Music skips; switches from PCM to MQA

I am new to Roon, Tidal and DACs, so I am not sure where the issue lies. I recently purchased an iFi Gryphon DAC, subscribed to Tidal and downloaded Roon on my MacBook Pro. I am trying to listen to YoYo Ma’s Essential from Tidal on my headphones and the music keeps cutting out. I noticed on the DAC that the music seems to switch from MQA to PCM when this occurs. If I play the same album on my home speakers using my sonos port without the DAC, I don’t hear the same issue.

I encountered the same problem listening to 001 by Maude Latour on Tidal through Roon. The music keeps skipping and the display on my Gryphon shows it switching between MQA and PCM. I then logged out of Roon and logged into Tidal directly and played the song through my DSD Gryphon without issue, so it seems the problem is with Roon. I would welcome any suggestions.

You need to give more details of kit especially networking. It sounds very WiFi to me , but i hate WiFi

Roon is a lot more demanding of network than the native Tidal app

Thanks. My Roon core is a Macbook Pro 2021 model with an Apple M1 Max chip and 64 GB of Ram. MacOS is Ventura 13.0.1 and it is connected to the internet by wifi. We have a Fios 1Gig plan and I am streaming from an ethernet-connected port iin the same room.

I am using an iFi DSDx Gryphon DAC connected directly to my computer and my headphones are Focal Stellias.

Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks

Your roon server should be connected by ethernet. Try that, even temporarily, and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

You should be more clear on your problem, so one could try to replicate it. Do you mean that this only happens listening to a specific album? Only via Roon and not via Tidal directly? It only happens when switching from PCM to MQA? What exactly skips? The entire song, a part of the song, the entire album?

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I asked about my issue 9 days ago and aside from a request for more detail have not received any response.

Post in that thread not a new one

2 Likes

@FollowTheWind, to which post are you referring? I see a number of posts from you but not sure which one needs to addressed. I can merge these when you let us know. Thanks.

@FollowTheWind, I merged your two posts so it can be addressed in one thread. Can you provide any more information in your network (router brand/model, WiFi configuration)?

There are similar reports for stuttering playback of MQA over USB. Check the following topics for example:

Thanks. I thought I had explained that but the issue is that with MQA tracks they switch back and forth between PCM and MQA during the track. I am not sure how to explain it better, it is like a record skipping or a static burst. It is intermittent.

Thanks. It was the one relating to the skipping but I seem to now be getting responses. How does it work with Roon support though.

Roon manages all support requests through this community-based forum. Many times the community can provide the solutions to questions and issues that are posted by fellow users. Roon staff monitors these and provides support, but sometimes the staff becomes backlogged and it takes some time, unless the user community can resolve the support question first.

Hi @FollowTheWind ,

I am not observing this behavior on my end, are you still seeing this?

Does the Roon Signal Path show MQA thought-out the entire track? Can you please let us know the exact local time + date when you next experience this behavior and we can take a look to see if diagnostics provide any clues, thanks!

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I asked about my issue 9 days ago and aside from a request for more detail have not received any response.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.