NAS Help Mac Mini & Naim Mu-so

Thinking of buying a QNAP NAS…I have a Mac mini, and a Naim Mu-so and want to play 24bit 192kHz files…any ideas would be appreciated.

Here are a Roon’s recommendations on a NAS.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

The only way currently to connect Roon to a Naim Mu-so is via AirPlay. I’m open to correction but I don’t think AirPlay will do 24/192.

The NAS really has nothing to do with this.

How do you get music to your MU-so currently?
do 24/192 files work?

Unless you need to het your Mac mini out of the equation, a NAS seems superfluous (unless as a back-up, but it’s an expensive enough way to back-up)

SJB

1 Like

The mu-so does have an optical input, but it’s limited to 24/96 so you could connect the Mac Mini to that using an appropriate mini Toslink to Toslink cable. In Naim’s current streaming lineup the only way to get high-res via the network is to use UPnP. Sonore did just release new software for the Sonic Orbiter which will translate Roon to UPnP and it’s reported to work with Naim devices. This might be your best solution.

1 Like

Thanks John,

The only way I can listen to 24/192 files is through the usb input or using a upnp server such as minimserver, but this doesn’t allow me to then use Roon which is just great. So, I think I’m stuck with 16/44.1 when using Roon.

Thanks Andrew,

I was using upnp before discovering Roon and have read about Sonore’s bridge, so may investigate that further

Thanks again, I’m pretty new to high res audio so your help is really appreciated. Looks like my best option and least expensive $300 would be sonic orbiter SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

Do I just connect this to my network and change settings in Roon software?

Thanks

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know. I’ve never used one. @Jesus_Rodriguez should be able to give you all of the details.

This is the basic setup:

USAGE

• Connect your server, Sonicorbiter, and your DLNA/UPNP capable device to your network

For Roon Server

• Disable any Logitech Media Servers on your network
  • From Sonicorbiter go to Apps / Software Manager update your unit and install the application
  • From Sonicorbiter go to Settings / SonoreUPnP Bridge, configure the application, and press Save
  • From Roon go to Settings / Setup and Enable Squeezebox Support
  • From Roon go to Settings / Audio Setup and Enable the SonoreUPnP Bridge under Networked
1 Like

Thanks Jesus,

So this setup will work with my Mac mini and Naim Mu-so…brilliant thanks