MyTek + MQA question

Here is an album that definitely shows up as ‘Blue’ on my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+:

and another:

but make sure you choose the ‘right’ version if you use the Crosby, Stills & Nash album for your test, because non MQA versions of this album also exist on Tidal.

In fact there are multiple versions of this album:

1. CD quality (16bit/44.1 non MQA) - no MQA light of any sort displayed

2. 16bit/44.1 MQA version - your DAC should display the green MQA indicator light.

3. 24bit/192Khs MQA version - your DAC should display the blue MQA indicator light.

Your signal path in this post is fine. The liberty DAC is not showing 88.2 as the MQA original is only 44.1. However a software decoder like Roon always outputs 2 times the sample rate even if the MQA original is only 44.1 or 48 which is why you saw this in the Signal path when Roon was doing the first part of the decoding. This MQA stuff is confusing but looks like things are working as they should now. Try an MQA file which shows 88.2 or 96 as the original an confirm your DAC shows that correctly.

Thank you for the suggestions hmac

I believe that this issue has been resolved and that everything is now working as it should. As of yesterday afternoon I am playing Tidal Master files through the Liberty and getting 96kHz and 192KHz with a blue led. The only thing that changed from my last post yesterday was I completely unplugged all connections from the Liberty and removed it from the rack for the purpose of retrieving the serial number to create the support ticket with MyTek. After I submitted the ticket I left the unit not connected for several hours as I had several work calls and meetings. When I reconnected everything in the afternoon and powered the unit on I played a non master album from TIdal, when it was complete a Master track was played by Roon Radio. I happened to look at the MyTek, and the light was blue! I then selected a few more Master tracks, and the same result.

So in the end I am assuming the root of my issue was some odd WIndows setting that was forcing everything through System Output. Upgrading to firmware level 1.35 resolved that, but it did not appear I was getting the full “unfold” to hi rez. Although I had powered down and removed the power cable more than once after the firmware upgrade, the problem was finally resolved when I completely disconnected the unit, left it disconnected for 3 - 4 hours, and then reconnected. BTW I did not reboot the laptop that runs Roon Core yesterday. I know this all does not seem logical, but I am happy that the Liberty appears to be functioning properly. Now its time to listen!!!

Thank you again to all that read this post and contributed suggestions to help resolve this. The Roon community is truly awesome. Happy Holidays to all !!!

4 Likes

Hi @Ken_Merrigan,

Apologies for the delay while your case reached my queue, and thanks for letting us know that you were able to resolve the issue!

As others have mentioned, you’ll want to avoid using System Output and instead communicate directly with the ASIO or WASAPI driver, which it looks like you have done here :+1:

If you have any other questions or difficulties regarding Roon, please just let us know and we a can take another look, Happy Holidays!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.