Roon Core Machine

NUC5i3RYH

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear RAXE300

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone 13

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

1. Despite ARC showing an album is downloaded, when I select it there are no tracks available to play

2. Arc won’t play Tidal content but Tidal plays same content straight away

3. Arc can’t navigate around many public Wi-Fi connections that have good connectivity on http

Hi @MrDenis,

There were server-side outages affecting ARC performance during the time of your post that the team has since resolved on the backend.

How has ARC been performing in the last two weeks? We’ll keep an eye out for your response and troubleshoot any remaining symptoms.

Hi Connor, Arc is consistently unreliable. Albums that are downloaded won’t play. Arc seems to want to stream them rather than play from local. If I’m driving I don’t have time to play with settings - when it works great but at present it’s only 20% reliable

Hi @MrDenis,

Diagnostics from ARC show a litany of timeouts on routine requests to both your Core and Roon’s servers.

A test to perform to try to isolate the issue is to compare playback of Qobuz/Tidal tracks to local content that you have NOT yet downloaded to ARC. Streaming service audio streams will route to/from ARC directly to/from Qobuz/Tidal servers (although the authentication for the stream still passes through your Core), whereas local content relies fully on your Core upstream connection.

If Qobuz/Tidal content plays back more easily, which appears to be the case from your most recent comment, then we can assume there’s a blockage in your Core’s connection to ARC. Given the other open thread you have, the tech support team has a suspicion we can resolve both issues by gaining a more complete picture of your home network.

1. Are you using a VPN or any enterprise- or corporate-grade security on your home network?

2. Is your ROCK hardwired via Ethernet?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware in your setup that isn’t in the topic description above? IN particular, modem/router combinations, access points, or managed switches can be responsible for Core-side timeouts.

4. Your Core-side diagnostics indicate that your Sonos devices are not communicating properly with Roon. Roon is, in fact, unable to parse any information about the devices through your router. Is your router firmware up-to-date? If there’s an issue with the router’s interaction with UPnP, it would affect both Sonos and ARC.

Hi Connor, thanks for your response.

In answer to your questions;

1. Are you using a VPN or any enterprise- or corporate-grade security on your home network?

No

1. Is your ROCK hardwired via Ethernet?

Yes - directly into one of the router ports

1. Do you have any additional network hardware in your setup that isn’t in the topic description above? IN particular, modem/router combinations, access points, or managed switches can be responsible for Core-side timeouts.

Virgin Mediahub in modem mode. My network is extended via a wireless bridge with KEF LSX speakers wired to the other side.

1. Your Core-side diagnostics indicate that your Sonos devices are not communicating properly with Roon. Roon is, in fact, unable to parse any information about the devices through your router. Is your router firmware up-to-date? If there’s an issue with the router’s interaction with UPnP, it would affect both Sonos and ARC.

I don’t appear to be having any issues with the single Sonos Play 5 I have on my network. I have updated the firmware on my router today but it had a fairly recent release on it. I’m not using UPnP, I have opened a port.

I have had another look at the empty downloaded track problem. When I’m back on a strong network they reappear instantly - they’re not being re-downloaded - they are just being refound locally and displayed.

Playback of downloaded content away from strong networks is still frustrating. Where I work there is poor cellular signal and often the wi-fi loses internet connectivity, perfect reason to listen to downloads. However, it appears ARC will not playback downloads if it thinks it has a data connection even if it’s poor or unreliable. The same when I’m in the car with patchy cellular or waiting for a captive portal to throw up a dialogue page somewhere, ARC thinks it has connectivity and so won’t play my downloads.

1 Like

Hi @MrDenis,

I appreciate the precision of your response.

This snippet is particularly illuminating and indicates there’s a potential local storage issue. Logs show a 2TB external drive, as well as a network share location, hosting Watched Folders. We’ll be syncing with development and QA tomorrow - are you able to provide a screenshot of your Roon → Settings → Storage page, and your Watched Folder settings for any storage location hosting content you’ve downloaded to ARC?

Additionally, if you don’t mind, I have a few questions to clarify conditions within ARC for the team:

1. Do you have “Download on Wi-Fi Only” toggled on in ARC settings?
  2. Do you have “Automatically Pick Best Quality” toggled on as well?
  3. Are you experiencing any memory or storage pressure on this phone? ARC logs indicate that the phone OS is reporting low RAM nearly constantly when ARC is open. However, this warning may be extraneous and not the root of the performance issues you’re seeing.

Lastly, today’s diagnostics from ARC show that Roon is constantly reassigning ports in the 60000-61000 range - Roon will attempt different port numbers within a certain range when requests to ARC fail after port forwarding had initially successfully configured. Do you know if your ISP or other software running on your local network might be reserving ports in this range?

Thank you again for your patience with this issue.

@connor thanks for that ~ I hope these screen grabs answer your questions

You might wonder at my internal storage setup - me too! I have a vague recollection Roon wouldn’t find all those folders when I moved from a MOCK build to a NUC and that was the work around to see my whole library

1 Like

@connor - have you had a chance to look any further into this?

Hi @MrDenis,

Thanks for your patience here, I understand it’s been an unforgivable wait time.

We’ve examined diagnostics further with development and concluded that these tracks are likely still ongoing internally - at least, ARC is under the conclusion that the connection was severed before the download of the audio track and metadata could complete.

This issue might be compounded by what appears to be the intermittent inability to access local files on the part of your Core.

It’s worth verifying your Watched Folders, perhaps moving content to a different directory and rebuilding the path. Additionally, I’d double-check that there aren’t separate VLANs or subnets with the inclusion of the wireless bridge in your setup. I’d restart the router to prompt any firmware downloads, too.

After checking the network, try redownloading content to ARC and see if it responds better to Offline playback. We’ll be watching for your response. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.