My music folder on my NUC is gone after "Roon Optimized Core Kit" update

As explained (even if a little confusing) you should only use the folder InternalStorage and copy your media files to that one.

InternalStorage is a “mount point” and represents the secondary internal drive, in your case the 8Tb SSD.

And, remove the two storage locations you added.
The first, and preconfigured, storage location is all you need.
(when your media is copied to the correct location)

Like they said you should create your “music” folder inside the “Internalstorage” folder.
This is on PC and what mine look like (I created the “music” folder under the internalstorage location):

here is a KB that explains things:

Oh sorry, I had misunderstood this. Somehow I had thought that the 8 TB SSD was an external disk.

OK, so if it is internal, then ROCK formatted it and you can ignore the whole NTFS issue.

However, if it is internal, then the second entry for \\rock.local\data\Storage\Music is not needed and it is wrong.

As I mentioned before, the internal storage SSD is automatically configured and used by ROCK. It is represented as this automatic entry:

If you look on the ROCK in the file manager, this automatic entry corresponds to this folder:

Note that there is no folder “Music” under “Storage”. The Music files have to go into the folder “Internal Storage”

Also note the documentation:

1 Like

BUT, he can create the “music” folder if he wants to (like I did in my system). Just FYI…

OK, so if I understand correctly I dont need to bother to create a folder as I did but can instead drop my music in InternalStorage. Can I put folders and subfolders there? As I did with my previous Music folder?

And what about the formatting of the SSD. I really dont even know how to check, my MAC does not “see” it, only this smb://192.168.1.129/Data/Storage/
When I installed it I think my NUC was working I just had to find of formatting it with the Roon app.

But not in Storage if he wants the music to be on the internal SSD of the ROCK, because the internal SSD of the ROCK is mounted to the folder InternalStorage that is inside of Storage

1 Like

Yes. you can created subfolder in “internalstorage” folder.
Do n’t worry about the formatting it was done on the webUI by the Nucleus

yes, I it shoul dbe under “internalstorage”…

1 Like

Yes, but he didn’t do that, he seems to have created a folder in Storage:

1 Like

yep, did not want to belabor that point and I was pretty clear in my description of what the can do…

1 Like

WOW, OK
I will try that then.

damn I lost a lot of time… but im nowhere near the end , I think I have 6TB when Im done, so better now then later.

Will definitely read that ROCK storage basics

thank you, I definitely will, just to I find stuff if needed. Also helps me to see what I did or did not import

I know you know, I just wanted to be 100% explicit for the benefit of @Olivier_Lengwiler :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guys, thanks so much.

I learnt a lot, and I finally think I got it.

So I plan on making a folder (or several folder) under “internalstorage” just so I find what I did transfer and to help me keep organised.

I think I got it the hard way that I should not make folders other than in “internalstorage”

3 Likes

Sorry for all the confusion, we’re all eager to assist, and to make it clear; None of the reponders in this thread are Roon staff, just fellow users.

But you did get it right, you can create folders and organise your files, but they MUST be placed within the InternalStorage folder.
:+1:

And a couple of suggestions:
When copying bigger amounts of music, i always shut off the Roon Server software, from the WebGUI of ROCK. This makes sure whole albums are available during the discovery process and makes identification easier. When copying is finished, start the Roon Server again and you’ll be fine.

Secondly, i understand there are reasons for migrating parts of the library, but I’d still try and NOT move already imported and analysed media. This may cause Roon to reidentify albums and add them again.

If your library (the whole 6Tb) is in good condition i’d use robocopy or rsync to simply synchronize all your media to the ROCK internal storage.
Those will allow you to cancel copying/restart at any time as they will synchronize the folders.

Definitely nothing to be sorry about. You guys helped me actually a lot. Would have hated to loos everything once I will be done!
:grin:

1 Like

This is definitely my key learning!

I guess I will have to try that. I have large boxes to import that are official CDs but a ton. The biggest being Karajan the DG and DECCA albums… some 330 CD.

But I also have live recording of several pop/rock/funk artists that I guess are not on roons database. So I will have to find a way to import these the best way possible

absolutely, this is why I wanted my artists folders so I “see” what I already did and what not. I want to wait with the stuff that is still in a mess on my actual system.

unfortunately its not in 100% good condition, quite some mixes and unidentified stuff, especially in the live part. :wink:

2 Likes

Check out the (many) threads about box set and multi-disk handling in Roon. It’s not without pitfalls and certainly not perfect. Many people have developed best practices.

If albums end up as unidentified in Roon, it doesn’t break anything, they just don’t get automatic metadata. Once the metadata is added in some way, they work just like identified albums.

• Add the metadata as tags to the files as well as you can.
  • Before you import the album, ensure that you first add albums to the library from Qobuz/Tidal so that every artist from the to-be-imported local album is already credited on a streaming album. Then Roon usually finds and associates the artists from the new import correctly with the correct artist entries in the database.
  • If the artists on the to-be-imported album are not yet represented in your library, it can happen that Roon duplicates them and creates a new artist stub with the same name, which isn’t linked to the proper artist entry.
  • If different artists with the same name exist, Roon can sometimes pick the wrong one regardless. In this case edit/fix it within Roon. Just like before importing, ensure that an album with the proper artist credit is already in the library before starting to edit. Otherwise, Roon doesn’t find the artist during the editing, and if you create a new one because you think it does not yet exist, this becomes a separate artist stub.
  • If you end up with duplicated stubs, you can merge the stub artist into the proper one (select both artists and click the Merge button that should appear top right), but I think it’s better to avoid this to begin with. It’s a PITA…
  • I complained about it in this thread among other places :slight_smile:
2 Likes

There are also a couple of articles in the Help Portal that should be useful:

1 Like