MQA - Raspberry Pi 3+ Allo DigiOne HAT Ropiee - Metrum Acoustics Amethyst DAC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.14 Roon 1.7 Build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi and ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry Pi3+ with added Allo DigiOne HAT running Ropieee version 262-1. From here S/PDIF Metrum Acoustics Amethyst DAC with newly added MQA Module

Description Of Issue

How should my device settings be in order to achieve full decoding and rendering ?

Please see attached.

Thx

You are almost good to go. Change MQA Capabilities to Decoder and Renderer or just Renderer. With this first setting the Amethyst handles everything and with the second, Roon performs the first unfold. This is useful if you use any of Roon’s DSP settings. In both cases Roon passes MQA signalling to your DAC.

Note that you won’t see the DAC in Roon because you are using S/PDIF.

Thank you Martin. I did forget I would need to have a USB cable connected in order for the DAC to pass along info up the chain.

I may be misunderstanding something but what you’re suggesting in regards to the MQA capabilities is that not what I already had configured ?

Thx

Simon

1 Like

Your current settings are fine. Roon performs the first unfold (decode) and passes the MQA signalling to your DAC via the DigiOne. From then on, the DAC will do the final unfold or rendering. I use the Allo DigiOne; it’s a good transport and much better than simply using USB from a Raspberry Pi.

Here’s a good post that explains each of the MQA settings.

1 Like

Great…Thank you both Martin and Jim. Will get some listening in and do some comparison to Qubuz and Tidal. Stay safe and healthy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.