Music Skipping Issue in Roon When Playing Local Files (ref#HQGXJP)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

Roon skips through tracks rapidly

My music is stored locally on the same PC that that I run Roon on.

Yesterday all of a sudden, I loaded up Roon after setting up Roon remote and Roon Arc on my Android phone, and it started skipping through all the music I tried to play.

The music is accessible and plays on my phone.

I tried a lot of things, but ultimately had to uninstall Roon, delete settings/library and start again to get it working.

I came back to it today after it was working fine yesterday only to have the same issue, skipping through tracks that are on my local machine.

I’ve removed both Roon remote and Arc from my phone, by first clearing cache and data and then uninstalling.

I re-installed Roon, and it worked as it should. Re-started my computer, and the skipping problem arose again.

Roon sees my computer as the Library and as Roon Remote.

I hear a clicking sound coming from my Schiit Multibit Card (Jotunheim 2 amp) that I would normally associate with the card switching from a 44.1KHz multiple signal to a 48KHz based signal or vice versa, even though the source material is mostly the same sample rate.

Another thing I noticed is when I close Roon and try to use WASAPI in another app, I have to close the systray icon before it will recognise my sound hardware.

I wonder if roon is somehow blocking itself?

I’ve just started paying for Roon about a week ago and I’d like to be able to use it. It would be really nice to know if this was something to do with the most recent update and if the next one would fix it. It would be a shame to have to stop using it as i’d really started to like it.

Roon installs both a client with the UI and a Server portion which you see in the notification tray (on Windows at least). Do you have another server or is this your only server?

It’s my only server, my main PC.

I also had both apps installed on my phone which could playback the files from my main PC, even when the main roon program started skipping them.

This happened either a day or 2 days after the update, and on the same day I installed the apps on my phone

This is correct and expected. RoonServer will take exclusive control over the audio. I turn it on/off all the time when I want to play games on my rig instead of listening to music.

ARC and Roon Remote are completely different and discussion on what is happening on one is not relevant to the other.

Leaving ARC aside for the moment, you are saying that if you play a track from the RoonServer to your phone as the playback device it works. However, even when that works, if you play something from the PC to a DAC, it will “skip”. And when you say “skip” do you mean it goes to the next track, or, playback drops out and then continues. And, if it is “goes to the next track”, does any music play at all and then it skips, or, does it just skip through the whole queue without playing anything?

Can you describe the audio chain that is skipping, as well as posting a screen pic of the Signal Path.

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ve just been promoted a trust level. Hopefully I can reply faster myself.

I currently have 4 outputs enabled, including a system output in case Wasapi is the issue.

A Modi+ connected to a Jotunheim 2 USB
A Multibit card built in to the Jotunheim 2 also USB
A Marantz SR6015 receiver over HDMI using the pass through from my AMD 7800X3D. It used to be connected via my Nvidia GPU but that didn’t work either.

All of these work from a fresh install, until I restart my computer. Then when I play back it attempts to play each file one at a time, stops trying between 5 and 8 attempts with the message “too many failures, playback stopped”

Both the Schiit and Nvidia do it one song at a time. The Multibit clicks every time as if it is changing Bitrate. For some reason the AMD output does 5 songs instantaneously.

I should probably mention I’ve seen the playback light flash up all kinds of colours, but I’m only testing with FLAC’s

RoonServer can respond like you are showing if there is another program which initially grabs control of the audio devices.

Do you have RoonServer set to start on login? Start Roon, right click on the notification tray icon and make sure Launch on Startup is unchecked. Then reboot the PC, wait for a few minutes and then start up Roon (which will also launch RoonServer).

(Also as an aside, you should name your audio devices in Roon and I would suggest concentrating on one, the Modi. And, I am a fellow user not official Roon Support as an FYI.)

I normally do name them, but there’s only so many times I can go through the whole process of setting everything up, creating playlists etc before I want them to be permanent. They are named now.

The photos are Multibit, SR6015 without Wasapi, and then with Wasapi.

I’ve just tried what you suggested and unfortunately it’s the same result.

Hi @Nick_Dedman,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help in ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs? Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi, I just attempted playback at 20:43 UK time

I’ve just realised I can’t access “device setup” for the Multibit card. I can’t remember which setting I switched within device setup that stopped device setup from showing.

After this happened, I installed a fresh copy of windows 11 alongside my current with all my programs and files intact. That was the version I did all the tests above with.

Today I reverted back to my initial windows 11 install. I had installed some VST plugins for audirvana so I could get some panning functionality while listening to music, and one of them was messing with playback of video files on JRiver. It would stall after finishing one video and I would have to close the program and open it again. This persisted even after uninstalling.

I don’t have any plugins installed on my current windows install. I did have an Asus AI noise cancellation program that has been removed, and it was there when everything was working fine.

I also have Dolby Access and DTS:X for headphones installed. Again, they have been there all along.

I was wondering if I should uninstall and re-install Roon to get fresh setting and access to every menu?

Maybe it would show the system working Vs not working before and after a restart?

Ok, the plugin wasn’t responsible for JRiver. The issue with that has returned, It must be an update from them.

No plugins are installed on this version of windows, the install is relatively new. Before you replied I was considering re-installing everything to get Room working. But that would have to wait a couple of weeks

Hi @Nick_Dedman,
We’ve enabled diagnostics on your account and found that the error with the AMD is trying to play stereo media when it only supports a multichannel. You can fix this by going to device setup and enabling send stereo/mono as 5.1

For your other issues if you have a VPN enabled try turning it off to see if it improves the issue.

Hi,

The AMD fix seems to have got it behaving like the others. Are there any circumstances where Roon would play 5.1 through HDMI to my receiver?

I disabled my VPN completely, closed Roon and the tray icon, loaded it up and tried each of the 4 outputs (including system output) and it did the same as before for each.

I had configured my VPN to allow
Roonserver.exe
Roon.exe
RaatServer.exe
to bypass the VPN completely

UPnP seemed to be working. I initially got no messages about double NAT, but if I waited a day or so I saw a second entry in UPnP on my router and a double NAT message in Roon.

This was when the trouble started, when I started setting up the mobile apps. Tbh I don’t really need them. I’d rather just have Roon working locally serving my headphone amp and receiver.

Are there any behind the scenes settings that have changed in my account since I set the mobile apps up?

There was also a software update from you guys the day before it happened…

I should probably add Re: Roon working locally. The USB interfaces for all my devices are very quiet when set up properly. My motherboard is also very quiet.

I’d get all kinds of noise from my previous mobo, but this one I almost didn’t need to feed my DAC power from a separate supply. It was silent already.

My receiver is obviously HDMI

HI @Nick_Dedman,
We have diagnostics enabled on your account but your server is listed as offline. When you have the chance can you turn it on for a few minutes so it can send the logs?

Turning it on now

It’s been on now for a couple of hours. It should have had enough time do you think?