mR and difference between RAAT / NAA

Both RAAT and NAA are alternative ways to transmit audio over a network. Brian’s response to the query about the differences between them is further up the thread as follows:

The NAA daemon was created by Jussi at Signalyst before Roon was released. It is not a standard but is a proprietary protocol. The NAA daemon is licensed to all licensees of the HQ Player software.

RAAT was initially implemented for Roon Remote outputs, rewritten and released for Roon Ready devices and then extended to all Roon outputs in Roon 1.2 in April 2016.

I understand that the NAA software in the mR is not separately developed by Sonore, but is a particular version number of the NAA daemon released by Signalyst… Sonore can update the version of the NAA software in the mR through the mR updating process.

1 Like

Interesting. So in theory HQPlayer could use RAAT, and RAAT would fulfill all needs, including the combination with the MicroRendu ?

I don’t know enough about NAA to draw that conclusion.

Well, I was hoping for an answer more from a RAAT point of view. You could generalize to any SW player if it helps.

The KB has more info on RAAT and there is more info about NAA here.

The major differences between distribution by HQP/NAA and Roon/RAAT at the moment are:

HQP/NAA supports DSD512, Roon/RAAT doesn’t (yet).
HQP/NAA supports multichannel. Roon/RAAT doesn’t (yet).
HQP/NAA supports Room EQ and upsampling. Roon/RAAT doesn’t (yet).

Roon/RAAT outputs can be grouped to play the same queue. I don’t understand that you can group HQP/NAA devices.

Roon actively assists hardware manufacturers to become Roon Ready. I don’t know what the position is in relation to other software players. On the one hand I suspect Roon would welcome wider use of RAAT by anyone, on the other they may not be willing to give away all the IP associated with RAAT, Let’s drop a flag for @mike and see if he can fill us in.

1 Like

Also RAAT’s free - on as many devices as you like, and has very little lag. Two reasons I like it on top of those already mentioned.

Just to share I use TL-SG108E switch for my cas network as well, and I’ve to enable the IGMP Snooping in the confit page then it works without problem.

Hi I use TL-SG108E as well, for your fluctuating ethernet transfer, enable “Flow Control” on it will fix. Your other switch should have this enabled by default, where TL-SG108E has disable it by default.

Paul, I’ve just stumbled across this thread and seen your post about the TL-SG108E settings. I reported I was having severe problems trying to use this switch in my network with Roon. Are you saying that turning flow control on will possibly resolve the issue?

Geof,

Yes I turn on flow control and fixed the playback problem. But later on I find my home computers on LAN is suffer from browsing problem. Sometimes my Chrome can’t load a page and need to refresh to make it, so eventually I give up the TL-SG108E.