Moving the Roon database on a QNAP NAS from one external USB SSD to another USB SSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon version 1.6, latest Core on the Qnap is latest version too

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Various Naim Devices

Description Of Issue

I have been running the Roon system for over a year now, and after a few early niggles the system has worked really well.
When I originally changed the roon database from residing on the Qnap Hard drive I reinstalled it onto a external USB SSD drive. I however did not realise that this drive could not be used for anything other than the Roon database and I had bought a 2Tb drive!!. My database is about 2gb so this was a massive overkill.
I have now purchased an equally fast SSD but much smaller (256Gb) and I want to move the database from one SSD to the other.
I know the drive needs to called “RoonServer” which the original one is and Ive seen on the FAQ that you can’t have two databases on the same NAS.

Can I simply copy the contents of the old SSD onto the new one then rename the new SSD “RoonServer” and then simply plug it in to the NAS instead of the original SSD drive?

Or is it more complex than that, if so could you point me in the right direction so that I can use the original SSD more productively.

Thanks
Radji

Hi @Radji_Gadji,

The best option here is likely to make a backup of your Roon database, install Roon fresh on the new drive, and then restore that backup. You can read about backing up and restoring here in our KB.

1 Like

Does the new drive need to be reformatted and called RoonServer. Also can I install the core software on this drive whilst attached to my mac and then simply plug it into my NAS and then restore to that there?

That should have said NAS not gas

I edited it for you.

Hi @Radji_Gadji,

I would first create a Backup of your old database using Roon and save it somewhere safe, preferably off the QNAP. Then I would go ahead and set up the new SSD on the QNAP and have it start with a fresh database, the name of the drive itself should not matter too much.

After setting up the new SSD with the fresh database, then you can use Roon’s backup manager and point it to the backup you created at the start of this process and restore the old database.

Once you have restored the old database and have confirmed that it resides on the new SSD, you can use the bigger SSD to store your media files or other content, do make sure that all the old database files are off of it though.

Hi All,
I’m back up and running so thanks for all of the advice.
I thought it might be useful to document what I actually did so other users may benefit if doing the same job.

1. I went into Roon software on my iMac and created two backups of the database. One on the Qnap NAS (to be able to quickly find it when restoring) and one on another connected USB drive (for safety).
  2. I shut down the NAS and unplugged the original SSD from the USB slot.
  3. The original SSD drive was called RoonServer and so I then formatted the new SSD drive on my Mac and again called it RoonServer. As I only work on a mac I formatted the drive as HFS+ because the original drive was formatted that way. Although I do believe exFat formatting would have been OK
  4. I then connected the new SSD to the Qnap NAS and booted it up.
  5. I went into the Roon app on the Qnap NAS and checked that the core was seeing the new drive OK and it was.
  6. I opened the Roon app on the Mac and it couldn’t see the new core and was then offered to create a new database. Despite being apprehensive I created a new database. I just then followed the instructions that were displayed and was finally shown a dialog box to log in but at the bottom of this dialog is a link to restore a previous back up.
    Clicking the link allows the location of the backup database to be found and by selecting this MY existing database was restored.
  7. I then was presented with a dialog asking to link to the core on my NAS and on clicking the link, hey presto, everything was back to normal on the new SSD.

I can now enjoy all that lovely HiDef music once again, and have a relatively new 2TB drive to fill up now!

Thanks for your assistance
Radji

1 Like

Hi @Radji_Gadji,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear that things are working properly on the new SSD.
Hope you have a great day!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.