My music folder on my NUC is gone after "Roon Optimized Core Kit" update

I am using an intel NUC for my music and have recently installed a large SSD HD (8TB) in the NUC. To chose my music and organise my music I use a MAC (Ventura 13.3.1.) and an iPhone. I have started to copy music to the folder created on my NUC. (\rock.local\storage\Music)

So far I had about 2000 albums or about 1,5TB copied to my NUC in various subfolders.

Today I got a message, Roon needed an update; version 2.0 (built 1259), unfortunately I did the update.

The big problem now is that the folder *…\music* is gone. It’s nowhere to be found. Also when checking the storage on the Roon app is simply sais in red “This directory is not available. Check the directory or edit this folder if it’s been moved.”

What scares me even more is that when I check the size I see that of the 8TB this SSD has 7,3TB are available. When there should only be about 6 to 6,5TB available. The folder and the music was there 2 minutes earlier.

what can I do to get them back?

here are a couple of screenshots in case they could help.

update:

Error message:

7.4TB of 8TB free

screenshot from April with approx 1000 albums uploaded:

Im left with 2 albums:

To be frank, you have done it wrong. :slight_smile:

The internal OS drive should never ever be used as storage for anything other than the OS and Roon DB.
The internal drive is mapped under \\rock\data\storage\InternalStorage and it is that location that need to be enabled. The two storage locations you’ve added should be removed!
Make sure you copy your music to the path InternalStorage also, anything else will be lost on Roon OS updates… And it’s not supported…

And to make sure, the internal storage drive (for media) need to be initialized from the gui:
http://rock.local
This action is destructive, erasing the media drive.
Edit: Nevermind, the Web GUI shows you have i itialized the drive

Why do you have two entries for \\rock.local\data\Storage and \\rock.local\data\Storage\Music ?

The Storage folder includes ROCK’s InternalStorage folder (which is added automatically by ROCK, it’s the one that is listed first as “Roon Optimized Core KIT Internal Storage”) and any additionally mounted external disks. So having \\rock.local\data\Storage added as a path is a duplication.

As for the missing \\rock.local\data\Storage\Music, which I assume is your external SSD disk, what file system are you using on that SSD disk? NTFS?

The internal drive is initialized, but he has copied his media to a Music folder on the Roon OS drive, not the InternalStorage drive…

Did he? Something is clearly wrong, but I can’t tell what :slight_smile: The Storage folder is not normally located under the folders that belong to RoonOS on the primary disk

1 Like

Yes, i think so.
A ROCK install will always present any internal storage on the path:
\\rock.local\data\Storage\InternalStorage\*

Any other location is on the OS drive, and will be removed on updates.
(With the exception of any attached USB drives, like your screenshot shows, which will also be mapped under the Storage\-folder)

Exactly, and that’s represented automatically as this one:

And then he seems to uselessly have added this duplicated one, which refers to the Storage folder that includes InternalStorage anyway:

And this one seems to be the external disk (if I didn’t misunderstand completely) that is also represented as a folder under Storage and now missing:

Or I got completely wrong which mess exactly was created!

1 Like

I think he created a folder called Music under Storage, and copied his media to this folder.
Like in your screenshot, InternalStorage represent any initialized internal storage, and externa drives are represented by their USB Identifiers.

He obviously has got better things to do than divulge in a disussion with us geezers! :smiley:

Ah, yeah, that’s very possible.

But we can have fun guessing :slight_smile:

1 Like

But it doesn’t.

Path 1: Rock.local\data\Storage is not the same as
Path 2: Rock.local\data\Storage\InternalStorage\ as InternalStorage is just a simlink (I’m guessing) to a different drive.

In the screen clip above, under Storage (which is on the OS drive), there is a link to the InternalStorage drive and a link to a USB attached drive. If you create a folder there, it is on the OS drive which will be wiped every update.

It’s not the same and I didn’t say it is, but InternalStorage is a subfolder of Storage. Whether InternalStorage is a symlink to that points to something else doesn’t really matter for this on a Unix filesystem.

Edit: Turns out that InternalStorage is not a symlink:

InternalStorage, is, however, certainly a mount point as the second SSD is mounted there. (One of the beauties of Unix being that you can mount hardware to any directory and then access it via the directory, so that the whole directory tree is just one tree and it does not matter which parts of it are on which disks/devices)

not sure I get it.

I do have the RAM for the NUC etc, but that is not were my music is.
I did add an additional SSD HD in the NUC
Is that not correct?

should not be two entries… I apparently used an old screenshot were I tried this or that. I have only the one …Storage\Music

Yes that “…Storage\Music” is that SSD disk.
The disk was Formated by the Roon app, Its definitely not a MAC format.

Looks like something is wrong I see that but I really dont know what.

Here is what I see if I want to add a folder, and I did add it under Storage, added Music.

Thanks for the clarification, quite confusing :slight_smile:

If Storage\Music is the external disk, it wasn’t formatted by ROCK. ROCK only formats its InternalStorage, i.e., the second internal SSD.

And by the way, NTFS is the Windows format. The external SSD will have some kind of format, and if you didn’t reformat it and use the format it had by default, it may be NTFS.
I am asking because NTFS disks have a habit of disappearing. (I will go into details once I know what the format is)

this useless first folder “Storage” was deleted, I only used \rock.local\data\Storage\Music
but that’s the one that is gone.

It shows up as being 8TB so that must be the additional SSD I put in (SATA 2,5") And that showed gradually increased space used when I added music to the NUC.

I think he created a folder called Music under Storage, and copied his media to this folder.

yes I did… is that wrong?

Sorry guys, Im living in switzerland and its 11PM… I forgot that you might actually reply today I thought Im happy if I get an answer next week!!

SO yes many thanks for your “guessing” as I am desperate for a solution. I started to really love Roon and my little NUC

I did not create this. It was there, and I did not tough it as I haven’t the foggiest Idea what it is or does.

All I saw was the music I added even in folders and subfolders appeared on my Roon app once the system updated or if I forced it to update.

OK, let me try to find out… if I can.

Im not sure if I found what you are looking for.
I have probably left the formatting of the disk as is and then did the “formatting” by the Roon app. All I see is Format: SMB (Unknown)