MQA Settings for Roon & BluSound Node 2

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS, Catalina 10.15.4, iMac Retina 5K, 4.2 GHz Quad i7, 40 GB RAM, Roon 537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ATT Internet provider, ATT Modem to Orbi. Orbi wifi to iMac (internet speed test on Mac 123.14 Mbps download, 3ms Ping), Orbi ethernet to BluSound Node 2.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iMac (Core) -> BluSound Node 2 -> Optical Cable -> Classe SP-225 pre-amp balanced -> Classe CA-401 -> BW 802

Description Of Issue

I recently lost the ability to get MQA sources from Tidal to play on my main audio setup (described above). I do not know if this occured with a Roon update or with a BlueSound update. (I have the latest player and controller BluSound builds) or both or neither. Of if something else occurred. Non-MQA sources play fine. iMac using internal speaks plays MQA fine. non-MQA FLAC plays fine on my main system. Again, I had MQA playing before so I know it can be done.

I have played with device setup and made changes to some of these setting but have a not found correct combination.

I thought it was time to ask you guys if you can provide any suggestions or exact setting for me to use since you may have experience or knowledge. My pre-amp is old and cannot decode MQA so it needs to arrive there ready to play.

Thank you!
Stewart

It would help if you posted screenshots of your device settings and audio path.

Hi Stewart,

I removed the email address from your post. Roon have got your email if they need it and open email addresses can be harvested by spambots that trawl forum sites.

Hi @Stewart_Marcano,

The Node 2 is an MQA Renderer + Decoder, so I would open Device Setup for this zone Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel next to Node 2 -> Device Setup and set the MQA Capabilities to Decoder + Renderer. If the issue is still ongoing after making those changes, please share a few screenshots of your Device Setup and Signal Path.

Thank you for your help and removing my e-mail.

After making the changes its still not working.

Here is a screen shot of MQA signal path that does not play.

Here is a screen shot of NON-MQA that plays fine.

Device Settings

BluSound - Node 2 - Device Settings

Hi @Stewart_Marcano,

Thanks for those screenshots and sorry to hear my suggestion hasn’t helped. What are the exact symptoms you’re seeing when you say it “does not play”? Does the progress bar move at all or does that not work either?

I also believe looking at logs might help here, can I please ask that you reproduce this issue, note the exact local time + date + track you experience the issue on and send me a copy of your:

1. Roon logs by using these instructions
  2. Node2 logs by using these instructions:

You can get these logs by navigating to Bluesound’s IP Address in a web browser -> Diagnostics -> More -> Copy + paste the text into a text editor

Please send both Roon logs and Bluesound logs via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / WeTransfer link. If you don’t have either service, just let me know and I can also create an upload folder for you on our servers.

Thanks!

Hi Noris,

I very much appreciate your help. Sorry 1st chance I’ve had to send you the log files.

Local Time (PST) start = 3:15:45, end 3:23:00 (aprox).
Date = 5/23/20
Track = Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
Album = David Bowie (aka Space Oddity) [2015 Remaster]

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MbES83xQK1fpKV73ESug2OuF7zrkacnH?usp=sharing

Thank you so much!

Stewart

Hi @Stewart_Marcano,

Thanks for sending the logs over, I have requested our technical team to review them, please leave them uploaded to your Google Drive for the time being.

Can you please clarify my previous question while we await feedback from the technical team?

Thanks!

Hi Noris,

Sorry I left that out.

Below is what I’m experiencing for all MQA albums / tracks that I’ve tried to play which is numerous (please note that all these same albums and tracks play fine if I select a none MQA version).

On an MQA track, when I click play there is no sound. The progress bar advances so it appears that Roon thinks it’s playing. There is no error messages. So everything appears normal except there is no sound.

Side note: with none MQA sources there is usually a wave graphic on progress bar. But when trying to play MQA there is just a line (no wave graphic).

I will leave logs up. Thank you for having technical staff look at this.

Thanks!!

Stewart

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

Looking at your logs, it appears that you may be running an outdated build of the BluOS firmware on your Node 2. Head to the Help > Upgrade screen in the BluOS Controller app and update your Node 2 to the “3.8.13” firmware and let us know if the behavior with MQA playback is improved.

-John

Hi John and Noris,

I have some good news (MQA is now playing!!) but it wasn’t the firmware update.

My comments below are just to be helpful so you and others have full picture of what the fix was but I think its still cloudy as to what occurred. I also have a question too.

