Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

+1
We also have a family plan, and one issue is that my GF’s tidal favs are missing from our roon library, but the biggest is, every time she plays music at home in roon, my playing stops while I’m on the road in my car. Annoying :expressionless:

That’s interesting…are you saying you’re able to take your Roon library on the road with you in the car?

No.if you use the Tidal app for your account to play music, then Roon cant. Tidals licensing allows one device to use the account at a time. Roon counts as one device even though it can play to multiple zones (a god send really). This is why people go for family accounts as you each have one and each can play on a different device. I had this yesterday as I was using the Tidal app in car via BT to the stereo whilst driving . I kept stopping and the it dawned on me after reading the message as to why it stopped as.my partner was playing music via Roon. So everytime I pressed play playback stopped her side and vice versa. We hat music Tennis for a while :slight_smile:

100%. @danny, this is our #1 enhancement wish. Setting up a second profile for my wife was very disappointing.

Okay - that makes sense Simon - thanks. Musical tennis would be endlessly frustrating!

Although, there was somebody recently who said they were able to use Roon on the road & access their full library. Essentially what I could understand was some kind of mirroring process & a third party app/piece of software.

Using a VPN and a lot of tinkering it’s possible. Not for the faint hearted non network savy though.

Aaah - so there are workarounds if your highly computer literate. Interesting - thanks.

Search tinkering section. Lots of threads about it in there.

KK - likely over my head - but as users ‘we’ often talk about the wish to have Roon travel & it seems possible with tinkering.

I have to disappoint you, sorry, I was using tidal from the android auto app while driving :blush:

But as others have said, you can access roon through vpn, it works.

Thanks…

There’s been plenty of talk, especially recently, about ‘Roon on the go’. Seems that’s like the #1 ‘major’ feature request. Hence my question.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi there my beloved makers of the Roon!

I am using Tidal as my main source in a multi room setup. It would be very clever to give every user the possibility to add his tidal account.

It is not because playback stops if two people are listening, but every user needs his tidal to add songs and find songs they added on the go in the tidal app.

Please add this!

8 Likes

Seconded!!

Thirded…I need this. My wife wants access to her Tidal playlists and albums when we’re at home, but she’s stuck with what I have. It’s actually the same Tidal account, just different users on the account. If Tidal an accommodate family user accounts, Roon should be able to too.

Same here,…

Got two users in Roon, but we are doomed to use the same Tidal account…
PLease change to 1 tidal account per 1 Roon user

Please change it, it makes no Sense having a multi user multi room software that uses only one streaming account!!

Well I agree - seems Roon does not & expects families to pay for separate accounts. Not a family friendly attitude - driven by bottom line (I assume, rather than technical constraints). Yet, I can’t imagine many families would purchase more than 1 account as it is; it really makes no sense in the 1 household.

I can appreciate the complexity it would add to the Roon app which is built around there being just a single user. It would be nice for a future version to become truly multi-user where upon signing in you chose a profile (just like Netflix). The more profiles, the more Roon will have to work in order to create the proper experience for each user. Different Roon profiles could be connected to different streaming accounts.

Well, there are profiles available in Roon now, but I agree that they are but a pale shadow of what is needed…

To make profiles more useful they should allow specification of a Tidal account of each specific user (with the default being the main account).

10 Likes