Multiple iPhone Endpoint Connectivity Issues

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock, NUC10 i3, v1.0 build 227

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Xfinity Wireless Router (white tower) w/PODS (x3), Roon Core wired via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone 11, iPhone 7+ (updated to latest iOS 14.1)

Description Of Issue

I can use either iPhone as a wireless Roon endpoint for listening to headphones.
But, if I want to use one iPhone to control/remote the other iPhone, I can not.

Each iPhone can see itself in the audio section of settings. However, I can not see the other iPhone as an output device in the settings section, nor can I transfer music or control the output to the other Apple iPhone.

I have reset the iPhone 7+ as a ‘new’ phone. Only installed Roon and a few other apps, i.e., clean installation as I thought there might be a conflict between the two phones. I’ve seen similar issues, but no resolution from other forum posts.

Have you checked to make sure it’s not configured as a Private Zone? I know whenever I enable mobile devices they default to being Private Zones. I guess the thinking behind it is to prevent someone else cranking up the volume if you are using headphones.
The Private Zone slider for mobile devices can be found under Device Setup.

Nope…did not think to look there.

It was indeed setup as a private zone. Checking to no (private zone) seems to have fixed my issue. Thank-you for taking the time to reply with a solution.

No worries, enjoy the music :blush:

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

I think that was the fundamental issue, but now the iPhone endpoint is a bit sketchy.

The endpoint isn’t always available for remote access. I have to manually play from the endpoint to ‘wake’ it up so my remote control iPhone can play music to it.

Is there another setting that needs to be changed to always allow one phone to see the other as an endpoint?

I have found that if I close the Roon app on my iPhone/iPad then the other Remote device can no longer see it. This also happens with my Fiio M11Pro as well. Again, I think it’s a quirk of mobile devices, though others may chime in to correct me.

Is this a known bug? Apple specific issue or something that is in works for Roon to update?

I can’t be the only person doing this with the amount of iPhones available.

I believe most people using an iPhone/iPad endpoint are also controlling it from there. Your case of controlling a iPhone endpoint with another iPhone client appears to be bit unusual to me.

Mobile devices/apps tend to turn off stuff not in use, to conserve battery. If I have music playing on my iPhone, it continues to play even after locking the phone, and is visible as a zone from other clients. However, if music is not playing the zone disappears from other clients immediately after locking my iPhone.

How are you using your iPhone as an endpoint? Connected to an USB DAC?

I haven’t tried this, but maybe if your iPhone is connected to a charger and configured to not auto-lock, then the zone will stay?

Correct, endpoint connected to USB DAC and power with Apple camera adapter.

I’ll try removing the auto lock and see if that alleviates the issue. Ty!

UPDATE
I have confirmed if the endpoint phone does not have auto lock engages it seems to work as I would like. I wonder if there is a more ‘elegant’ workaround (without purchasing a new endpoint).

For $47 you can assemble a RPi4 in a FLIRC case and RoPieee or RoPieeeXL. It works great with ethernet or WIFI.

EDIT: Maybe I’m confused and the price is $74, not $47.

Fair enough…is there a place (website) where I can purchase all these bits or do I have to purchase individually and configure myself?

I found the FLIRC case, but I get a bit lost on the different options for RPi4 and then have yet to dive into the OS and power supply etc…

I’m in the US and got mine (3) from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYQRXTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG4DW52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like they have raised the price a little. Or, maybe I was confused and the cost is $74, not $47. Anyway, it’s a great little device and works perfectly. The 2GB is fine, you don’t need the 4GB Pi.

I was also going to suggest the RPi4 (I recently built 3 of them), but @Jim_F beat me to it!

I prefer the Argon One case because it moves all the connectors to the back for a very clean look. And it costs only $10 more.

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-raspberry-pi-4-case.html

The total cost will be well under $100, which is nuts considering Apple charges $39 just for the “camera adapter”.

The other option (which will run you around $160) is to build a RPi unit with a touch screen. Its really nice to have the display art and basic transport controls.

I’d be happy to share a shopping list if you are interested.

IHMO, either solution is functionally and aesthetically better than an iPhone with a camera adapter hanging of it :slight_smile:

I built one with a screen using these pieces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WXK38YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, those links definitely help. Just need to review the different Roppie OS. All new to me.

Display is nice…but not sure I will benefit from its use. My iPhone is fine for that.

If I want an endpoint with coax digital output I need something like the Allo one digital? (Different use case.)

There are various HAT’s that can be added to the RPi4 to give you different outputs. I’m not familiar with those. You would need a different case. If you plan to only run Roon, you can download and flash the RoPieee software to the micro SD card using Etcher. If you think you might want to use AirPlay, you can download and flash RoPieeeXL or you could upgrade to that later.

I don’t see myself using airplay for all the negative down sampling.

I’ve seen a lot of fuss about power supplies, I’m guessing all these switching type will be the same, whether the one that was liniabove or the official ropi without getting into some super expensive linear power supply.

You don’t need a special power supply. The one I linked to is fine.

1 Like

I use the RPis built-in USB output, no experience with digital output HATs. Looks like Allo DigiOne should work. There’s also HiFiBerry (https://www.hifiberry.com/digis) to consider, quite a bit cheaper.

Right, I was looking at the cheaper Ro pier oringial power supply.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Official PSU, USB-C, 5.1V, 3A, US Plug, Black SC0218 Pi Accessory (KSA-15E-051300HU) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8XHMJZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_voXKFb06M3SDS