My Roon continues to quit unexpectedly

Roon Core Machine

iMac.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon Core keeps quitting unexpectedly on my iMac. I use my iMac as my roon core and I have nothing on this computer.

I have Roon hooked to my external hard drive to keep the computer running right. Yet, I keep losing Roon. It quits several times a day.

Is this a function of my computer being connected to the Wi-Fi? My WiFi is fiber optic and my computer is 10 feet from the source, so the connection is really strong.

How do I stop this from happening?

@Geoffrey_Alter, please complete the template in full, including model and macOS version, what audio devices are used, and the size of your library. When Roon quits, is music playing, or are you changing anything in Roon? Thanks.

I am using Roon’s most updated version. This issue didn’t start until I updated to the newest version.

My iMac is running OS Monterey 12.6. The latest version.

My external hard drive has 1.1 Terabytes. Nothing is downloaded into Roon, as all music is in my hard drive.

It quits when music isn’t playing. Occasionally it will drop the digital signal and not recognize my DAC, then it re-enables and goes back to working. That will happen when music is playing. This is annoying but I deal with it.

This new issue is when music is off but Roon is open. It quits automatically and I get an error message telling me that Roon has quit unexpectedly and would I like to reopen or quit.

My iMac is plugged into an Exogal Comet+ DAC via a USBe Perfect DDC. This issue didn’t start until I upgraded the Roon software.

Any other things you need? Happy to provide. This about covers the crux of my issue.

Geoff

Sorry for a few typos…

You can edit your posts. Click the pencil.

I would be happy if it were stable as well. The only thing I require is not having to continually restart the program.

I had exactly the same issue. Someone mentioned on another thread that they had installed Roon server rather than the full fat version and were having none of crashing problems. I gave this a go on my headless Mac Mini M1 and Roon is now behaving perfectly. My guess is that there is a bug in the UI causing the crashing. Anyway, if you don’t need the UI give it a go it may solve your problems.
PS. This appears to have become a self help group now as Support has gone AWOL!

I am still experiencing the shut down of Roon unexpectedly. Roon never responded with a solve. I gave you all the info you asked for. What else do you need to help? It is really a pain and shouldn’t be shutting down indiscriminately.

Thanks,
Geoff

Roon support will get to you, but are working through a backlog of support requests since the recent release of Roon 2.0.

A couple of things you may want to look into.

1. Try connecting the iMac to your network using Ethernet
  2. What happens if you prevent the iMac from sleeping?
  3. What is the external drive used for? If this is disconnected, does Roon still quit?

Kindly note that I am a community member like yourself.

1 Like

Thanks Martin, community member.

This didn’t start til upgrading to 2.0 or Arc. Unfortunately I can’t use Ethernet. My office is the only room in the house without an Ethernet port. I am however 10 ft from the router and it is a fiber optic signal.

Haven’t tried to keep my iMac from sleeping. It is automatic. I will look into that.

Hey @Geoffrey_Alter,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

A few follow up questions for you:

1. Does Roon crash when your external drive is not attached?
  2. Does Roon crash when your Exogal Comet+ DAC is not attached, and your audio is played from your system output?

As @Martin_Webster mentioned, we highly highly recommend any core to be hardwired to your router for the best performance. Otherwise, you are far more prone to connectivity issues no matter how strong the Wifi signal is. Generally speaking, Wifi is always more unstable when compared to ethernet.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Ben,

I have no idea if Roon crashes when my external isn’t connected. It is always connected as I have no music without it. I have nothing saved directly into Roon or on my iMac’s hard drive. I use it solely as a server. So, it only crashes in its current state.

I have never tried to play Roon without my Comet+. It is the source Roon is recognizing to play music through. I also have an Audio-GD R28.

I have Roon downloaded onto my iMac, and then the external connected to my iMac along with my Comet+. I tell Roon to pull from my external hard drive and have specifically told it to not download anything onto my hard drive as I have way more music on the hard drive than my iMac’s storage can handle.

I would like to set up thru Ethernet but do not have an Ethernet port in my office currently. My old office did and I ran it through the Ethernet. It is an extremely fast connection and my computer is 15 ft from the router. We have a 100mbs fiber optic connection. I would need to get a Wi-Fi to Ethernet box for the ability to connect via Ethernet. Which is certainly an option. I would prefer to not use wifi but my office is in the only room in the house that doesn’t have an Ethernet port currently.

Roon is closing on its own 1-2 times a day and telling me to restart it. This never happened until the new version.

Thank you for your email.

Geoff

Hey @Geoffrey_Alter,

I understand your situation. In order to better pinpoint where your issue is stemming from it would be helpful to cancel out any external factors, like your connected devices hence my questions above. If you could please save a backup, and please properly disable your watched folder and disconnect from your core, along with your endpoints to test if your crashing still occurs, this would help us get to the root of the issue much quicker. Before doing any of the below, I would also suggest giving your router and network a hard reboot as well :+1:

If crashing still occurs after testing the above, I suggest refreshing your database. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.