Multiple problems with latest builds

Hi @ds_2,

Thanks for checking the laptop on the Core, we have narrowed down the issue to just impacting ROCK in that case.

By wlan, do you mean the WiFi? I wonder if you maybe have different settings for the WiFi vs Ethernet, if you plug the laptop in using the same Ethernet cable from ROCK, does it still work as expected?

What is the exact model of this gear?

In your WebUI I’m also seeing a DNS of 192.168.1.1 which is your router. Maybe this is not working correctly, you can try to use static IP with a DNS of 8.8.8.8 as a test (but please be careful when settings static IP as setting the wrong subnet range can sever the connection).

Yes, laptop is using wireless connection. It does not have ethernet port so I cannot try that before getting an adapter.

I see no difference in router settings between wired and wireless.

Cable modem: Cisco EPC3825
Wifi router: Linksys EA8300

I think DNS is set on cable modem (there are 2 addresses defined) and prefer not to touch them as they are provided by ISP. How it could be DNS issue when laptop roon is working and every other service/device is working correctly? Also as I have said, nothing changed in my network this year.

Is there way to reinstall ROCK latest build to make sure it is correctly installed?

Hi @ds_2,

Thanks for those details.

That is very strange to see two DNS addresses there. I understand you don’t want to accidentally create an issue here, but would you be able to call up your ISP and ask them to verify the DNS settings on the modem and if they allow the option to switch the DNS to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS? Often they can do this check and DNS change remotely.

DNS servers can be unreliable and impact different operating systems in different ways. ROCK runs off of a Linux OS, while your laptop has Windows 10. Windows 10 could have gotten a network update at some point to deal with the type of DNS issues you have, so it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Yes, there is. I would first ensure you have a Backup of the current database and then:

• Reinstall ROCK OS:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Use the fresh database for at least a few days to see if the issues occur on the fresh one
  • Restore from backup

Hi @noris,

Thank you for explaining why DNS could be problem with Rock even if others work with existing DNS.

I added Cloudflare DNS addresses to wifi router and now those are used instead of DNS set in cable modem (provided by ISP).

After adding Cloudflare DNS and Rock reboot, Tidal synced correctly (all missing data was fetched) and have been working since yesterday without issues!

This was difficult to understand because problems started with new Roon builds and I had not made any changes to network. Maybe newer builds require more from DNS servers?

1 Like

Hi @ds_2,

That’s fantastic news, happy to hear you sorted this issue out by changing the DNS servers!

DNS serves from your ISP are not always reliable. It can work fine until it doesn’t, which is why changing the DNS from ISP to another provider is suggested when dealing with networking issues.

In any case, do let us know if you run into any other issues with Roon and we can certainly take a look if so!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.