Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

Any chance we can have Roon control in Linux anytime soon?
I have roon server on a linux computer (works flawless) working togheter with Hqplayer (nothing left to be desired)…
Remote control on my older Ipad is not possible…so I have to use my android phone (not very practical) or a windows tablet and a windows laptop running windows 10…
Only for the remote I have windows 10…would prefer to do this on a Linux machine…

I would appreciate your effort on this…

27 Likes

I second this request.

3 Likes

I third this request.
I really don’t want to have to faf around with Wine on various boxes.

2 Likes

This request has been made countless times. Your second and third request might as well be 200 and 300.

For some reason Roon sees their Linux solution as complete and are not interested in going further.

Unfortunately they also see their music ‘source’ integration as complete which means ‘only Tidal’ appears to be enough. This is a very short sighted business plan imo. More and more people stream their music these days and as cloud storage becomes cheaper people are even starting to store their collections in the cloud vs a physical hard drive. Don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the current business plan is destine to fail if maintained.

This is not true. Roon would love to integrate with other streaming services but other services will not provide the access to thier database to enable a proper integration. See this thread amongst many others.

Well then Roon is doomed.

External Hard drives will be a thing of the past sooner than later.

Let it go. Move on.

1 Like

Going back to the OP here is what ha been said on the possibility of a Linux ui.

Bottom line is that it’s a lot of work that they don’t see the demand for yet.

+1

I wouldn’t generally post something like that, but if Roon Labs “doesn’t see the demand”, what choice do I have?

With regards to the rhetorical question “Have you seen our UI?”
My answer is no. Even though I am a paying customer, I have never seen Roon as a desktop UI and likely never will. I’m sure I’m missing out, but the fact of the matter is that I have no (other) use for Mac or Windows. I knew there was no linux desktop client when I decided to shell out and am not complaining about being misled, but it would definitely be very nice. The remote on my iPhone is currently my only option.

Further to that point, part of the reason I purchased was because of Roon Bridge’s compatibility with Raspberry Pi. I may have been able to overlook the existence of the Roon Remote and justify the purchase anyway, but I am very confident that for every customer like me, there have been many others that were drawn to Roon due to server/bridge linux compatibility but then opted not to purchase due to lack of client compatibility. Roon has thus almost served an underserved niche market, and it seems a shame not to finish the job. The fact that Tidal itself does not have a Linux client makes this a really golden opportunity to bring a great listening platform to linux users.

Also, I can’t say that I am deeply familiar with the software architecture of Roon Remote specifically, but given that it has already been developed it for 4 very different platforms, I find it hard to believe that significant technical hurdles exist that prevent a linux client from coming into existence. Then again, I do not know what Roon Desktop actually looks like.

4 Likes

At least give us Linux folk a HTML5 front-end…
Hell… just make one front-end that’s HTML5, and have all devices use that for control…

7 Likes

I think mentions HTML5 performance limitations.

Agreed though, a Linux desktop client should be on the cards. Right now if you’re a Linux user you’re locked out of ability to do metadata editing other than by way of tablet (wholly inadequate) and you’re unable to interact with Roon from your PC. Kind of relegates Roon to just being a playback engine unless I’m sitting down at the hi-fi altar to listen.

Thanks Evan…

I feel as if the explanation needs clarification…

If there are performance issues with they say “the performance isn’t adequate to execute the types of UI designs that we like to build” it could be interpreted as you did in our whatsapp chat: rendering on the browser… And you know my response to that.

I, however, take it to possibly mean that the system back-end/server-side is not optimized to take the load of the queries and requests, causing the performance issues.
This can be resolved… I’d be willing to help them for free, even though it’s part of my day job to corporate enterprises.

Why not add the roon web interface extension to your core this will allow control from Linux via browser. Not as elegant as the proper ui but it works.

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

I’ve migrated away from Windoz to Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS and all it is missing is the beautiful Roon Player. The Linux install base is growing every year. I seems like the OSX client could be used as a code starting point for the Linux client because OSX was built on BSD Linux. Anyone else out there like to have a Linux Roon client?

1 Like

macOS is build on Darwin - a BSD kernel derivative. It is NOT a Linux kernel.

macOS uses their own graphics user space API (Cocoa). Modern Linux desktops primarily use Qt (KDE Plasma, LXQT) or GTK (Unity, Gnome, XFCE).

macOS uses BSD style posix user space tools. Linux systems use GNU style user space tools.

And there are many, many other core differences that matter to developers. Using macOS desktop applications as a basis for Linux development is about as useful as using Windows desktop applications as a basis for Linux development.

1 Like

BSD = UNIX
Linux = … Linux
:smiley::stuck_out_tongue:

If Roon could have a webUI more like RompR, it would be awesome.
Only reason I haven’t dropped Roon for RompR is the Audeze DSP :stuck_out_tongue:

Link or how to?