easy or how difficult this would be from a database point of view because I have no idea how it’s all set up. That’s up to Roon and Qobuz to discuss. It’s up to me to provide customer feedback if I would like to have my situation improved.

I bet they use the id for tracking listening statistics, artist and label royalty payments, it’s effectively a part number and it is superseding to a different one.
Anyway, you’re right, it’s for them to sort, I was just offering an opinion
If you want to offer them feedback have you posted in the feedback section?

Yes, your initial reaction was to my message that I had created a feature suggestion. :slight_smile: