Multichannel music playback

Matt, thank you for your reply.

You will usually get noise, if you haven’t set PCM conversion for the core in your roon client.

Are you talking about “DSD playback strategy” in the Device setup? Yes, I set it as “Convert to PCM”. I understand that with “DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)” there is gigantic noise once you play a DSD track. My problem is once I connect a core and AVR/Universal player with a HDMI cable there is a noise like the one when tuning a radio. It’s even before playing a track in a NAS. When streaming as well. Considering this situation, my core (i3 10th gen) is radiating the noise. Any idea to stop this?

Haven’t used Ari’s service yet, but I’ve been planning on it for a while. Just need to pack all of them (SACDs, DVD-As, & Music Blu-rays) up and ship them - one of these days, I’ll find time.

DoP was designed in a way that it produces low amplitude noise if played as PCM. You may even be able to hear something like the original music hidden in the noise. From your description of hearing “gigantic noise” and hearing static even before you start playing any music, it sounds like something else is wrong. I assume other connections to the AVR work normally?

ddean, thank you for your advice. My entire connections are as in the attached image. Can you see anything wrong?

Nice diagram :wink:.
First thing I see is you obviously drive your 703 surround speakers with two Linns. How can this be? Each speaker connected with each of the Linns?
What speakers exactly deliver noise, all or just a few?
I guess you already tried a direct HDMI connection between NUC and AVR, right? And disconnect USB.

First thing I see is you obviously drive your 703 surround speakers with two Linns. How can this be?

Normally you should get 2ch power (for SR and SL speakers) from a same power amp. Yes, I understand. But if you compare SR/SL and C, the center speaker must be much more important audiowise. Therefore I just chose to take the power for the center speaker from the second best amplifier.

What speakers exactly deliver noise, all or just a few?

The tuning-a-radio noise comes from the front speakers most clearly, although they may be sounding at other speakers more quietly? And the noise also comes when AVR is turned off (I only turn on Klimax Kontrol pre amp when listening to 2ch sources).

I guess you already tried a direct HDMI connection between NUC and AVR, right? And disconnect USB.

Yes, I tried this as well.

Because of the noises, I disconnected USB and HDMI cables between the Core and Oppo.

Sigh…

O.k. Then you should go for more structured tests. If you hear the noise primarily from the front speakers, you want to start with their environment. I’d suggest turning off all component except the Chakra. Then listen.
If the noise persists, also disconnect the Chakra from all components except the front speakers. Then listen.
Also don’t forget to check all speaker connections and the relevant components’ settings. And add more connections step-by-step. Also exchange cables.
Shouldn’t be too difficult to identify the component or connection responsible.
If you think all tests identify the NUC itself then there’s also a chance of a software problem. Is the noise only with multi-channel/DSD or with stereo as well?

Sorry that I was not able to reply early. Well, I think I tried every possible tests with different patterns, although I can’t exchange speaker cables.

If you think all tests identify the NUC itself then there’s also a chance of a software problem.

Which kind of software problem? I always update the ROCK to the newest version right after its release…

Is the noise only with multi-channel/DSD or with stereo as well?

It is not a mulichennel-or-2ch issue or PCM-or-DSD issue. (As I wrote before) the noise comes out even before I select a track. It happens right after connecting a HDMI cable.

Do you get the noise if the NUC is USB connected to the Oppo and the Oppo is analog connected to the AV8802A — but no USB from the Oppo, or HDMI from the NUC, to the AV8802A, and no HDMI from the NUC to the Oppo? Not that this setup would work for MCH, as I believe others have previously documented that the Oppo doesn’t pass MCH on through HDMI — but it’s another isolation test.

I used to do HDMI from my old core server (i7 running WS2016 and Audiophile Optimizer) to the AV8802A and never had any noise issues. So, I know it can be done. JCR

Do you get the noise if the NUC is USB connected to the Oppo and the Oppo is analog connected to the AV8802A — but no USB from the Oppo
I think I tried this, and there was a noise. Anyway I understand that there is no USB output from the Oppo UDP-205.
HDMI from the NUC, to the AV8802A, and no HDMI from the NUC to the Oppo?
As I wrote in my previous reply to Matt I also tried a direct connection between NUC and AVR. (As there is only one HDMI output at the NUC, I cannot have two HDMI connections from the NUC at the same time)
I believe others have previously documented that the Oppo doesn’t pass MCH on through HDMI
What I am going to do in the first place is to use Oppo as a multichannel DAC (then to AV8802A via analogue cables). So it is ok with me.
I used to do HDMI from my old core server (i7 running WS2016 and Audiophile Optimizer) to the AV8802A and never had any noise issues.
It can be done as long as I don’t mind the noise. So I believe it should work. So the problem is how to get rid of the noise…I am not familiar with Bios settings or such issues. Is there something I should look at? If I bought a Nucleus I could complain to Roon. As I chose a general purpose NUC, it is not the case.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.