Multichannel music playback

I’m interested in the service. Thanks!

The endless theme…
From a PC you can’t get DSD through HDMI (there aren’t any driver available). But if you’re using a USB-DAC like the Okto Research DAC 8 Pro (I’m owning one), then it’s possible through USB also in multichannel.

1 Like

I’ve been chasing the elusive Multi-channel Hi-res playback system and recordings since I discovered SACD’s and the OPPO BDP series of capable players. Being late to the game as usual, the SACD format was already abandoned, availability was limited, and it seems most of the music I wanted in 5.1 was out of print. At the time I knew nothing about Roon, streaming music, ripping CD’s or purchasing music downloads. That all came about when I bought an OPPO UDP 205 and found Roon referenced in the documentation.

I’ve been frustrated with Roon not being able to play DSD over HDMI, whatever the reason, but it does play MC Flac and MC DSD converted to PCM. Hope that will be resolved with some future update but decided not to wait. Purchased a Roon ready streaming MC Dac. That was a game changer. Now I can rip my small SACD collection to DSD and play the files.

So now I have a capable MC Hi-Res playback system but I’m still searching for the recorded MC music files, DSD or Flac. After reading the posts here I tried a roon search with (edition 5.1) and actually got a few results. Interesting that the results are all listed in the @Geoff_Coupe album page.

So, Goalline, goldeneardigital.com is the website for the service. I used Ari to rip my SACDs. DVD-As, and Blu-ray Discs for about a year, until I had all my music on bit perfect files for playback. I could easily rip my standard CDs to FLAC, but the hi res discs were beyond my computer savvy. His work is first rate; I never had a problem with any files he completed for me. I have no $$ interest in the service, except to pass his expertise on to others, like you.

For your information, this is from the website —

Pricing:
• Standard CDs (includes Redbook and “HDCDs”) - $1.25 per disc
• SACDs, DVD-A, Blu-Ray Audio (stereo) - $5.00/disc
• SACDs, DVD-A, Blu-Ray Audio (multichannel, + stereo copy) - $7.50/disc

With Ari’s help, I was able to build my digital library without having to pay HD Tracks, etc., for files from discs that I already owned. My discs are still with me, but gathering dust. You won’t be sorry.

3 Likes

You are a godsend. Thank you so much. I have a ton of SACD discs and just added a new one today, in Arnesen’s Magnificat. This will make them so much more accessible around the house.

Which MCDAC did you get?

The MCDAC is the exaSound S88. Decided on that one after reading a review in Stereophile.

1 Like

Glad to help. When you connect with Ari, tell him Mike says “hi”!

Will do. Thanks again!

That is such a nice unit. If I get back into multi channel audio that is on the list of possible DACs.

Something like that is usually way above my wish list expenditures. My wife and I reached an agreement, she picked new flooring for the house in exchange for me picking the DAC for the entertainment system.

1 Like

Wife got a whole kitchen remodel when I got my pair of REL subs and an OLED TV. Tit for tat. :blush:

2 Likes

I am running multichannel via Roon using a fanless mini PC (Win10Pro) HDMI out into Rotel RSP 1576MKII. Everything works well, except I had to change from 7.1 (I have a full Atmos system) down to 5.1 or all of the DSF files had bad stuttering/glitching (constant). I could play 7.1 PCM files but it choked with converting 5.1 DSF to 7.1 PCM. DId not appear to be a question of processor load (using NMUCFNH 10th generation i7, 8m ram 500g NVMe M.2, no other zones running, processor load same as 5.1)

I run both DSD and PCM 3.0-5.1 content through HQPlayer. My setup consists of a Windows 10 endpoint running HQPlayer, connected via Firewire to a TC Studio Konnekt 48 audio interface. I use the 12 outs, channel mapping and bass management to feed a bi-amped 5.1 system, plus headphone monitoring. This system is also for mixing in surround and for film playback.

I’m considering getting an ADAT 8ch expansion to get another 8 outs for experimentation.

You shouldn’t be upmixing to 7.1 anyways IMO. Films matter less but music really shouldn’t be upmixed if you can avoid it.

Agreed, not a fan of up mixing in general. But I do have a some 6.1 recordings, which work on 7.1 but obviously not on 5.1

6.1 is super rare, I’ve actually never seen any music in that format. I’m really curious what recordings they are?

I guess theres possibly concert DVDs and BDs that might have had 6.1.

Look for DTS ES encoded discs. I don’t have them sub-categorized separate from DTS “CD’s” so producing a list would take more time than it is worth, but some are:
Studio Voodoo-Studio Voodoo
Sheryl Crow-The Globe Sessions
Insane Clown Posse-The Wraith: Shangri-La
Crystal Method -The Legion of Boom
Everclear-So Much For The Afterglow
Don Henley - End of the Innocence
Medeski, Martin and Wood - Uninvisible
LTJ Bukem – Planet Earth

IIRC, there are some on DVD-A discs as well.

Only way to listen to multichannel tracks stored in a NAS is connecting a Core and an AVR (or an universal player like Oppo) ? I want to do this, but huge noise coming out ot the Core makes it difficult for me…

I connected my NAS to a ROCK NUC (ethernet) to a a non-roon AVR (HDMI). You will usually get noise, if you haven’t set PCM conversion for the core in your roon client.