NAD M10 + subwoofer owners please come in :)

I have a 3000 Micro, too (with M&K S150’s which are notorious for having no bass at all). Very nice little unit!

Since it runs everything through its internal DSP anyway, I’d probably try to dial it in as much as possible, then have Dirac do less processing on the larger slice of the signal…

1 Like

I already turned 3000 Micro to -10db before calibration. Is this “dialed-in” enough?

Actually it doesn’t matter what level I set 3000 Micro to, I have tried -16, -14, -12 and -10dB, Dirac Live just dials down the sub way down after calibration.

So far, only a different curve would be able to recover some of the low frequencies.

I use the tiny Polk Audio TL3 satellite speakers for my mains. I like these because I use my M10 V2 in a tiny room of 20’ x 20’ so the 3000 Micro is perfect. :sunglasses:

About crossover, since the TL3s are rated at -3dB down to 115Hz, so I set the crossover to 120Hz, which seems to work quite well. I can’t wait to re-calibrate again to get better high frequencies now I have purchased the full spectrum of Dirac Live :heartpulse:

Throughout this whole process, Roon has been delivering so perfectly to M10 V2 so far, no matter what sources I throw at it, it’s pretty amazing, this little DAC/Amp from NAD.

1 Like

Good evening @RoonFan , yes wow 120hz you are making your SVS earn it’s keep :joy: Now keep in mind that I’m running SVS 3000 with my Marantz AVR with kef LS50 crossed at 80 hz. I had asked SVS customer’s service just to confirm and got ahold of Jack Gilvey , he said run all the low pass off and let the AVR do the crossover and LF and LFE work. I’m thinking that it’s going to be the same thing with the NAD using Dirac.

Now over to the NAD m33 , I ran the volume at exactly midrange so as to have a good range left for a bit of adjustment to match the recording. I also turned off all the low pass, phase to 0, basically flat in order to let Dirac do its thing. Now of course I’m using a B&W speaker 6.5in bass driver and crossing at 60hz. A lot of different things between our systems but hopefully some of my observations and ramblings will be of some value that you can apply.

Don’t hesitate to bounce your setup past the SVS customer service team, they got right back to me and confirmed what I was thinking based on my main speakers and the AVR system. Run the test a few times, small room and medium room I think will be fine for you, what they call it? Small seating area and medium seating? I didn’t run the wide seating option because my room isn’t big either, no big couch in other words.

Take care, enjoy the new NAD

I don’t have Dirac, so not sure what it would want to do with it, and apparently even my M&K have more bass than your Polks, but I just put on an organ concerto and lowered SVS down (-12 or so) to the point where music sounded decent. This seems to work well enough on other recordings as well. That would be my starting point when I get a proper microphone and something that does room correction.

Wow, after a week with my NAD M10 V2, the sound is getting better and better.

I even got myself a pair of Pulse Flex 2i to play in its M10 V2’s 4.1 “Surround Stereo” mode. The surround effects are very subtle but adds even more spaciousness to the package.

Unfortunately, I tried running Dirac Live again but it doesn’t recognize the surround speakers as independent channels.

After 2 weeks, I have to say, the M10 V2 has been a perfect endpoint for Roon.

Next. I am moving onto the main living room to see which DAC to add there, as I already have a Dirac Live amp for that area.

But after looking around a bit, I still can’t find something as appealing as my M10 V2. The HiFi Rose RS250A is a candidate but it doesn’t do Tidal Connect and seems to be full of bugs instead of the steadiness of M10 V2, which is a mature product.

@RoonFan It might depend on what exactly you are doing, but my RS250 so far has been far less troublesome than the NAD C 368 (M10 might be better if BluOS is built-in as opposed to coming on an MDC card though).

When being used as a Roon endpoint, RS250 gave me 0 problems, and it does have… well, not necessarily audibly better, but at least more generously specced DAC.

1 Like

@Boris_Molodyi good to hear that RS250 has been working great for you. But its price is quite prohibitive imo. For the same or less price, I could get a Volumio Rivo (a better digital transport/streamer than RS250 I think) + state of the art DAC (eg. Gustard A26/R26, or many chinese DACs with those Sabre Pro chips that are better than that in RS250). Another advantage with Volumio is that I can attach any size HDMI touchscreen so I won’t be limited to the small touchscreen on the Hifirose devices. Having said that, nothing beats the all-in-one approach of HiFiRose RS250 and NAD M10 V2 (both with touchscreen).

