My Roon Server/Core continually affects my Sky HD box connecting to the network

Roon Core Machine

ROCK Version 1.0 (build 254)
Server Software Version 2.0 (build 1169)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BTHub6 - connected to ROCK via LAN & HP1410-16G switch

Connected Audio Devices

Audio streaming path via Auralic Aries Mini - LAN Connection

Number of Tracks in Library

Over 10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Roon appears to stop my Sky+HD box connecting to the network, preventing any program downloads. I can restart the Sky box and it connects and works for a while. I’ve had limited success putting the Sky box in a DMZ and it normally works continually, but as soon as the Roon software updates the old problem re-occurs.

Hi @Ian_Bateson,

My apologies for the delay in responding.

I tried to research this but am hitting brick walls. Is this the Skybox that is a satellite receiver? Can you help me understand the tie between skybox and Roon?

Thanks,
Wes

After further checking, the sky hd box remains connected to the internet, but the box fails to download any media from the internet. Rebooting the sky box fixes the issue, but only for a few hours. Using an access point connected to my guest wifi this puts the sky box on a different network away from Roon. And it works the same as if the Roon server is switched off. I’ve also noticed Alexa fails to stream the radio to a Sonos device since I’ve had Roon running, so it seems to be grabbing any streaming devices.

Hi @Ian_Bateson

There should be no tie to any non Roon endpoints and Roon functionality. Can you explain to me what your network setup looks like? What modem and router do you have and how are the mesh nodes connected? I will do my best to help!

Wes

I have a BT Hub6 Router with one LAN connection to a 16 port switch (HP1410-16G). The Roon server is connected to one port of this switch. Another port is routed down to my living room into a TPlink 4 port hub. From here the Sky+ HD box is connected. All of my WiFi connections are via 3 physically connected Eero Mesh units equally distributed around my home. 2 of them into another another 2 ports of the switch and the 3rd connected into a 2nd port of the BT router. The WiFi of this router is disabled, so that all WiFi connections are via the eero mesh network - connection to the strongest signal. During testing, the small (but unreliable) TPlink access point I’ve connected to the ‘Guest WiFi Network’ of the Eero into the Sky+HD box and I get normal operation and can download, but connection is slower. But as soon as I revert to the main network, the download connection keeps freezing and I lose streaming access. This problem started the day after I installed the Roon Server.

Hi @Ian_Bateson,

It’s possible to disable the Wifi portion of a router but have the router still handle LAN routing if it’s not in bridge mode. If this hasn’t been done, there are likely two networks butting heads here. The eero should be a 192.168.0.x scheme by default but I see 192.168.1.x schemes in play.

Please note: I’m not tech support for the BT Hub6 and may get some of this wrong.

In looking, it appears the BT Hub6 CANNOT be put into bridge mode and would still attempt to do LAN routing. If that is the case, it would explain the issues in many ways. This might be something your ISP technical team will need to take a look at but the same forums I found this information in indicate that if you want to use your own router setup, you’ll have to supply your own modem.

My sources:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4728085-use-bt-smart-hub-home-hub-6-in-bridge-mode.html

Wes

Not technical myself, but the BT router is doing all the physical LAN routing and provides the DHCP address to WiFi connections via the Eero. The Eero ONLY provides WiFi access - which is how I control Roon via my phone. All the other traffic from the Roon server to/from my streamer and internet (for TIDAL etc) is via the physical LAN routing. So I don’t understand where the Eero impacts the data flow.

Just to be certain about my assumption that the Roon server is directly impacting the Sky+HD box I switched the server off for 2 days. Prior to this the Sky box failed to connect to the ‘On Demand’ services approx 5 times each day - I reset the Sky box after each discovery. During the time the Roon server was off I detected NO ‘On Demand’ issues. The Sky box behaved as expected. Switching the Roon server back on again caused the issue to re-appear.

When I get time, I’ll do a factory reset on the router and reconfigure from scratch.

1 Like

Please do let me know, @Ian_Bateson.

Wes

Performed a factory reset of the BT Router, manually reconfigured all the setup and upgraded to the latest firmware on my Eero devices. Unfortunately the problem still occurs.

Hi @Ian_Bateson,

I think we found a couple of issues.

It seems both the BTHub and the Eero are doing some routing. My first suggestion is to disable IPV6 on your BTHub. We’re 99% on this being relevant because there are IPV6 errors in connecting to some of your devices.

Second, put your Eero network into access point mode. I know from experience that the BTHub doesn’t do bridge mode so this would be the only way to get it to where only ONE of the devices is doing routing.

Disable IGMP proxy and IPV6 on the BTHub.

Please look at enacting these changes and report back if you would. This is a really odd issue but I’m certain the existing network configuration has something to do with it.

Thanks,
Wes

It seems impossible to disable IPV6 on the BT router, but i have turned off the setting to administer IPV6 addresses. My Eero must be working in bridge mode with my BTHub as the BT wifi is swiched off and the Eero is correctly distributing IP addresses from the BTHub’s range. I could see any way to put the Eoro into Access Point mode? I have 3 configured in a mesh around the house. This is the only problem I’m experiencing. If we cannot find a solution i will purchase another 300Mbps wireless access point and connect my sky box to the guest wifi.

I don’t want you to buy anything just yet, @Ian_Bateson. Eero is working great for many Roonies and it’s just a matter of figuring things out.

This looks like the article you need:

If not, I am hoping some Eero experts will chime in.

Wes

Firstly an apology, I was in error when I stated that the Eero was distributing IP addresses in the BT router’s range. But what is strange was the ONLY physically connected device to the BT Hub LAN network that reports an IP address in the BT Lan range is the Roon NUC? So I’ve taken the Eero out of bridge mode and selected automatic (as I don’t know if I should be trying things manually - don’t fully understand what is needed). This didn’t change anything, the Roon NUC IP address is still reported. Also even though I disabled using IP addresses in the IPV6 range on the Eero I this found one unknown device reporting an IPV6 address - I have now blocked this device.

Unfortunately the Sky problem still occurs. I’ve just updated the Eero software to the latest and reset the sky box and will keep monitoring.

1 Like

Hey @Ian_Bateson,

A couple more requests/ideas. Go to rock.local in a web browser, click the DHCP tab under networking, and send me a picture of that information. Nothing there will be prone to security concerns. While you are there, try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and clicking the save button.

Lastly. Can your Eero or your BT Hub give us the IP address of the skybox?

Thanks,
Wes

Screen shot of rock.local uploaded. I couldn’t change the DNS in the DHCP tab so switched to Static and changed it. The Sky IP is set via DHCP to 192.168.1.167

I’m not sure why I typed that! I must’ve been staring at that tab. It definitely needs to be the Static IP tab but from your screenshot, I don’t see that the DNS server has changed. Did you manage to get that done? I had asked for the Sky IP to see if there was an IP conflict between Roon, one of the endpoints, or otherwise. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

Here’s an article that I think is relevant and I wish I had found it earlier on. The Skybox seems to be notorious for messing with networks.

Wes

Alway use Static IP. Did try DNS change but it made no difference. I’ll look at the article you found later.

Most of the sky issues reported in the article relate to WiFi. My Sky+HD (not Sky Q) is connected via ethernet, not WiFi. Perhaps we need to admit defeat and i get another 300mbps access point and isolate the sky box to the guest network

I am ok with that if you are. The issue doesn’t make much sense. It’s rare that I lay in bed at night and think about any particular issue but yours has been different. I’ve even talked things over with my wife who is an IT professional as well!

If you go this route, please give me a status update. For now, I will mark this as resolved.

Regards,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.