Multi-part grouping different disks of the same album

@Tony_Casey I did try it originally. Roon had never recognized the 5CD version, nor was I able to manually choose it using “Identify Album”. Roon did recognize the first 2 CDs as an Album though.

Strange, pretty sure I got a match against the 5CD version but I cannot check. Roon didn’t do it automatically though. I had to do a manual match. Sometimes with a manual match it can look very poorly correlated but if you double check it is often only the running time of the tracks that are a miss-match. Roon is very conservative with matching running times but I have only found it useful once when I was able to use it to pick up I had a bad rip (truncated track).

Downloaded Yate. Would someone tell me how to enable multi-part on those disks that miss it?

Hey @xred,

Thanks for the info here! In this particular case there was a 2 disc version as well as other versions, and so the 2 disc version was what was selected. Depending on the number of tracks total here, one of the other identification options has the correct metadata. If it’s the 44 track edition, the option below the one currently used (Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies [1963]) should be correct.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Thanks, @dylan, that did it! There was a 41 track version (the set is 41 tracks not 44), that had a correct multi-part breakdown, which I picked. It put everything onto a single disk, but then I split it up as per set via the Fix Track Grouping – which wasn’t too hard.

1 Like

@xred

Hi Felix, are you aware that there are different editions for each album metadata group? In this case, picking the SACD 6-disc 41-track edition might have got you what you wanted without any editing at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I remember trying to get a match a year a go and the 6 SACD version wasn’t there but the 5 CD version was and I ended up using that one instead. I’ll re-identify when I get home.

This is a very good example where it is easy to under estimate the effort that would be involved in a manual edit. Fixing the grouping is just the start. Karajan did at least 4 Beethoven cycles. But this is the landmark one recorded between 1961 and 1962 and released in 1963. In principle, all that sort of information can be recreated manually but that is really a lot of work. Auto matched like this you get all that sort of detail with no effort at all. I’m glad there has been a result.

Thank you, gents. Definitely will keep it in mind for the future. @joel, I picked the SACD version, and things seemed to have worked fine, except on the last CD (no. 6), multi-part didn’t kick in. It did on the prior 5 disks.

That is closer to what I remember. Are you matching against a 5 SACD version? There wasn’t a 6 SACD version when I did this. But it was a long time ago and I was hoping from some of the comments that there was now a 6 SACD version.

There is only one SACD option, and that is what I picked. It appears to be 6CDs, just that the 6th disk wasn’t multi-parted.

It’s not multi-parted, because TiVo doesn’t consider the parts to constitute a complete performance of contiguous movements. From the track titles, it’s rehearsals of three of the four movements of the 9th (which may not have happened in the same session, although they probably did, but do not constitute the whole of the 9th). The main performance of the 9th is on disc 5.

Personally I multi-parted the rehearsals to tidy things up. It’s interesting when you want to listen to it, and you’ve made the choice, but its a good use case for BANROONRADIO when you don’t want to be surprised by it. A lot of the new box re-issues have these “bonus” disks of rehearsals and interviews bundled in I notice. Similar to pop/rock out-takes I guess.

Thanks, @joel. Totally buy the explanation. However, let me ask, what does TiVo have to do with it?

Tivo owns Rovi, or vice versa :slight_smile:

pardon my ignorance, but what either of the two has to do with this exercise? (I feel I’m missing some crucial bit of information here.)

Hey @xred,

TiVo (Rovi) is one of the sources that provides our metadata. They are the same provider for the information found on AllMusic.

See TiVo Music Metadata

Tim

wow. thanks. I had no idea TiVo was in the business of serving music metadata.