MQA Core Decoder NOT working for MQA Tracks in multiples of 44.1 kHz

The Signal Path for 44.1 kHz multiples behave as it were an MQA Full Decoder.

It is performing the authentication of the MQA Stream perfectly.

Then it is sending the stream via RAAT to the Realtek device and it sounds fine.

If I use the DSP I will loose the LOSSLESS signal path which I won’t.

Clearly there’s something here about ROON’s MQA Core Decoder happening.

This is not a Roon fault. It is a Realtek limitation.

Then Please tell me what I am listening to?

It appears like MQA Full Decoding which just can’t be.

So what am I getting when reproducing 2L MQA Recordings at 24 bits / 352.8 kHz.?

44.1/24

Roon is showing the source and original sample rate, then it is showing it is authenticated as a studio 352.8 mqa. At this point it would normally show the mqa core decoder as 88.2khz 24bit, but since your soundcard doesn’t do 88.2 it is sending the unaltered 44.1/24 bit file.

• If you don’t have a dac that does mqa you can only get the first unfold with roon.
  • You can’t get more than a 88.2khz or 96khz rate without a dac that does mqa.
  • And you can’t get the full mqa, even if it was a 48khz mqa, without a dac that does mqa. The 48khz file will unfold to 96 but you still won’t get the whole enchilada.

Complain to Bob Stuart, it’s his technology.

I am perfectly aware how MQA works.

The ROON signal path is acting like MQA Full Decoder.

That’s why I am complaining as ROON user.

This is NOT Bob Stuart mistake.

ROON is behaving inconsistently.

With no mqa support, and decoder disabled.

With no mqa support, core decoder enabled.

Full mqa support.

I am afraid I’m not followig you on this.

I do also have an SMSL M400 Full MQA Decoder that behaves very similar excepting for the Bridge thing.

I’m attaching its Signal Path here, but that’s not the point.

What I am talking about here is specifically with my PC using the Realtek Audio Card.

ROON should not behave on it as if it were an MQA Full Decoder.

That’s a fact.

And I don’t see the point in blaming Bob Stuart for something that it´s ROON’s fault.

According MQA design ROON should show the actual info of any MQA playback scenario.

It should not be showing the information of the NON MQA Realtek DAC as a Full MQA Decoder.

So please tell me what’s the reason and how are you going to solve it?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.