MQA now on Tidal!

I agree with @philr.

Even without MQA decoding in Roon, the unfolded file (in my case usually 24/48) sounds very good, an improvement over the 16/44 version.

Ok I can confirm it works with my trial of Tidal ! It was just a case of trying to find an MQA album. Version 1.3 of Roon will be making MQA versions of albums more clear, so canā€™t wait !

Iā€™m seeing two versions of MQA albums, the MQA and the standard Hi-Fi.

Cool! Now Roon has more reasons to decode MQA!

Itā€™s been announced that Roon will decode MQA in 1.3

No it hasnā€™t and ā€œ1.3ā€ could mean the initial 1.3 release or a subsequent update. MQA decoding in Roon is going to happen, but timescales have not been published. Obviously though, we all want this to happen as soon as possible.

12 Likes

Good to hear that, I think this also give more time for Roon to do quality testing since Tidal already started streaming MQA. Besides, Roon 1.3 is a big upgrade; to me the PCM to DSD on the fly conversion is the most requested feature!

On Like a Virgin, I too get 96k coming out of the coax digital output of my Bluesound Node2.

According to the folks at MQA, the degree to which an MQA encoded file ā€œunfoldsā€ will depend on the capabilities of oneā€™s DAC. Also, when a DAC is unknown, the MQA file will unfold utilizing a ā€œGenericā€ profile.

It sure seems like in your case (using the desktop app) and my case (using an MQA enabled streamerā€™s digital out into a non-MQA DAC) that the ā€œGenericā€ profile unfolds to 96k.

I think youā€™re exactly right!

Apologies for the stupid question, but how do you find the Masters through Roon? I can find them through the Tidal app without any issue, but Roon doesnā€™t list them separately.

A lick Whatā€™s New then scroll page down to Albums. Look across and it says new, Recomended, Top 20 , Masters. Click there

and then favourite them - they will then appear in Roon as recently added - I have created a Tag called MQA and then tagged the new albums. (there may be a better way of isolating them). You can use the multi select by holding down the mouse button on an album for a couple of seconds.

Cheers
Tom

1 Like

Hi the only MQA album I get in Tidal via Roon is ā€œMozart Violin Concertos (MQA remix 2016)ā€
with all other albums mentioned above I do not get the blue light on my explorer2.

Any advice?

I only get that screen (the one you show) through the Tidal app, not Roon. I donā€™t even get it on Tidal through Chrome, only the app

Aaah - I favorite them through the Tidal app then they will appear in Roon? Being a bit slow tonight ā€¦

1 Like

It is correct that all these new MQA albums will only show up in ROON when they do their next regular syncing with TIDAL? Because at the moment I can find the albums in the TIDAL desktop app, but many of the albums cannot yet be found through ROON. I presume that albums which are 44/24 or 48/24 FLAC are the MQA folder undecoded

As it looks at the moment in my ROON setup I cannot find most of the new MQA versionsā€¦which is a bit frustrating really

They are there you just have no way of knowing what they are through Roon at the moment. Itā€™s not that easy through Tidal either as it seems there are a lot more than just the ones that appear under the masters tab.

In fact before the announcement yesterday I added an album to my library from Tidal and played it and it was MQA but I did not realize it. I thought it sounded great, now I know why!

I think the ability to identify MQA files in Tidal will come with 1.3, though I am reading between the lines on some things that have been said here on the forum to come up with that.

Until then it seems the only way to know is either look at the MQA lights on your MQA DAC or look at the Roon signal path when playing a tidal track and see if it is 24 bit rather than 16.

This is for Tidal files. Roon currently recognizes MQA downloads.

If they matched an album you already had they may be a hidden alternate version. Filter your albums on hidden.

Or you can tell Roon to show all albums.

If you Favourite them in the Tidal app then force a Tidal sync in Roon they show up straight away (Roon - Settings - Services - Tidal - Sync Now)

Which is fine when there are only a few of them but the number has risen significantly in the last 24 hours so we need a better solution to identifying Master albums in Roon.

Iā€™m sure it will come, hopefully soon. We should be patient really - just think what weā€™ve just been given free of charge; hundreds of high res albums that would cost a fortune to download. And all available in Roon from day 1. We really do live in music-lovers times

5 Likes