Music Skipping Issue in Roon When Playing Local Files (ref#HQGXJP)

Hi @Nick_Dedman,
Yes, your logs have come in thank you! I’m going to bring this to the rest of the team. I’ll get back to you when I know more.

1 Like

Hi again. I have “Resolved” or at least troubleshooted the issues with other media players that started around the same time, which all started occurring after Microsoft’s Window’s 11 updates, so a lot of updates involved. Apparently AMD’s display driver likes to think it is the most important even though it is just there to provide basic audio pass through functionality. If I turn the 2nd display (connected to my receiver) on after I turn my computer on, it gets in the way of all sorts.

But if I’m looking at it from the perspective of “It used to work, now it doesn’t, what changed?”, Roon started misbehaving before I enabled the AMD display.

I have used DDU to remove all Display drivers, installed Nvidia first, then just installed the basic AMD driver, no additional software. Then I uninstalled Roon, re-installed it and had a glorious night listening to music with your algorithm picking music from Tidal. I really want this to work. Only problem was, once I restarted my computer, playback stopped happening again. Both from Tidal and from my hard disk.

I have also resolved Roon Arc issues. It says it is confirmed to be securely accessible.

Are there any tips or advice from your end?

Edit: I should add that previously I had suspicions that somehow WASAPI was having difficulty connecting to my devices in some cases, but it turns out the issues were GPU related when playing video files and WASAPI seems to be ok.

Hi @Nick_Dedman,
I’m very sorry about the long wait for this response. Can you try turning on the HDMI passthrough setting on your Marantz?

https://manuals.marantz.com/sr6015/eu/en/GFNFSYkabkahie.php

Hi, I’ve just tried this as suggested, and it is behaving as it did before. Works before the restart, skips after the restart.

I’ve been resorting to uninstalling Roon, restarting, reinstalling Roon, and restoring a backup from before a restart but after it has collected info on my library.

It’s a bit labour intensive than, so I’ve not been listening as much as I’d like.

I’m getting to the point where I’m very nearly ready to do a complete fresh re-install of Windows. I strongly believe that the recent windows update that introduced the AI copilot broke a lot of things behind the scenes on my system, so hopefully a version with it already streamlined into the code will iron all that out. I’ll install it carefully, checking Roon at various stages.

I’ll keep you updated in the next few days

Good news!

I’m pleased to say the re-install worked. It seems Windows 11 managed to get itself tangled up somehow in a relatively short time of less than 6 months.

Not many programs on there, although I did at one point try the free version of Norton that was bundled with my motherboard which proceeded to produce bsod’s with error codes that would lead you to believe it was a hardware error, not a software error.

Uninstalling it resolved that problem.

I also managed to trace extra CPU usage from Asus’s Armory Crate and Nvidia display drivers in Windows’s background task scheduler.

Tasks were being unsuccessfully started several times per second, which took up the best part of a CPU core, and probably interrupted priority queues.

What a mess. I’ve never seen anything like it in all my years. I tried several ways of non destructively installing windows without losing my programs, including a newly developed way that Microsoft has just introduced where you don’t even need installation media, but it seems the best way is the old fashioned way. A fresh install.

Roon has been up and running for several days now, Arc configured correctly, no playback issues on any devices. Thank you for your patience and tips.

Great software

I’m glad your issues with Roon are solved and you can enjoy your music again!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.