Multichannel Playback Problems

Windows 10 core with Roon 1.3 build 276 64 bit.
Files are all stored on an internal drive.
Output is HDMI on same machine -
(AMD HDMI output, WASAPI (also tried ASIO4All with similar results) - to a Marantz SR5007 7.1 receiver.

i’m having two major issues;

Channel mapping of stereo to 7.1 is not working. The signal path indicates channel mapping of stereo to 7.1 is happening, but there is no surround channel or subwoofer output.

Enabling DSP sample rate conversion with 6 channel source, or even with channel mapping of 2 channel sources to 7.1 turned on, causes an error “Transport: Failed to initialize the output device”.

Let me know if you need other information.

That is what channel mapping means. I assume you are playing 2 channel files.

Really? I assumed it was similar to what JRiver does, which is to create a simulated 7.1 signal from stereo. What is the function of the “send stereo/mono content as 7.1” slider then?

Also, the low bass information is being completely lost, so some sort of crossover seems to be applied to the stereo channels, and the low pass signal is being lost.

It is. What you seem to be asking about is upmixing to simulate/synthesize multichannel from stereo sources. Channel mapping simply puts the 2channels of stereo into the FL/FR channels of 5.1 or 7.1.

Dunno anything 'bout that stuff.

Not as far as I know. In both ROON and JRiver, I play stereo as stereo with no bass lost or rerouted. The same settings play multichannel as multichannel.

This was introduced in Build 242:

This release also contains a change to our default stereo/mono playback behavior when talking to multi-channel devices. Previously, the full channel layout was always sent, with silence sent to unused channels. Now, stereo/mono content is sent using the “2.0” layout, and only multi-channel content uses the selected layout. There is a new setting that allows users to revert to the old behavior if desired, but we expect that the new default will work for the great majority of use cases.

I’m able to do the stereo -> multichannel upmixing automatically on my AVR (a Denon 3080), so when I send a pure stereo stream, the Denon upmixes this to what Denon calls “7 channel stereo”, and when Roon sends multichannel, the Denon automatically turns off the upmixing and plays it straight.

It looks like I didn’t read the online doc carefully enough, so that’s my mistake. I’ve become accustomed to JRiver’s JRSS (which is great for music as it leaves the front L and R unmodified) and assumed that is what channel mapping meant.

I think my high pass problem is caused by the Marantz not properly automatically switching surround modes when it sees the 7.1 signal with signals in only 2 channels. When I manually switch to either stereo or 7.1 multi-channel, the low bass content is there.

That does leave my “Transport: Failed to initialize the output device” error message though. Should I assume Roon cannot apply dsp to a 7.1 or other multichannel signal? If so that prevents me from using dsp at all on this system since I often mix and match 2 and 6 channel flacs in playlists. Also (if my assumption is correct) it would be preferable if Roon could switch off dsp when encountering a multi-channel file, rather than throwing an error.

Nope. I do it all the time.