NAD C 658 Certification?

Since other NAD and BluOS products are certified, will this DAC gain certification? If so, any idea when?
@support
I’ll send you mine (as long as you send it back) if it expedites the process.

Hello @Eric_Kaiser,

We have the NAD C 658 in the Roon Lab undergoing certification testing already, but thanks for the offer :smile:

-John

1 Like

Forgive the ignorance but does this mean the 658 will not operate as a full MQA renderer and decoder until it is certified? I can only get MQA working on it via the BluOS app. When using Roon, the MQA light on the front panel of the NAD never comes on, no matter how I set it up (as renderer only, decoder only, or renderer/decoder).

Hi John,

Any news yet on the certification-readiness of the NAD C658?
Thanks for yr reply!

Hello @Niek_Kuizenga,

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on the expected timeline for devices undergoing certification. Rest assured, both Roon and NAD are working to make this happen as soon as possible!

-John

2 Likes

Thanks for your prompt reply! Very reassuring!
(I just bought the unit, will get it in the course of next week :wink:

I am a passionate Roon user…

With our demo C 658, no MQA light comes on, however Roon indicates that the unit is acting as an MQA Renderer in the Signal Path.

Is there any update from ROON on this? It’s been around 3 months since it was confirmed testing was underway…

Hello @Gary_MacGregor,

We do not have any news to share at this time.

-John

2 Likes

So can I order the NAD C658?
:slight_smile:

Hello @eli_cohen,

Since we do not share timelines for partner certifications, I recommend reaching out to NAD for the latest status on the NAC C 658 Roon Ready certification.

-John

1 Like

It is now oktober and…we are still waiting for certification on the NAD C 658??? Is it so hard to decide ??

1 Like

Hi there,

I just got a message from NAD Support on the Roon Certification of the C658

" As for Roon certification, due to decisions made by Roon the C658 will not be listed as a Roon Certified device. With that being said, the C658 will continue to work as a Roon endpoint moving forward. "

What a bummer…

Anyone at Roon would like to comment on this?
Why? (Does it have to do with the Dirac Live functionality of the C658?)

In the meantime my C658 is in trouble since the latest 3.6.6. software update. Hope this will be sorted out soon.

Hi

@Niek_Kuizenga: what are the issues you’re having with the C658? I am planning to purchase this device and use it with Roon, so any info would be very helpful, also via PM in order not to clutter this thread.

@John: could you elaborate on Roon’s decision not to list the C658 as certified device? I am pretty new to the streaming cosmos - so far using mostly DLNA and/or Airplay to stream from a NAS to a Denon DNP730AE - and now looking for a new solution with Roon. Before buying into it, I want to understand if and what risks I am exposed to.

Thanks & regards
Walter

1 Like

This is what I notified to NAD Support:

Plse note that my problems with the C658 started with the newest software update. The previous software version was all right…

1.The Bluos/Roon app controls the C658, but the music just does not start from time to time
2.Also, the HDMI/Optical/Coaxial inputs are troublesome. Sometimes they don’t put the signal through, sometimes they do.
3.The only thing I can do to get this solved, is to switch off and on the machine by the power button on the back.
4. As soon as I wake the machine from standby all of these problems can reoccur
5. Also when the machine is silent (not playing music) it can start to produce ‘electrical distortive whispering sounds’ from my speakers. This occurs only when the digital/HDMI inputs are in use.
6. The C658 works all right in analogue by-pass

All in all I think the digital section is in trouble since the latest software update.

I hope this will be sorted out after the next update

Thank you very much for your feedback and despite all the current issues, I have just placed the order :slight_smile:
Are you using by any chance the MM input? Just curious to know as this was one of my compelling features to go for the C658.
Regards,
Walter

Hello @blechkiste,

The NAD C 658 has been submitted for Roon Ready certification, but we have not approved the device yet.

Roon Ready certification means that the device has passed our exhaustive QA testing process and that we are in position to fully support users when using the device with Roon.

We do not provide support uncertified Roon Ready devices.

-John

Is Roon Certification continuing or has it stalled. If you look earlier in this thread, the impression I have is that Bluesound won’t make any additional changes for Roon Certification.

2 Likes

Hi. I recently purchased a NAD C658 (plus HDMI Module). While it (mostly) works (BluOS 3.6.12 as of today) I can confirm all the same problems you are reporting. (If someone from NAD is reading here, guys, you have serious Q&A problems)

The most annoying problem ist that music is at first sometimes starting with a 5 to 10 second delay (TOTALLY unacceptable), skipping the first 5 seconds from the first track. This is not an issue for subsequent tracks. Sometimes music does not start at all.

Also, sometimes Roon does not discover the C658. In this cas you have to switch to other inputs and then switch back to BluOS. Sometimes a reboot cycls is necessary.

Again - NAD - this is supposed to be premium hardware (and the sound is awesome) - so please do more testing!

I can confirm that the C658 with the latest 3.8.8 FW is working great with roon