Myriad Issues with Roon Arc App on iOS

It’s more tinkering than many of us had done previously, but this community will get you through it if you’re reasonably willing to try new things.

If you truly are cost insensitive and you want a prebuilt ROCK in a nice form factor, that is the Nucleus.

And if you keep an eye on the For-Sale section of the forum, there are from time to time used ROCKs that are set up and ready to go for sale. My experience is that they are more often in the UK.

I might have an extra one soon, not hyper high spec but perfectly adequate for 2 rooms of simultaneous DSP, though not 2 rooms of simulateneous convolution. If you’re in the US and PM me.

1 Like

I have similar problems with Roon ARC: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-arc-freezes-and-crashes-on-ios/219966
Feels like that Roon ARC is still in beta :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Do you mean the Core on wireless or wired? If so the core will get two different ip addresses for each connection method so you would need to change Port forwarding to be the correct one if you are manually forwarding ports.

1 Like

I think an ethernet trial but also check the Mac settings and ensure in the power settings its set to be always on and not to sleep.

1 Like

I’m going to give this a spin when I get home shortly, it sounds like the key to all this is the ethernet connection - thanks for all the advice, will let you know how I get on.

1 Like

The thing that was not apparent to me when I got started is that you are truly running a server inside your house, inside your network. And because audio is such a “delicate” payload (synchronization, real-time precludes long buffers, myriad specific streams) plus Roon uniquely does sophisticated processing both at core and some at endpoint (eg, volume) it’s a more finicky beast than most of us anticipate.

1 Like

hey @Johnny_Ooooops I might be interested if OP isn’t. PM me with the details if you want. I’m currently getting by with using my 2014 MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my 8 year old Netgear router. :wink:

1 Like

That’s a very good point, it’s easy to forget that in this day of automation etc.

@Johnny_Ooooops, this is a great summary of the situation, and dead on point. Very well put.

@Dan_Summers, Johnny knows what he’s talking about.

1 Like

Thanks for kind words.

The corollary, that often gets lost here, is that If you don’t need what Roon offers (deep metadata, “lean back” library curation, local/Tidal/Qobuz integration, DSP, specific ecosystem extensions like RooExtend dial / 6d, displays) and/or you can achieve the goals you have in another way, then you probably should. It’ll be less expensive, and less hassle. Alternatively, if you like to tinker, it’s a great ecosystem and a great community. But the noise you hear on this forum is from people who want it all: cheap, simple, perfectly reliable, and all the features. I can and at times do fall into the noisy camp. I have my complaints. Lots of them. But for my purposes there isn’t anything that comes close.

3 Likes

@Johnny_Ooooops I’m OOH (out of hearts) like always it seems, but you’ve really hit the nail dead on the head again with this comment. For me, there is no other solution that comes close to suiting my needs than Roon. And just a few months ago, before I did my trial, I wouldn’t have believed I would be here today saying this. From all the negative comments I’ve seen over the years, in particular in various audio-related subreddits, I was very skeptical of Roon. Many view it as an over-priced, hard to use, unreliable mess.

I feel really sorry for those people that are experiencing a myriad of frustrating issues as demonstrated by all the posts in the forum. However, a certain level of technical know-how is a prerequisite I’m afraid in order to have the most hassle-free experience. The thing we all have in common is we want to be able to sit back and enjoy our music anytime we want and not have to deal with issues.

Sorry for the delay in replaying - after following the advice on here I managed to get the Roon ARC app working ALMOST flawlessly since connecting the Roon Core running on my Mac to the router using ethernet.

I’m still getting freezing issues on the app, but this is mainly when connected to the car via CarPlay, which it’s not officially supposed to do - so can’t expect miracles there.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful pointers, much appreciated!

Dan

1 Like

I’m trying to follow these threads because I am experiencing the same thing…Roon core running on a 2014 MacMini with i7, 16GB of RAM, 250GB SSD. It runs beautifully in my house on my home network. By that I mean Roon itself. It’s serving all my endpoints without issue streaming anything from Qubuz he-res to DSD 128 files. FYI my Mac Mini is wired to my Orbi satellite router with speed tests constantly above 100/40. When I launch ARC on my iPhone 14 Max Pro and connected viva wifi, Arc works fine. But when I turn off wifi and use my cell connection (T-Mobile on 5G 3-4 bars), I get the error messages listed in all these threads. I should also note that Arc was humming along just fine until the last couple of weeks.

I have an Orbi also and I found their UPNP implementation is not very good. I had the same issues as you. What works is to assign a static IP address to the Roon Core, then manually open port 55000 on your Orbi. It’s worked perfectly after I did that. These steps are all in the Advanced tab for the Orbi. For static IP address select Setup, LAN Setup, then add your core to the address reservation list using the address currently shown in Roon. To open the port select Advanced (under Advanced; I know two the same), select Port Forwarding/ Port Triggering, Enter Roon ARC as the service name and 55000 as the port. That should work.

My ARC on iOS is near flawless (occasional restarts) during long trips on the road, plane flights, downloads, etc. what do I chalk that up to?

1. ROCK that has been, umm, rock solid
  2. Ubiquiti UDM pro that has been, umm, Rick solid
  3. Port forwarding, not upnp
    Or maybe I’m just lucky.

Dan, you really don’t need 2.0 or Arc. Roll back to 1.8 which is very solid for home networking and does not require a 24/7 internet connection. Then get Plex and Plexamp app for streaming remotely. Very solid. Works every time and without a glitch.