I updated the firmware as you suggested but it did not fix it - MQA still didn’t play (by the way I thought I checked player OS, App OS and firmware all before original post - However, I could have missed firmware - not sure when new firmware was released but if it was prior to my original post I’m sorry should have done that as 1st step).

So once firmware update did not work - then I tried a bunch of things - Rebooted everything again after any change, turned on and off Bluesound MQA decoding & render in Roon, restated Roon, tried different tracks - both version of MQA and CD quality.

I then went into DSP and tried sample rate conversation - still didn’t play. So I then select “revert” on my DSP preset to return it to previous state and bingo - MQA started to play! I didn’t have anything setup in the DSP preset that I can remember - The DSP was in the same state it had been when MQA worked prior so its a bit mysterious as to what in the DSP was causing the MQA not to play but was allowing CD FLAC to play.

I’m just curious is there anything you know about in DSP that could affect MQA playback?

I’m so glad its working - thank you for your help. Any follow-up info on DSP possibilities will be appreciated.

Stewart

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

Glad to hear you’re back up and running!

As long as Roon’s Signal Path was not reflecting any active DSP processes, I’m not sure how the DSP preset could have been responsible for breaking playback. We will keep our eyes out for any similar reports, please let us know if you run into this issue again.

-John

Hi John,

I think I spoke too soon. Its actually not working. I was playing with it more after I wrote you to try and figure it out.

So I think the reason it played is because I turned on DSP. When there is no DSP MQA doesn’t play.

I did a screen copy attached of the single path with DSP that is allowing MQA to play.

So its now playing because Roon is altering MQA to 64bit float to 24bit?

Sorry - I thought we had it fixed!!!

Stewart

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

When playback is in the broken state, can you hear audio from the RCA/Analog or Headphone output on the Node 2?

-John

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a little crazy here in my world. I finally was able to find and connect an old school headphone to the Node 2 and it does play MQA. So it appears the issues is in the path from Node 2 to my pre-amp. But this is strange because it played MQA before and plays non-MQA 44.1/16 fine now through same path. I went into the BlueSound app and cannot see anything obvious but I’m sure you have a better idea of what could be the issue there. Let me know what I should try next and or if you also want me to try RCA too. Thanks! Stewart.

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

I would try enabling the MQA External DAC option in the BluOS audio settings. Note that the volume must be set to fixed to enable this option.

If this doesn’t fix the issue, I’d recommend reaching out to the Bluesound support team for further assistance, they’d be better positioned to understand what is going on here.

-John

Hi John,

That sort of fixed the problem however it wasn’t switching to MQA External DAC, it was switching to Fixed Volume in BluOS. Turning on and off MQA External DAC doesn’t affect play. But turning on and off Fixed Volume does.

It’s not realistic to going into BluOS and turn this on and off depending on the track especially on playlists etc. So that means I’ll have to leave it fixed which a big loss of a key feature. This was also a feature that was working prior on MQA.

Unless you have any other suggestions, it sounds like my next step is to reach out to BlueSound? Do you work with them too? Is there anyway for you to pass this on to them as well?

Thanks again!!

Stewart

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

We are unable to reproduce the symptoms you are seeing with MQA playback and the toggling of the Fixed Volume setting. This would suggest that this behavior is related to your specific DAC. I’m unsure what BluOS changed in the new firmware that would cause this to occur, you should reach out to them for further assistance with this issue.

-John

Hi John,

Thank you for all your time helping me out and anyone else there who spent time on this. I’ll contact BlueSound about my Node 2. So strange that headphone jack works MQA but not optical output unless fixed audio!

Last question and this is optional! As you can see (setup listed on 1st post) I have an a quality setup but my pre-amp with DAC is way out of date and is not compatible with Roon or MQA - speakers and amp are fine . I got the Node 2 so I could still use my old pre-amp with Roon (digitize my CDs, use Tidal) step into the modern world and not spend a ton on DAC or new Pre-Amp until I was ready to get something nice to replace Pre-Amp. / DAC. I’m still not ready to get a new pre-amp / DAC. If I end up having to replace Node-2 would you have any recommendations for low to medium cost replacement that you have found to have excellent audio that you guys like with Roon.

Again, thank you so much. Really appreciate the great support.

Stewart

Hello @Stewart_Marcano,

We typically don’t give specific gear recommendations, but you can see all of the Roon Ready devices on the market by checking the Roon Partner Device Matrix:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Partner_Devices_Matrix

-John