Multichannel music playback

Nope, still remixing to 2 channel.

See my edit above your post.

Read the whole thread for more/additional information.

1 Like

Cheers for that. Just tried it Google and came up blank.

If you donā€™t have an option to change the Channel Layout in the device setup from 2.0 to something else, my guess is that it is not supported to play multichannel. I have the same with the Oppo 205.
Multichannel mixing should switched to Channel mapping only if you have the exact surround layout of speakers as the surround files channels.
Downmix as needed mixes the surround files according to you Speaker layout. (eg. 5.1 surround files mixed to a 4.0 Layout system sends the centre channel to the front left and right)

1 Like

tidal has dolby atmos music on the Apple TV 4K app. Dont be expected to be amazed like a multichannel SACD

Good to know, but my HT is not equipped for Atmos.

Well you arenā€™t missing anything.

Just about what I figured; thanks!

There are still some compelling options out there for playback of Atmos Music. See this article: Atmos Music: A World Beyond Movies.

Would love to see Roon become a player in this space.

1 Like

Iā€™ve ripped a number of SACDs to be used on Roon (through an external hard drive) and I love them. Does anyone know of a website that carries a large number of multi-channel albums from SACDs or that are equal in quality to SACDs?

162 titles here to choose from. JCR
https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Multichannel

Thanks. I was actually wondering if itā€™s possible to download multi-channel music from any website so I can put it on the Roon?

Yes. The primary challenge is the limited number of multichannel downloads available. Try 2L, NativeDSD, and eclassical for sources Iā€™ve used. Roon supports both multichannel DSD and PCM. Note that playing multichannel DSD without first converting to PCM requires a multichannel USB or network DAC. If you play multichannel music over HDMI, PCM (or DSD converted to PCM, somewhat computationally intensive) works. There is no simple (or otherwise) workaround for DSD over HDMI.

Good luck!

Alan, do you own any MCH SACDs or DVD-As?

jonmrife@gmail.com

When you say ā€˜there is no simple work around for DSD over HDMIā€™. What do you mean? Iā€™ve had a few BD/SACD players that could output DSD over HDMI, so is it the receiving HDMI DACs youā€™re referring to as being unable to process the incoming DSD?

Iā€™ve always hankered after a multichannel SACD music system but have never had the right room for it. Always a door in the corner where I need to put a rear speaker or no space to pull the seating forward so the rears are nicely angled. I nearly did it once, with 5 x little PMC active mini-monitors in the near-field. No real need for a sub with SACD as most discs are 5.0, not 5.1 but wouldā€™ve added some oomph.

I mean using Roon to play multichannel DSD over HDMI. Many people would like to attach the HDMI output of their computer to their AV receiver/pre-pro, and (with some tweaking) that will work for PCM but not DSD. Roon is happy enough to convert DSD to PCM on the fly, if you have a fast enough CPU.

For fans of immersive music, 2L is now making it possible to download Auro-3D recordings embedded in FLAC files. Although the link implies that an HDMI connection is required to play these with Roon, I can confirm that I was able to use my Roon Ready Trinnov Altitude to play these files over the network from my NAS.

In addition to Auro-3D 9.1 mixes in FLAC 5.1 files, some Auro-3D 11.1 mixes are available as FLAC 7.1 files.

Now if only someone could figure out a way to play Atmos music content with Roonā€¦

1 Like

Oh I see, so old BD/SACD players could do it just fine but computers canā€™t? That seems like an odd oversite. I wonder if my Nucleus can output MCH DSD over USB and HDMI?

Of course, no need to use HDMI if you have a multichannel enabled Roon Ready endpoint (like the Trinnov Altitude).