MQA settings on Roon - iFi Zen Dac V2

Well, as it seems my history with iFi devices started and ends with Zen DAC v2. And it’s not that I care that much about MQA but since Roon selects that format by default and the DAC “supports” it, well I expect to enjoy and relax listening to my music and not getting mad and frustrated.

I guess I could try to request an older version of firmware and see what will happen.

I’ve also had the V2 for a few weeks and it spills wonderfully with rock. Do you want me to check something for you? I like to do.

That’s exactly how my setup is, the V2 is a decoder and renderer and not a DSP.

I did search again for the stuttering playback and found that topic

There’s something funny happening with the DAC, the iFi iPower X, the USB ports, the current and the high frequency noises. When i disconnect the iPower X and switch to another USB port, the stutter seems to be eliminated. But, when there’s playback happening and I lock the macOS, the stutter comes back. When I unlock it, the stutter goes away. Now, if I reconnect the iPower X there’s no stuttering playback until something changes the power to the macbook or the docking station.

I really can’t keep up with that kind of issues. I’ve never had a similar issue with any hardware. So, I’m about to give it up with the iFi gear.

I had a email exchange with iFi and Jonny Darko … they know about it (but still have no solution) your only choice is to disable the MQA render and it will then be converted by your core.

1 Like

I had this issue even on the old firmware. I switched to Qobuz and don’t care about MQA anymore.

1 Like

Has anyone already tested the firmware 7.3 - MQA / DSD256 and firmware 7.3b - DSD512 from November 23rd?

Hi all

I’ve been watching this thread for a while as I have a ifi Zen DAC v2 which is plugged in via a mac mini which run’s ROON (Server & Player). I too am experiencing some strange behaviour when playing MQA from Tidal via ROON.

As CvK has described its erratic and strange behaviour, which is difficult to pin down. I’m new to all this HI-FI setup stuff, i’m more of a Home cinema enthusiast however since working from home I have taken a plunge in this setup to listen to headphones whilst working.

So far i keep having to switch off the MQA Support to get the music to play without stuttering (converts to PCM as the light is white). I did switch everything back to full Decoder and Renderer which then started to work and i thought great sorted, so I switched back to my work screen played music for about an hour with no issues, then changed the album via my phone app and hey presto issue back again instantly, I wondered if id gone back to the computer would it have happened? No idea and too late to try.

Its as if a buffer gets full somewhere and starts the issue off, however I’m clutching at straws.

I haven’t upgraded the firmware on the zen dac v2 its as i took it out of the box about 2 months ago, i did wonder if i needed the power supply to help boost it? but again i’m clutching at straws.

In all honesty i just wanted to write something to give support to you all who are having this problem, your are not alone. I’ll keep an eye on the thread and update if i manage to solve anything.

Good luck and thanks for all your previous good work on trouble shooting it has helped me tackle things from my end.

2 Likes

Having similar issues as the ones you describe and have followed this thread too. Oddly Roon mentions the Zen Dac V2 as “Roon Tested” in the blog-post with an overview of partners winning awards. As far as I can see, that’s not the case yet, but perhaps a heads-up that this is forthcoming shortly? Roon partners win big at the What Hi-Fi? Awards 2021 - Roon Labs

1 Like

Strange. I listen to MQA for hours without any interruptions.

I had just issues with the purple light going shortly white, but nothing to hear. From tidal as Qobuz it is not in Romania (but I will have a look:). I could see the same dropouts on the signal path. I was using iPower x for Zen DAC v2, Roon on iMac (Catalina) via iSilancer and a 3m usb cable to the dac, RCA out to Yamaha RN303 with Triton 5.
Now I moved my core to a new m1 Mac mini, I still play Tidal from Roon via usb/iSilancer/a 25cm usb cable/Zen DAC v2 (using iPower x), 4.4m to XLR into an NAD C 298/Triton 5. The light going shortly white now it is a clear gap in the sound, sometimes at 1 minute or less. After an hour of settings review I’ve just quitted. Roon does everything, Zen DAC is white… Anyway I do not notice the difference between using the Zen DAC full, just render or no MQA, but I am a newbie. Just holding on till I’ll have NAD C 658 as is the next major system update
All the best, Happy New Year and Happy listening
Traian

