My hifi journey + what would you do?

Seems AVR works well for you as it does for me in my living room. My AVR based setup is KEF LS50 meta passive, SVS 3000 micro subwoofer, Denon 4500, currently using a iFi zen stream as my Roon endpoint.

If your AVR is good for now you can easily put it together and upgrade the AVR later. Substitute the zen stream with the Eversolo.

Apparently not. Iā€™m not very good at remaining attentive during the context-setting part of a discussion. I tend to look for the ā€œwhatā€™s the problem weā€™re trying to solve?ā€ section and work from there :slight_smile:

My experience with and subjective impressions of, those speakers is different than yours (especially with that sub in the mix) but Iā€™m glad you at least know about them as an option.

Good luck on your quest!

2 Likes

If I remember correctly the early version had some problems but the current versions are well sorted out. You are both correct in your impressions based on your personal perspectives, just the timing probably making the difference.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not seen many (if any) AVRā€™s that measure well. The newish Marantz 70s for example is mediocre/bad at best if you look at the measurements. But I do like the convenience of the AVR concept, although Iā€™d never utilise the surround capabilities. The looks not so much either I must admit. I have a RP4 that runs as an Roon endpoint without any problems what so ever. And to be honest, I donā€™t think Iā€™d gain anything in sound quality regardless of price, by getting another streamer solution.

I donā€™t like the large screens on streamers. That seems to be the trend right now though. I donā€™t see the point in a touchscreen, thatā€™s positioned 8ft in front of you. I canā€™t see the screen from that distance anyway, and I use my iPad as Roon remote.

2 Likes

You have a lot of paradoxical thoughts rather mashed up together. AVR measurements ? Letā€™s triple the budget and then explore that.Take your time deciding, Iā€™ll be curious to see what you decide on.

Please tell me what you mean. You can measure the performance on any amp. Have a look at http://audiosciencereview.com/ to learn more.

Oh Amir, nope never heard of him :wink:

Haha good one :grinning:

1 Like

I find myself listening to headphone setups for most of my listening these days, you can pick up a very good sounding setup for less than $1000, room accoustics, speaker placement & all that aggravation do not apply.
The downside is like me, you may start to aquire different headphones for different moods, which is not an issue if you can afford it & you use them.

2 Likes

Is that badness above the threshold of audibility though? Although new ones I think they arenā€™t really making anything like super-receivers of old. My RX-Z9 has no noise that can be heard in the analog path and with a more modern external DAC does a very good job, I think. Of course it also doubles as a space heater.

Heā€™sā€¦ a very good salesman. Anything he says about audio though can be safely discarded.

Streamer per se, probably not. A better DAC, maybe (audibility is questionable, of course).

Certainly not something necessary, although itā€™s ā€œcoolā€ if anything, and at least gives you a way of playing and controlling things even if Roon is down. Itā€™s more about functionality built into the streamer itself at a decent price point. E.g. EverSolo has a good DAC, can play with or without Roon, and can be controlled remotely. The touchscreen is just a bonus. Not really sure about the EverSolo itself, as I donā€™t have it, but on my Rose I can just set it to show time and weather (scren is big enough to at least see the time across the room) while it is playingā€¦

Thatā€™s a very personal preference. Myself, I canā€™t listen to headphones for too long, but with decent speakers (and some room correction, if necessary) I can go for a whole dayā€¦

1 Like

So you have a 300m2 mancave? So 15 x 20? Iā€™d get Harbeth p3esr-xdā€™s and listen to them in nearfield, and get a small sub to fill in if you feel like you need it. The loss of low end energy in a small wonderful midrange package like that is a feature not a bug.

2 Likes

Both scenarios are personal preferences, I will say though that with the right headphone I can listen all day too, and do as I work from home. Some headphones I canā€™t listen to for more than an hour.

1 Like

Yesā€¦ I just donā€™t want to have something on my head for too long. And the soundstage that moves with your headf is (to me) annoying.

Not that I donā€™t appreciate nice headphones, just that it is not something I would use to listen for too long.

1 Like

I canā€™t stand the missing vibrations in the rest of my body apart from the head, feels like someone cut my head off and put it in a jar

1 Like

Very interesting and expensive journey. Speakers for a 30sqm basement might be a challenge. On the electronics side I would suggest Schiit Vidar, Saga and Modius/Modi with a Wiim Pro or Pro Plus streamer. All of this at retail price would be less than $1500. The Vidar has sufficient power and reserve to drive the most challenging speakers. In my case B&W 803s. The rest of the equipment is good and functional and should serve you well. All first hand experience so am confident.

3 Likes

Be a Hermit , just play music for yourself !! :smiling_imp:

Or get a little BT speaker for guests , they always talk over the music anyway

I havenā€™t used hi fi speakers for 10 years ā€¦

2 Likes

Naim Atom HDMI with Bowers & Wilkins 606 S3 Standmount Speakers (petertyson.co.uk)
The sound on Naim gear is nice and clean, Roon ready and HDMI too. They are known to have some HDMI compatibility issues but might be worth a trial. I think you ought to expect niggles with any kit due to the complexity of new tech, especially software related

1 Like

Lots of blame to go around here, but I guess the moral of the story is do some research before dropping big money. The more money you are spending, the more careful research you should do. You should especially find out all you can about the reliability records of things you are contemplating.

The first questionable decision was regarding the CD player. Partly your bad, but mostly the repair shop. If youā€™ve decided you donā€™t really need one anymore and the shop couldnā€™t fix the skipping (often it is just a matter of blowing the dust away from the laser), I canā€™t believe they told you it was probably vibrations and you should put your amp on top of it. What were they thinking? If it was non-repairable, the first decision point would be either replace itā€“lots of decent ones out there for not a lot of moneyā€“or decide you can live without one. Putting an amp on top of it is a stupid idea all around. Taking it to a shop that knows what the hell they are talking about would be an option but at that point it would have been just good money after bad. Replace the laser may have been an option, but at what cost?

If you have a local dealer whom you trust that cares about having satisfied customers and not just making a sale, you should listen. Then sleep on it. If what you have now is working for you, preferably for several weeks, or even months. I have sometimes literally taken years to pull the trigger on a hi fi purchase.

What I would do now with money to spend wouldnā€™t be of much help because over my journey I have acquired many expensive things that Iā€™ve become attached to. My Martin Logan CLS II speakers will have to be prized from my cold dead hands and I have finally figured out what (expensive) power amps I needed to drive themā€“nothing else came close. Iā€™m a separates guy and always have been. But my latest purchase, an Emotiva XMC-2 a/v pre/proc, I am thrilled with, and it would have solved your connectivity and DAC problems lickity split, and given you room to expand into multi-channel in the future if you so desiredā€“in addition to having about umpteen HDMI, toslink, coax, USB and analog inputs. But it would eat up most of a $3k budget. You just need power amps for as many channels as you are using. If you have an integrated you like, start with that. With todayā€™s rapidly changing technologies, future proofing and flexibility are key.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just going to say it againā€¦ Harbeth P3esr-xd. So musical, so compact, tune out the room by listening as close as you can. Fill in bass you need. Yum. Many other "bookshelf"s that function wonderfully as standmounts, but given the challenge of your room, acoustic suspension / sealed plus mid-range focused feels like a big thing.

Not quite 300m2 :slight_smile: I got 30m2. My room measures approx. 11ft x 27ft. Your idea sounds interesting. Thanks.