Music in My Garage (or The World's Cheapest Roon Endpoint?)

When it’s not too cold or too hot I like to work on projects in my garage. These usually revolve around some vehicle related tasks but also include some furniture refinishing and repairs to household items. I like to listen to music while I’m tinkering.
A few years ago I rediscovered a set of Cambridge Soundworks outdoor speakers I purchased back in the '00s and never used. I also scrounged an unused Pyle 15W/channel amp I had laying about. A Amazon Echo Input (the one without a speaker) was enlisted as a source. At the time I subscribed to Pandora. Problem solved.
I gave up my Pandora subscription and moved to Amazon Music. After getting frustrated with the limitations of Amazon Music I unsub’d from that service, too. Finally I wound up on Roon and Tidal. Much happier now. Able to listen to my music and streaming music anywhere in the house. But not in the garage.
I already had the little amp and the relatively nice two way speakers setup at my workbench. The Echo Input was not going to work with Roon. I didn’t want to spend any money on solving this problem. After digging around in drawers and cabinets I came up with an unused first generation Chromecast dongle. How to recycle this for the garage system? Ironically (?) Amazon to the rescue. A $15 HDMI to composite video/analog audio converter was acquired. Both the dongle and the converter require a 5V power supply (no problem, I have lots of USB style 1A chargers). Plug the Chromecast dongle into the converter, plug the converter into the Pyle amp and…oh…you can’t use the Google Home app to configure a first generation Chromecast. Instead download the Google Utility App and initialize your ancient dongle. After that the Home App works fine. The dongle appears in Roon’s configuration and Voila! Roon in the garage. Total out of pocket (in this decade): $15.
The sound quality is perfectly adequate for the environment and listening levels. Now if I could only use Arc with Android Auto…

Link to HDMI converter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2VKSPT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

13 Likes

Android auto is in test in the early adopter channel.

2 Likes

Love it. Very creative!

1 Like

Good idea, I just finished my project for proper bathroom sound last weekend: An old phone and my old TV soundbar (from Canton no less). Furniture feet from Amazon (20 eur). Grille built from a few wooden sticks (5 eur) from the home improvement store, acoustic fabric (25 eur) from www.akustikstoff.com tacked to it. Grille bolts from eBay (6 eur).

Quite proud. I still have to make the cables pretty.

6 Likes

Nice. I use a chromecast audio dongle into an old Apple Hi-Fi speaker. Perfect tool for the job.

:+1:

Alas why did they stop CCA :unamused:

In the kitchen I use my mains powered old iPad Mini (ie the battery is shot) and BT to a BeoPlay A1 , sounds OK until you use the microwave :joy:

2 Likes

Nice! Can it stand to be dripped on from the sink?

Done the cables today, quite satisfied :slight_smile: It’s significantly less deep than the sink, so it’s not a big problem. It’s a bit wider though, so there is some drips danger left and right, but doesn’t get really wet (I’m old enough to behave) and it has a rather sturdy-feeling coat of varnish. I can always repaint it or something if necessary. The grille fabric is water repellent, so I hope it stays clean for a while, but should be quick and cheap to replace if need be, now that the frame is built

:slight_smile:

I bet it sounds great when chopping ice in the blender. :slight_smile:

How long does it take to have a bath ?, I shower maybe 5 mins in the room max

BUT my singing voice is so wonderful who needs Roon :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

5 minutes shower most of the time but various grooming stuff takes longer in total, sometimes I shower longer to relax, sometimes I soak in the tub and read, in rare events there might be two people involved …

Sometimes I run in and out when cleaning the apartment, so multiroom is nice. The neighbors appreciate if I don’t turn up the main system to hear it under the shower.

Anyway it was very cheap because I had the main parts, it was fun to build something, and it looks good. Totally worth it.

1 Like

Cool beans Gary😉 I’ve had similar issues as I spend about as much time in the workshop as the house (think the ever-loving likes that) but as it’s remote and on a different mains supply from the house access to the network needs a Wi-Fi hotspot to access Roon reliably which is a pain. However, just got a booster from my ISP which gives great connection. Now a shopping opportunity arrives to upgrade the Bose Wi-Fi speaker to a proper amp and connect up the superseded Bose accoustimass speakers. Could be spending more time tinkering…

2 Likes