My Nucleus stopped updating and is stuck on Roon 2.0 (build 1259). What do you recommend?

For whatever reason, my Nucleus stopped updating itself after making it to Roon 2.0 build 1259, which I think is the same as “Roon 2.0.15”, not sure. See screenshot. Roon knows it stopped updating because every day it offers to update. But that doesn’t work either.

Now what? I am pretty nervous about manually uninstalling something that works and then installing something that has given others considerable trouble, see RoonServer failing to start on Windows 10/11 after build 1272 update [Roon Investigating, workaround in thread].

Roon staff and community, what would YOU do in my situation? And yes, I have tried shutting the Nucleus down and restarting it. No difference.

One more clarification: only the Roon Server is failing to update. The Nucleus’s Operating System is currently at Version 1.0 (build 258) which is the latest. But its Roon Server Software is at Version 2.0 (build 1259) which is not.

Thanks but could you elaborate, please? Specifically:

1. Why is there no danger of experiencing the same problem others have experienced? (See my link)
  2. Having never had to manually upgrade the Nucleus’s server software, I don’t know how to do this. Instructions on Roon’s website don’t address this, because one shouldn’t ever need to do it.

Thanks.

There is always a potential for failure with any update and any set of hardware. Is this update any more “dangerous” than others? I personally don’t think so. The link you referenced was for users who are running their Core on Windows.

In terms of how you would “manually” update on a Nucleus, it works much the same as ROCK, you do an Operating System re-install. In addition to re-installing the OS it will should also install the latest RoonServer. Their is no other “manually” with a Nucleus like there is with Windows, MacOS, or even Linux. With those OS’s you can just download the latest software version and run it. Can’t do that with a Nucleus or ROCK.

However, if you are nervous about it, then just wait until you can talk to support. If you are not experiencing any issues, then you don’t need to update. Just click “NO” on the update (yes annoying) and wait. Given that something is off, I would wait til support could review your logs to see why the update is failing.

Edit, to that end I have pinged support for you.

1 Like

Hey @Steven_Erwin,

Ben with the support team here, and I completely understand your hesitations on reinstalling the OS on your Nucleus.

As a first step, I’d triple-check to make sure you have a recent backup saved. With that, I’d setup automatic backups too if you haven’t yet, it’s a great fail-safe if things ever go sour on you.

After you know you have a fresh backup saved, @Rugby is correct in that the best next step would be to reinstall the OS via the webUI of your Nucleus. You can learn how to access the webUI here (it’s easy!) :

Let me know how this goes, and if you have any questions!

1 Like

Thanks very much, @Rugby and @benjamin! I reinstalled the OS and it indeed updated the server software to build 1272. All’s well now. Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.