Multi-channel HDMI-output RAAT streamer under $260

Archimago has a review up of a small fanless Windows computer he’s using as a streamer. The key is that you can stream multi-channel audio to this one which will come “out” of its HDMI port. You can also use it to stream to a USB DAC.

He does some measurements of it, a Pi 4, and an i5 NUC, by the way, and finds that the noise profile of all three are basically the same – no appreciable noise on the USB outputs.

7 Likes

I’ve been advocating PCs like this as an endpoint only option, ie running RoonBridge or NAA, for years. Especially for those needing Windows drivers for their DAC.

There’s an even cheaper version which he says will work:

Seems like a simple way to get multichannel output from Roon.

3 Likes

Almost tempted to order one just to play with at that price!

I just did!

1 Like

Actually, most any of those cheap all in one PCs will work.

2 Likes

I like my fanless 5Vdc UP gateway, ATOM x5-Z8350

Made in Taiwan by AAEON, part of ASUS Group

2 Likes

Any reason one cant install ROCK on one of these and just use as an endpoint (with the core running elsewhere)?

I’m exploring doing so to eliminate all the Windows nonsense.

Hi @Noel_Versten1

Welcome to the Roon Community.

I purchased the Mele from the first link and ran it with Rock without an issue.

I also used Ubuntu Server on it with Roon Bridge for Linux. Worked without an issue.

:innocent:

I’ve been using Rock on a gen 3 Nuc Atom based thin client for years as an endpoint and it’s been able to handle multichannel via its hdmi when I tested it. Don’t own any myself used a test file to try it out ages ago. Nothing special really needed for this.

1 Like

Rock can be used but runs a risk about drivers as it comes with a pre bundled set for nucs and may not cover your component’s in the Mele… I’ve run it on an old Nuc gen3 Atom thin client. You have to install and try it often the network cards might not work, but using a usb adapter can get around this side of things. You can always install a simple Linux distro to get around windows unless the dac needs drivers for the higher rates of DSD for multichannel.

1 Like