Music File Management

If you know who the artist is, just type the name into the funnel.

Ah. I have it sorted by recent acquisitions, Date Added.
Roon keeps track of four dates, Originally Recorded, Originally Released, Released (would include the re-release Date), and Added. But you can sort only by Released and Added, and filter only by Released.

Hi,
Chris took your use of “recent” to mean “Sort by date added”, there are other sorting options including “Sort by date” which can be configured to use Original Release date or Release date in Roon’s settings.

1 Like

Cool, I didn’t know that.
@pstrisik I’m sorry, I was wrong, Roon is even more flexible than I knew.

1 Like

Well well. I’m finding something workable thanks to help here. I configured date to be date recorded in settings. I then focused on Jazz and on Vocal and sorted by date. So far so good, but cumbersome to get there. I then created a bookmark for “Jazz Vocals by Date” and it works for this example.

The only request that comes to mind immediately is to display the date on the album in that full view. Similarly, I notice dates are displayed for “Main Albums” when viewing, say, an artist page. But dates are not displayed when you click to view all albums.

I’ll set up more bookmarks and see how this approach works as a substitute for folder browsing.

1 Like

The expanded path is available on the Tracks screen. But it is not on by default. It is interesting for those that have highly structured folder structures with a lot of information “hidden” in path names. There seems to have been two strategies in the past. Some used custom tags but some did much the same thing with path names:

Asked myself the same question many many times. I’m afraid there is not ever going to be any satisfying answer.

@brian

this happened to me recently with the HD tracks version of Tales from topographic Oceans by yes…

"Imagine you import Kind of Blue, and Roon totally misidentifies it as Swedish House Grooves 2004.

One day, months later, you go to listen to Kind of Blue and it’s missing. So you go searching for it.

You have no idea that it is now Swedish House Grooves 2004."

It was id’d by Roon as “Hi Vibrations Box Set” and here it is as tagged on my PC:

Took me a while to try and find it by going through my Yes albums and finding the erroneous listing.

So, how can we I’d erroneously Id’d albums???

Another call for folder view, HAH!!!

Filter the track browser by the path column. No folder browser needed :slight_smile:

Great. Thanks brian. I had no idea that was possible!

Will check it out.

Of I were you guys I would not allow roon or any other player to make changes.
For me I go into the folders and only allow read as a permission. This will ensure roon does make a pile of damaged files. It has happened to me a few times and I had to reload the damaged files. I have some 24TB of music over 100k in albums.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Does Roon modify or corrupt files?

In my experience mis-identification is quite rare.
But I now avoid it: my “home” screen is the Album browser, sorted by Date Added, so as soon as I’ve imported an album I look to see how it showed up. Sometimes it needs editing (especially Tidal), and I do that immediately.

And btw, neither Roon’s automatic identification or my edits affect the files.

2 Likes

Well said …

It’s even more messy with classical

For Rock , jazz etc I have

Music library>rock>a>Ace>Album 1 etc

For classical I split by Composer

Music library >classical>b>Beethoven >orchestral>symphonies - Karajan

Then 2 non std Collection for big boxes & mixed composers

Not sure if that casts any light

It stems back to using this structure on a USB drive for my streamer pre Roon. That was the navigation method

That said I can go accurately to any file

Maybe more rigid recommendations may help Roon’s searching accuracy, but they cannot inflict a structure

Mike

1 Like