Music stops playing on several computers with lan connection on ROON ROCK

Hello,

I’m experiencing some problems with my ROON ROCK when listening to music. The music stops playing and then it is not possible to start again, if I wait a couple of seconds then the play button reacts and plays the song where it left off. It sometimes happens 4 times in one track and sometimes it takes a couple of hours before this occurs. This behaviour is very annoying and is present on all the computers in the network and are all connected via lan. This is also happening on my iOS devices as well.
The problems do occur when I’m listening to locally stored music (on an extra SSD drive inside the Intel Nuc) and also when I listen to Tidal or Qobuz songs.

What I have done so far is:
Bought a new router (Linksys MR9600 AX router)
Upgraded all the network cables to Audioquest ones
Backed-up to a previous version of the ROON library
Formatted all the SSD drives in the Intel Nuc
Completely installed ROON ROCK and installed the latest bios updates
Re-installed ROON on the Windows/Mac computers and also on the iOS devices
All the devices are updated to the latest version

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

The ROON Core:
NUC8i3BEH powered by sotm sps-500 linear power supply
operating system version 1.0 (build 227)
Roon server version 1.7 (build 610)
The Roon database itself runs on a PCI ssd with 232 GB available.
The music is stored on a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD with 462 GB available.
Total songs: 830.

The clients are 2 iMac computers both running Mac OS version 10.15.7 (Mac OS Catalina).
One of the computers also runs Windows 10 via bootcamp (Windows 10 version 2004 20H1).
Both computers are connected through an ethernet cable.
The iOS devices have iOS 14.0.1 installed.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Router: Linksys MR9600
Ethernet cables: Audioquest Pearl
The clients are connected over the ethernet cables via a Netgear GS105 switch with Ifi power supply
The iOS devices are connected over the 5GHz network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Normally I listen to the music with the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt via USB on both computers.
For test purposes I listen directly through the computer speakers which also causes the problem.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Greetings,

Jeroen 't Hooft

I’d install roon on one of the other computers as a server and run it on that for a while. If it works ok then it’s your rock, if it doesn’t then it’s your network

Thanks for the quick response.
Since I switched over one of the computers to a server everything works flawlessly.
In the upcoming day’s I will test every component of the ROON ROCK to see what is causing this issues.
For now the problem is solved, thank you very much!

Great to hear.
If there is a next time before spending money come here and see if the wisdom of crowds can help.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.