In any case, just sharing screenshot of my Dirac Live calibration on M10 V2 after upgrading to full spectrum. It shows that Dirac Live did many corrections above 500Hz. What I found the biggest difference is in the 10k+ region, it really recovered many highs that I wasn’t able to hear when previously using just the Basic Dirac Live version. I really don’t understand why NAD only provided the “basic” version which may lead to dissatisfied customers if they don’t upgrade.

In conclusin, on the NAD M10 V2 (not sure about V1), I strongly recommend the Full Spectrum upgrade. The sub is also better integrated than before too, the low bass issue is less obvious.

2 Likes

Boris, I see that the NAD is testing your apparently limitless patience. I’m definitely rooting for you in the quest to tame the mdc3 beast :+1:t2:

Best wishes to you

@RoonFan Oh, for sure, there are lots of even better measuring DACs, be it Gustard, Topping, SMSL or what else, although I very much doubt that one can actually hear any difference between any “decent” DACs (which NADs, or BLuesound’s would be) under controlled conditions. One of my setups is even simpler – old laptop with touchscreen and broken keyboard :slight_smile: plugged into an integrated DAC/AMP over USB. But sometimes you want to have one piece of kit that does everything well enough and sounds well.

With Rose, which I mostly control from Roon anyway, at least I get pretty pictures, imitation VU meters, and I can pretty comfortably use the touchscreen to pull something from streaming, or even my library (e.g. if I suddenly decide to play one DSD512 file I have in native format, which Roon refuses to do.

@OffRode Heh, Bluesound’s support has been… nice but than helpful. I lost count how many times I’ve sent them logs, confirmed that yes, I do have the latest firmware, nd heard that maybe they will fix it for sure in some future version. The working fix I found in Roon forums.

My patience being not infinite though, I took the NAD back (dealer was nice about it) and got a Peachtree Nova 150 instead (feeding it off of that broken laptop mentioned above). As soon as I connected laptop with Roon to it and set up a new zone, everything “just worked”. I won’t swear that it sounds better, not having them both at the same time, but it seems to sound a bit nicer, seems to bring out a bit more bass from Mission 775s. Having double the power at almost half the price (not counting the laptop which was free) doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before.

NAD provides Dirac Live Target Curves on their website, which have an emphasis on low frequencies on the default curve provided by Dirac.

Once NAD curves have been loaded onto the “Subwoofer” group in Dirac Live, all low bass issues are gone.

One thing that I don’t understand is though, why does NAD say in their support article that

Do not apply the NAD Target curve for the subwoofer group to avoid increasing bass loudness

To me, it’s strange that NAD wants the main speaker groups to have more bass, which is likely to be cut off by crossover anyway, but not to the Subwoofer Group.

Hi RoonFan.

That’s actually easy. The standard Dirac curve linearizes very strongly by default. The NAD curve corrects this in the direction of a curve adapted to human hearing, which results in a boost in the bass range in particular. Especially smaller speakers have an early roll-off in the bass range, i.e. below 50 Hz hardly anything happens.
If you now raise the bass for the sub, it can drone, which you do not want. It is better to adjust the curve manually.
The separation for the rolloff of the other boxes is then controlled via the cross-over frequency.
So, my good practice is here:
Calibrate all groups. Set the sub to the maximum crossover frequency in the NAD and on the sub. Apply the NAD curve to all groups that do not contain a sub. Set the cross-over frequency in the NAD to about half the maximum frequency of the sub. Can be read from the curve. For me it is 50Hz.
Then listen. If you want more bass, adjust the curve of the sub or the global curve manually.You can use different slots to compare the results. I have raised the bass in my room about 3db globally. But I have an acoustically very good and small room that tolerates it and I like a powerful bass.

Greetings from Germany

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Achieving Multichannel with NAD M10 V2

A post was split to a new topic: Question for NAD M10 V1/2 Owners

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I ended up setting my crossover to 60Hz for my SVS Micro 3000 sub, just before my main Polk Reserve R100 speakers start to roll off below 50Hz.

Using Dirac Live, this seems to integrate quite well, and now it’s impossible to localize where the sub or low frequencies come from! :+1:

1 Like

Now it’s sorted you can ignore it.