My (mostly positive) experience so far

Or it is and could be better :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Most things can always be better. One person’s ideas may or may not make Roon better. He also says Roon hasn’t figured them out yet. I would bet Roon has figured them out and doesn’t agree or has other priorities.

Exactly. Too many fanboys (of any particular product/service) are quick to say “x isn’t for you” or “you don’t understand” just because you point out a few shortcomings. I like Roon, and will probably end up paying for a license, but it could be a lot better.

Oh I’m a fanboy. Though I find that term facile at best.
I think those who use/pay for a product and aren’t fans need their heads examining.
It doesn’t stop me seeing the bits that irritate me though🙂
I’ve just become inured to the focus of change not being on what I care about.

Ranting and railing can be a vent but doesn’t create progress.

2 Likes

… which is just a truism that can be applied to near everything in life, including ourselves as human beings. So nobody would deny that Roon could be better; and still, just as it is now, it affords me many hours of joyful musical experience, day after day.

Are there things I wish were different? You bet! Would I lose sleep over my pet peeves? No way!

2 Likes

How much musical pleasure can be found in @Andreas_Philipp1 postings in What We Are Listening To [2022-07]
A monthly consomme of musical tastes.

2 Likes

:smiling_face:

(ten chars)

1 Like

It peeves me when someone on a trial, who hasn’t invested a penny in Roon, starts insulting the Roon Developers and Management team and seems to think they know better. As I suggested twice already, post your feature request in the Feature Request Category on this forum.

I didn’t see any insults. Commentary and friendly criticism. No critique, no growth.
In fact in re-reading sounds more like a fanboy to me.
I think you should think and read again yourself @Jim_F.

The OPs words

“Amazing stuff? As mentioned above, identification and management of music (especially multiple versions), audio quality (no messing around with the audio, unless you ask it to), support for multiple file formats, including DSD (although ISO support would be nice), the signal path view, showing what transcoding/dsp/lossy decompression is happening.”

3 Likes

I’ve had a lot of gripes about roon ui and other things over the years. But no other music playback software even comes close in terms of functionality. I’ve tried them all.

Nobody is perfect, nobody is ever going to universally agree on feature/function, direction, philosophy, etc. But roon has found the best balance to date, in my opinion.

You have to take their “we know best” attitude in stride from time to time, but at the end of the day they are usually right.

Raat protocol, “roon ready” certification standards and enforcement, metadata, library management (except for classical apparently but that doesn’t affect me), cross-platform support, reliable and unmatched deployment flexibility, and seamless streaming service integration are all things you won’t get in any other software.

3 Likes

This affects me a lot :rofl:, but I can assure you that it is much better than its reputation. As with every software package of meaningful complexity, as user you will have to adapt to some degree to its way of doing things. Expecting the software to fully adapt to your personal preferences in doing things is just a ticket for misery…

3 Likes

Maybe the Roon forum is not for you.

4 Likes

And in summary, welcome @_Jeremy and look around at the support feature request section, a lot of your ideas are languishing in existing requests therein.

Ah! 2017 a more innocent age…

3 Likes