Nad Amp1 - Chromecast - Audio drops

Earlier this week I purchased a Nad AMP1 for my study hoping to be using it as Roon Endpoint since it had Chromecast builtin. Initially all went well and after enabling the new Chromecast item on my Roon core I was playing via Roon via the Nad AMP1 (using a wired connection).

However, Roon does not work properly on the Nad Amp1 via Chromecast. The audio just stops randomly after 10-30 minutes.

I think that not all Chromecast builtin devices seem to work with Roon. For testing I used my Tidal app to cast via Chromecast to the Nad Amp1 and that seems to work fine now for the past hour.

The problem is definitely with Roon not working with the builtin Chromecast of the Nad AMP1 since the Chromecast feature on its own with a Tidal stream being castee has been running now for 19 hours non-stop. Hence the Chromecast support of Roon is to blame here.

Hi @Schani_Cockx,

Is the behavior the same when playing both TIDAL and Local files? Can you please let me know your network setup here (model/manufacturer of router and all networking gear)?

It failed on a Roon playlist with local files sitting on my Roon core.

Also to run in my speakers on the Nad Amp1 I have a Tidal Chromecast running on repeat no for 35 hours without any audio dropouts. This shows my local network is ok and supports multicast.

Details on my setup:

• Network switch - AQ Switch v1 (modded DLink DGS108):
    a. Roon core + player: Innuos Zenith MK2
    b. Roon end point 1: Lyngdorf Tdai 3400 (hooked up to streamer output of Innuos)
    No issues with any of these Roon players for the past 15 months.
  • Wired access point - Netgear WAC104 (2nd floor):
    a. Roon end point 2: Nad Amp1 via Chromecast (this one fails to work ok)
  • Router: Netgear R7000 linked to both of these switches on different floors. All connected by wired lan. No wifi or powerplugs.

Hi @Schani_Cockx,

We have noticed in the past that Netgear routers sometimes require special settings applied to function properly with Roon, specifically we recommend disabling the “Enable Smart Connect” setting if your router has such a feature. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it changes anything?

Also, do you have any other Chromecast devices around the house? If yes, do they exhibit the same behavior?

Smart connect is not enabled on my router and that seems to be related to Wifi setup which is not used for my hifi devices. I have no other Google Chromecast devices to test on my network.

Hi @Schani_Cockx,

Thanks for verifying that aspect. If you temporarily connect your NAD Amp1 to the same switch that the Core is on, do you still experience the same behavior?

By accident I’ve found out that disabling the VLAN bridge feature on my Netgear resolved some download speed issues I had. It also seems to have resolved the Roon Chromecast issue on the Nad AMP1 since I was able to play 24 hours non stop now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.