Mysterious 5-10 Minute Delay/Unresponsiveness, Mostly When Choosing Music

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus Plus, Version 1.0 (Build 227), 2TB Internal SSD. Power supplied by Mojo Audio Joule V LPS.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubee modem. Linksys Mesh network with base node and two satellites. Modem is hardwired to base node (of course), hardwire from base node to Nucleus Plus. No known issues with network. Network Monitor not showing any outages.

Connected Audio Devices

Satellite Linksys node, hardwired to → EtherRegen B-to-A, optical out to → OpticalRendu, USB out → Matrix X S/PDIF, HDMI/I2S out to → PS Audio DirectStream DAC → Rowland Continuum S2 Integrated → Magnepan 20.7

Number of Tracks in Library

1,460 Albums, 16,400 Tracks, mix of ripped CDs and Qobuz.

Description of Issue

Most of the time, everything in the system operates as expected.

On occasion, music output will stop completely for 5-10 minutes. This happens either between tracks – especially if I’ve changed upcoming tracks while one track is playing – or it happens when I go to select the first track to play in a new session. On rare occasions, output will stop during a listening session as Roon goes from one track to the next, but I have not heard it cut any songs off in mid-play.

Roon/Roon Nucleus+ is usually up 24x7, although not always playing (i.e., I hit Stop on a remote before going to bed.) Recently, when I went out of town, I dropped the entire system including network gear and restarted/rebooted it all when I arrived home. No change.

When the outage happens, I get the jellyfish on all remote devices, and it will stay that way for about five to ten minutes. I can’t get album display, search functions, playlists, etc. Just jellyfish. After a period of time, Roon snaps back to attention, ready to go.

I can’t immediately discern any library scanning, network outages, or any other explanation for the 5-10 minute delay, though my sleuthing abilities are limited.

This outage generally occurs once a day, sometimes more often.

This is not the end of the world, and I’ve come to realize that Roon will eventually come back to life, but it is annoying/frustrating, and I’d love to know what’s causing it.

Hey @RobH,

Thanks for the detailed description of the behavior you’re experiencing - we’re so sorry!

I wonder if you could take one more step to help us understand what’s wrong. The next time this happens, could you please write down the local date and time and immediately after grab a set of logs?

Instructions to do so can be found here. Once you have them, please zip them up and upload them here.

@beka

Will do.

I’m away from the system for the next day or two, but will get logs when I return.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, @RobH. Whenever you’re ready, we’ll be here to help.

@beka

I’ve generated the logs.zip file. Do I share the DropBox link here, or send it to another address?

Rob_H

Bump.

@beka

Where does one send the .log files?

You can send the link to @beka via a Private Message - click on her avatar, then on the Message button to create the message…

1 Like

Thank you, @Geoff_Coupe

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @RobH,

Thanks so much for sending the logs - I got both of them and they’re now with our technical team. I’ll follow up here as soon as I hear back :pray:

Hey @RobH,

I wanted to thank you for your patience and for all the information you’ve shared with us, including logs :pray:

Our team has taken a look at the nature of the errors in the logs and they were all DNS related. Since that is the case, I was wondering, could you please change your Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?

Thanks a bunch :pray:

@beka

Thanks in return.

Oh, joy… messing with the network. I’m pretty much completely network-naive.

I’ll dig into the proposed changes and get back to you. I’ll have to start like a newborn and figure out how to change the DNS servers as you’ve suggested.

If anyone has a hint for how to do this on a Linksys mesh network, kindly let me know where to look.

TIA

1 Like

Is it a Linksys Velop? If so:

You’ll want to change it to either 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS).

There’s normally two boxes for DNS/Name servers, the second is a fallback. You can either leave the second box empty or add 1.1.1.1 in the first and 1.0.0.1 in the second for Cloudflare DNS. Or 8.8.8.8 in the first and 8.8.4.4 in the second for Google DNS.

1 Like

Thank you, @j_a_m_i_e

That will be most helpful. Yes, it is a Velop.

DNS settings have been successfully changed, and initial results seem positive.

I’ll keep an eye on it and report back.

Issue continues…

I’ll have a new set of logs for you, @beka

Thanks, @RobH ! We got them.

And, thanks a lot for going through the DNS change :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.