All the popping and droppings are gone when iSilencer is gone :slight_smile:
Happy 2022

I have had the same problem with the iFI HIP DAC, both V1 and V2. My year with Roon is up in March 2022 and I think I am going to give it up. Using the Tidal or Qobuz app directly works flawlessly all the time. For me, Roon doesn’t add that much value as I don’t have anything stored in the DB and just stream Tidal and Qobuz. Using Roon requires too much effort.

There’s no hope for me.
Somehow the combination Roon + ifi ZEN Dac v2 + Macbook Pro + CalDigit TS3Plus at some point drives the DAC to fail. I also use the iPower X but I get the same behavior without it.
What seems to workaround the issue is to disconnect the DAC from any power source for a couple of minutes. Now my guesses are for USB unstable current, noise from static electricity, I don’t know. But, why it has to exhibit the issue only for Roon, I don’t know. I guess it has to do with the frequencies.

FYI, there’s also new firmware for iFi ZEN DAC v2, released on November 03, 2021.

1. Firmware 7.3 – MQA / DSD256

Full MQA Decoder. PlayStation 4 & 5 USB compatibility.

2. Firmware 7.3b – DSD512

All original output upto 352/384. Playstation 4 & 5 USB Support.

3. Firmware 7.3c – GTO Filter / MQA / DSD256 (Sub-version)

All PCM LED colours will be the same colour due to GTO filter. GTO filter which upsamples USB audio. MQA, DSD256 (Windows), DSD128 (Mac), 384kHz. SPDIF output disabled (on USB to SPDIF capable units). No GTO for SPDIF signal. No DSD512. No 768kHz. Added PlayStation USB compatibility

Ich nutze die erste davon und sie läuft gut.

Now my guesses are for USB unstable current, noise from static electricity, I don’t know. But, why it has to exhibit the issue only for Roon, I don’t know.

Somehow this might be it.

I did blame the I power x, but not
I did blame the iSilencer, but not
I did blame moving from fixed (RCAs into an integrated) to variable (balanced into a power amp)
But now I just had to attach some usb sticks, so I had to move the dac to a usb c, using a OTG cable from my iFi hip dac, iSilencer, usb A to B. Not a single stop in 4h of MQA playback. So it must be the combination of Roon, (Macs) USB ports and the Zen DAC.

So maybe switching the ports, using other combos makes the problem go away.

I reedited this post since was the last one and found out this meanwhile

Thank you for this. I thought it was just me.
Even when I switch USB ports the issue is present. For me, what eventually works is to power off things and then connect them again.
I don’t know who to blame but the common factor here is MQA through Roon…

You are welcome, i also thought it was just me, it is something in the chain of mac roon usb zen dac. I cannot wait to upgrade the dac :slight_smile:

Hey folks,
I’m adding myself to the exclusive list of users having issues with clippings and lossless/enhanced bounce in the Roon Core on Mac mini and iFi Zen dac v2 (on iPower X) chain. Initially I thought I could use the dac without the power adapter, but in order for the mac os to recognize it I had to disconnect/connect the USB cable after each boot! That was the only way my Mac could see the dac. That problem went away when I added iPower X in the mix, but now after 10 days of use I started having the same issues you guys described above: Roon core switches back and forth from lossless to enhanced when listening to MQA albums, which totally ruins the listening experience.

Thanks for sharing.
Last night I rebooted the Mac mini for the first time since Roon Core moved to it and I had this issue with Mac not recognising the iFi Zen DAC until unplug and plug back the x iPower. Played MQA with no problem for 3 hours, till a normal FLAC went in. After that went back to switches back and forth from lossless to enhanced when listening to MQA so I had to plug unplug the USB. I am counting the days with the iFi Zen DAC now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like