My DAC is ‘enabled’ but cannot be selected for playback

Roon Core Machine


Networking Gear & Setup Details

Bundled router and Ethernet to Nucleus.

Connected Audio Devices

USB connection between Nucleus and Marantz SA8005.

Number of Tracks in Library


Description of Issue

Yesterday I was changing the MQA settings for my Marantz DAC and suddenly the DAC disappeared from being selectable for playback. I’ve been unable to make it return despite trying power cycles. The DAC is visible on the Playback screen and shows as being Enabled (I’ve named is Music Room), but is not present as an option to use, only my iPad is selectable (see below).

So the Marantz is connected to the iPad via USB, right?

No. As stated above, the Nucleus and Marantz are connected via USB. The iPad just happens to be on the network.

No Roon playback for a few days now…an ideas anyone?

There is a procedure to wipe the audio settings and start over. @support
can provide it other guidance when they return tomorrow. Otherwise, you might be able to find it via search. I didn’t find it in my quick search this morning. Good luck.

Until then, are all other remotes (do you have other remotes) doing the same thing?

Edit: and I assume you’ve rebooted and power-cycled everything?

Thanks, I’ll look into it.

I don’t have any problems with remotes, it’s my DAC that won’t play because although enabled, it isn’t selectable as an output (see photo in OP). Also, as stated, I’ve tried power cycles to no avail.

Yup, just wanted to make sure all remotes were showing the same thing.

What version of Roon are you running?

1.8 (build 831)

Followed your advice and found an option to reset the device settings. It seemed like it worked although I still had problems playing MQA content. Tracks would only play as 16/44.1 even though they were MQA. Again, I seem to have sorted that too by adjusting the MQA settings to ‘No MQA’ or something. Funnily enough, I don’t think these issues were present before… Anyway, all sounding great now. I’m using Roon’s DSP to resample all content to the highest rate my DAC can accept - DSD128. So the MQA is being unfolded to 24/96 then resampled to DSD128 for output. Thanks for the pointers :+1: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:


This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.