MQA first unfold in Roon? MQA? [Delivered in 1.5]

I love the speculation (as long as it is noted that it is purely speculation)!

No spat – we are all professionals, and friendships built are hard to tear down. It was a dramatic split, but it has no negative impact on MQA + Roon. We are all friendly, I partook in many liters of frosty Bavarian mugs with members of the MQA team in Munich. This just happens to be business as usual.

We are always trying to push things forward, and that takes time.

@miguelito, The rest of your posts paint a picture a bit more confrontational and dramatic than reality, but still surprisingly accurate. I also strongly agree with your viewpoints on the industry + MQA, what it takes to be successful, and how to make it happen. However we must remember that there are many strategies to success.

yes.

nothing is prohibiting anything altogether.

[quote=“andybob, post:19, topic:26336”]
The Meridian/Roon separation may have had its ups and downs but fundamental respect and friendship endures, [/quote]

You nailed this. Enno and I met with Bob Stuart and others from MQA at High End in Munich 2 weeks ago, and it was great to see them all, and I think I can say that they felt the same. It was both fun and productive.

They really are. Knowing Bob Stuart, all I can state is that that man is a mastermind of patience. I’ve seen him wrangle established industries with such skill that would drive me and everyone I know mad. Their new(ish) CEO, Mike Jbara, is also especially competent.

Yes, and more. We aren’t interested in doing a me-too. We have ideas of what we want to offer, and it isn’t what anyone else is thinking. This takes time.

I wouldn’t go this far, nor would I call them FoD. This is not the movies. These types of organizations rarely exist (although I can definitely name at least one huge beast in the music industry).

I’m not sure about “within”, but the rest of this should be obvious to all that have watching the MQA saga unfold.

This point I disagree with completely.

1. There is no FoD.
  2. The rupturing of relations with Auralic can only be explained through compounded misunderstandings or calculated malice – but it’s usually safe to assume that calculated malice is never the actual reason.
  3. Roon couldn’t lick any wounds since we never made any investment of effort. We’ve made this mistake before with Spotify, we won’t make it again.

Hah! All sides involved here have creative business minds and unfortunately, they slow things down much worse than lawyers. Luckily, the results usually turn out good for all, instead of just making lawyers rich.

THIS. This, more than anything anyone has ever said on the subject of MQA.

@AndersVinberg – another topic for you to explore on the idea of what’s important to audio and music lovers? I’d love to read it … and oh my, the debate it would create!

No no no – there is no evil, there is no darkness. Things just take time.

I agree, this is critical. If this is not allowed, then MQA becomes the Dolby of music audio, and innovation is stuck in the hands of a commercial entity that has no incentive to innovate. Mike Moffat & Jason Stoddard of Schiit state idea this well at about 9:49 into this video interview by John Darko.

As speculators outside the inner workings of these matters, it always impresses me how smart and insightful you guys can be sometimes. I shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s just human nature…

I really wish I could tell you all the full story, as it is much more exciting and full of “future making” material. Maybe someday over drinks at some bar post-audio-show or at someone’s ridiculous listening room … far after all this is ancient history :slight_smile:

22 Likes